Humor...I realized something.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Mospeada, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm being too hard on those who really love the humor of RotF. I mean, Robots in Disguise had humor. TF: Animated had humor. Transformers: Victory had humor. Beast Wars II had humor. And yet, these things don't bother me.

Maybe it's the too many humans factor, maybe it's the difference in harmless humor for kids, and frat boy humor. But, maybe it's just personal taste that's really separating a lot of us here.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that sums it up nicely.

3. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I guess I'm trying to be understanding about it. A week later and it's all sunk in. My blood pressure finally dropped.

4. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

It's all a matter of preference. The quicker people come to realize this, the easier it is to simply move forward, or at the very least draw some entertainment out of the extremists who simply can't see anything inconsistent with their own narrow views.

I'm not a big fan of ROTF humor, but I didn't think it was as bad as alot of people are making it out to be. I just found that at times it killed the mood of the movie for me (Jetfire as a farting British senior was a good example). It probably looked better on paper. If that was your cup-o-tea, then I'm glad you enjoyed it.

5. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

I think it's just that some people are excited about the movie and they got a movie they enjoy.

Others are just bitter and pissed off that they didn't get a movie they like.

They have a right to not like it, but the insults against the people who did is just ridiculous.

Why even discuss a movie you hated? If I hate something I ignore it, I don't dwell on it and go on and on about it.

But that seems to be the difference. Happy people VS Pissed off bitter people. And the pissed off ones are pretty snarky and insulting.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Exactly this.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with having humour in a TF movie. It's not like we take transformers so seriously that humour would get in the way.

But if you're gonna have humour, keep it sharp, don't just throw in a bunch of obvious toilet and sex gags.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Very similar humor, even. "I can't pee anymore!"

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Well it didn't have annoying moms on pot brownies! Beast Wars II Thrust & Dirge FTW.

10. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I find both sides comprably annoying. I liked the film, but I didn't think it was perfect. Ironically, it's difficult to discuss anything simply because if one doesn't express absolute love or absolute discust you are either ignored or mocked (from both groups). Why is it acceptable to discuss the shortcomings of a toy, but if you feel there were some shortcomings in the movie that's automatically taboo.

The unfortunate situation here is that neither side will take responsibility for their actions. I mean how many threads are crusades against critics where posters insult and defend countless other films as if bringing more subjective content into the mix could somehow turn their opinions into fact (both sides). The extreme supporters of the film are every bit as hateful as the people who despised it. You can ignore that fact, but it doesn't make it any less true.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No, but it had racist Native American stereotype "Apache" getting drunk off his ass on oil.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Normally, I love good-ole Fashioned fart and drug humor, but not for a live-action Transformers, which I was really hoping to leave that behind in the cartoons. Unfortunately, crude humor is the second thing Bay's movies are known for...hell, he glorified estacy use in Bad Boys 2. Nevertheless, I can certainly understand why he relies so heavily on his style of humor. The masses loved it, especially women so it seems. ::shrugs:: Ah well, whatever works to make the franchise a continued success.

13. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I just realized something. Optimus Prime is the serious relief. He's the character that relieves us from the idiotic slapstick of the rest of the characters.

14. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

There's humour that goes with your taste, and humour that doesn't. Some, myself included, considering humour in British comedies to be very nicely done. Others find it weird and boring.

I have a friend who laughs with falling jokes. Every time a guy falls (either by tripping, or slipping or anything) she finds it funny as hell.

The fact is that there is a humour that anyone can make, and humour more sophisticated. Sophisticated humour tends to be more appreciated, because less people can do it. Anyone can joke by pretending to have turret's (the syndrome that causes you to swear without reason, I don't think I spelled it right), so that's why it's considered "cheap". However, there are people who might be finding this amusing. Does that mean they are retards?

In my opinion, Transformers does not need a lot of humour. The whole premise is silly (in a way) by itself, it doesn't need to be overdone. Michael Bay obviously has a different opinion, and although I find his humour crass and crude, I can't deny that he knows how to keep almost everyone in the theater room glued to his chair, laughing and applauding.

The problem is that Bay makes entertaining movies, while I want a movie that is compelling and moving, as well as entertaining.

15. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

jD001

16. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

Ok when it comes to fart jokes what we have seen over the past 25 years of Transformers IS NOTHING compared to Rhinox. DAMN!!!!

When it comes to humor give me Rattrap vs Dinobot ANYTIME.

17. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bad form, bad form... but still very true and funny. :lolol 

jD001