2D Artwork: Human Autobots

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by red4, Dec 24, 2009.

1. red4

red4 Banned

Got Optimus and Ironhide done so far. I plan to do Jazz, Bumblebee, and Ratchet.

I got tired of seeing so many feminine anime humanizations of the Transformers. So I took the initiative, and used the characters' personalities and visual forms to really influence what they would look like if they were humans in the real world - not some fantastical anime cartoon world.

Attached Files:

2. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime needs cowboy hat. Ironhide is awesome

3. red4

red4 Banned

Thanks.
    But I wouldn't want to put a cowboy hat on Prime because something like that would get in the way during a battle. So I want them to look battle ready.

4. Angryscott

Angryscott Pancake Hustler

I like the look of Prime. Just a blue collar, middle-aged regular joe.

Ironhide, OTOH...just seems completely perfect and awesome.

5. red4

red4 Banned

Here's Ratchet. He came out looking identical to Peter Cullen, even though I didn't intend on it whatsoever. However, I'm the least satisfied with this design overall, so expect to see some slightly major changes. In the mean time, what do you make of it? Does he feel like Ratchet?

Attached Files:

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    These human rendition are brilliant! You got them spot on. I would very very much like to see you do more. I'm bookmarking this thread. Pure awesomesauce.

7. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never seen any John Wayne movies? He always went into battle with a cowboy hat. :p 

Only reason I say that is because Primes voice was based offa Mr. Wayne. Still awesome though. Love ratchet!

8. red4

red4 Banned

Hehe. But the way I figure, if Prime's doing some fierce battling, his hat will fly away.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Why would you assume he's less tough than Indiana Jones, who was seen to staple-gun his hat on so that that couldn't happen? :p 

10. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here is some pics i found in deviant art done by someone else i think they look great..

[​IMG]

11. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

12. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

don't know why really but whenever i think of what optimus prime would look like as a human i jsut can't help but picture sean connery in the role

13. red4

red4 Banned

I've seen both of those, and they're incredibly uninspired. They all look exactly the same, and the only thing the artist did to hearken to the original characters is to paint the colors onto those inane trench coats and track suits. And look at them, none of them look a day over 20; and they've all got the exact same face. And where do you find clothes in those colors and patterns in the real world? See what I mean? Uninspired. They utterly skipped the creative process and opted for the simplest solution - draw the same super model 20 times, and simply color it differently each time. If I followed that sort of logic, my Ironhide would've been a thin white man with red hair, a red trench coat, and red sunglasses.

Rather, for my designs, I draw first inspiration from: Their personality, their age, and their experiences. Their rainbow colored robot forms are the last aspect I take into account. Prime is technically a few thousand years old, but in the lifespan of a Cybertronian, that only makes him middle-aged; so Human Prime reflects this. On Earth, Prime is a truck, so rather than make Human Prime look like a truck, I made him look like a trucker.

Yes, I am putting a lot of thought into these designs - and that's the point. I got tired of seeing the same uninspired, feminine designs that everyone else is turning out.

14. red4

red4 Banned

Again not intentional, Bumblebee turned out to be Shia LaBeouf's blond clone. Do you think I should fix that?

Attached Files:

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    While I certainly agree with you on a few things, to say that they're "incredibly uninspired" is a bit too harsh, imo. I actually really like those designs, despite their glaring flaws. Also, this post comes across just a bit too much like you're bashing one person's work to exhalt yours, which I can't say I recommend. That may (or may not) have been your intent, but I just think the manner in which you come across in the quoted post can be taken that way. I'd simply just suggest rewording your sentiments and critique to be a bit more constructive :) 

I really like your work that you've done here, but I can't say that I think you've captured the likeness of each character spot on yourself. I do really enjoy the fact that you're putting a whole lot of thought into your own work, and I think that definitely comes across well. I also think that if you're going to the trouble to design these, that you should also include a full body design. I think you're doing an excellent job with the head shots, and that you should definitely continue those! I'd just like to see the full body designs as well :thumb 

16. red4

red4 Banned

I call them "uninspired" because quite literally every other humanization uses the same idea. I guess I should've said "unoriginal". If there are others before me who have opted for a more realistic approach, I haven't seen them - and I have indeed searched for them.

As for your not agreeing with the likenesses I've created, what changes would you suggest? I'm asking legitimately, not in rebuttal. I come to the fold as a fledgling fan. I've only been a fan since the announcement of the first live-action movie's inception. I am aware that my impressions of the characters are not as seasoned as those of many others - those who've been fans since the 80s and 90s. So it's logical that some won't agree with my designs; but I am open to suggestions.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm certainly glad that you took my post in a very constructive and helpful way :) 

Like I said, I agree with some of the points you made about the other artist's work, but mainly my suggestion is simply to be respectful to another artist's work even if there are things about it you may not like :wink: 

As for your own designs, I think you illustrated Ratchet and Bumblebee rather well. I suppose for Ironhide, I've always envisioned him more as a "good ol' country boy" type of character. With his more "southern" accent and being from the south myself, I've met a few people who'd probably fit that bill. With Prime, I certainly like your approach, and I think you've depicted him a bit more accurately than Ironhide. However, since Cullen based the character much after a "John Wayne" type of character, I'd think it'd be certainly applicable for Prime to look the part as well. Honestly speaking, when I see photographs of Mr. Cullen, I don't see Optimus looking that much different were he human.

I hope that helps! I'd also like to note that I wouldn't have posted if 1.) I didn't have anything to add, or 2.) I didn't feel the artwork merited a post. Hopefully, both of those shine through :) 

18. red4

red4 Banned

I based Ironhide's appearance on his live-action rendition - dark, bulky, and scarred. I was also amused by the idea that "Ironhide" could be a Native American name like "Sitting Bull" or "Dances With Wolves".

Peter Cullen does have a fantastic character look to him, but I just don't imagine Optimus Prime being that thin, nor having a mustache. And I based his appearance on his live-action rendition as well; Peter Cullen didn't give him that John Wayne swagger in the live-action movie.

I actually intend to make Ratchet look a lot more like Robert Foxworth; particularly when he's bearded: http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7b73368294a60294_landing
    And perhaps I'll make Bumblebee look just a little bit older.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ah! That clears up much then! I was assuming you were going for G1 characters, even though you did discuss some movie references. That being said, I can certainly see the reasoning for your choices. :) 

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I can't help it, I always invision Ironhide as a Texan. Comes from being old G1 I guess. But there's no reason why he can't be an Navajo Texan, so I like that pic.

Now you want to talk about voices that are hard to reconcile,,, I can't put the modern Destro (now definitively SCOTTISH) with his 80's cartoon voice and face, (which always seems african american to me.)