Hulk SMASH! (but convienently miss hitting anyone)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tusko, Sep 6, 2007.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So, the latest issue of Hulk states that Hulk's brain makes sure his smashing never actually turns anyone into jam.

I find that hard to believe. Its just cheezy to think the Hulk has that much control and awareness. I think from a comic book point of view it would have been better to say someone was operating as a guardian angel than to use that excuse. Even that I don't like.

Originally, the Hulk was lethal but if he was swinging at you, you deserved it. Ret conning that out firstly kills a bunch of past stories and secondly undermines his legitimate rage. The Hulk is about emotion unleashed, and now we learn its been intellectually in check all this time.

Thumbs down.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't read the issue yet, but this sounds like a reference to what Hulk is now. Hulk isn't the a big dumb kid anymore. Him and Bruce are one in the same, and just happens, its the more hulk-like side that is dominant.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    What?!?

I don't read current Marvel continuity.
    How was that discovered?
    Why would they even do that?

Is this true for even the Savage Hulk that was completly separated from Banner?

Retconning and destroying past stories and characters appears to be standard operating procedure at Marvel these days.

I anticipate the story arc where we discover Norman Osbourne was responsible for the creation of the Hulk.

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Sorry for being spoiler-iffic here: but basically even as the old dumb green Hulk it was stated he went out of his way - even unconsciously - to never kill anyone. The exception is when he was truly mindless and separated from Banner.

Anyway I hope this is a throw-a-way statement in the book, the opinion of one character, and not a Hulk fact. The ramifications just hobbles the character in unimaginable ways. He can't take on Aunt May anymore, sheesh.

5. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    To be fair, he's a super hero, and this isn't the ultimate universe. I'm all for it.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see what the big deal is. The issue mentions lots of times Hulk has killed, besides the mindless rampage in New Mexico. It just emphasizes that he's trying not to kill innocents in the current NY situation.

The scene with the stabbing of Amadeus was pretty sick though...and then I flipped the page. :lol 

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ohhh, I must check this issue out! The shipment for my country was delayed and yet, I find it cool that the Hulk doesn't kill...IMO that's the charm of the Savage Hulk...so much power and yet, he doesn't kill.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Eh. They've been very inconsistant with that over the years. Some writers say he has, but other insist that he hasn't. Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm sure it'll change again.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the hulk has a switch in his head that prevent him from smashing babies and kitties, its all good.

10. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The big deal is about free will. The Hulk is his own mind and personality which was supposed to be this raging, emotional and powerful creature. This issue just castrates his effectiveness and legitimacy. He's angry, but not angry enough to express his full emotion or nature because "something" keeps him in check. Every action is undermined.

We'll see how it goes. He's not a sadist out to inflict pain and suffering. Thats' a given, however to have an overriding constraint like this is a very difficult genie to put back into the bottle.

Finally the Hulk is not a superhero. He's a monster and his story is a tragedy. Its about never fitting in, never winning and the constant struggle for survival. His redeeming feature is he does this on his own without exploiting others.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've seen some comics where the Hulk was working with other heroes so there must be some sort of control.

I don't read Hulk comics. Does he turn into Banner when he calms down (like in the show) or does he stay Hulk no matter what?

12. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The relationship is an evolving one.

Now Banner and The Hulk have distinct but separate personalities. Where before these were in conflict, there was an uncontrolled change between dominant personalities. Now, Banner and Hulk are working together so the change is at will. For the most part though Hulk is not transforming.