Humidity Control for MIB TF's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clintfca, Jul 18, 2012.

1. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    I'm currently stationed in southern China for work and have started collecting TF's here. Location gives me access to some rare G1 Japanese exclusives that I have started to collect. However this area experiences high degrees of humidity and temperature.

I was just looking at packs of Silica Gel at work and wondered what would be the positive/negative effects (if any) of throwing in a few packs inside boxed TF's during the summer seasons?

Leaving A/C and a dehumidifier on 24/7 is not an option here due. Any helpful insights from other collectors on this matter would be appreciated.

2. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Wrap the boxes in bubblewrap (best not to seal them so they can "breath", you can use magic tape on the edges), store them inside plastic bins (acid free if available, e.g. rubbermaid), yes, silica gel packs would be a good idea, no need to put them inside the boxes themselves, just in the plastic bins. No bad effects are known about silica gel so far.

3. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live in New Orleans, a city notorious for its high humidity levels. Seriously, almost every time I get out of my car my glasses fog up something awful. It gets so bad sometimes that it literally feels like you're breathing in air from a humidifier.

That being said, I've never had any issues with the humidity here and my collecting. I collect mostly out of package figures, though I have quite a bit still MOSC and MISB. At one point when I was new to collecting I would worry about it and toss a few silica gel packs in my storage containers and it didn't affect my figures (both sealed and opened) at all negatively.

4. elizasteave

elizasteave Well-Known Member

Its really a fact that humidity is a factor that effects the toy collections. I completely agree with the idea of Bny888, that if these collections are wrapped with bubblewraps then to much extent these can be kept away from the effect of humidity.