HuHot's - My New Love

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

http://www.huhot.com/

So I go to this place in Ft. Collins with some coworkers tonight, not knowing what to expect. And what do I find? Only the coolest dining experience this side of Chipotle.

It's basically a stir-fry place. But, instead of ordering from a menu, you go up, and you grab a bowl and you fill it with whatever you want from this HUGE selection of meats, veggies, and whatnot. They had beef, chicken, crab, calamari, tuna, pork, sausage, and I was told they occasionally bring in some elk and duck. My first dish was some beef, with spicy sausage, and then some peppers, onions, celery, and jalapenos. Then, you go to the giant sauce table, and you drown it in "at least 5 to 6 ladles" of the sauce(s) of your choice. They had garlic oil, hot chili oil, the traditional soy/sweet and sour/etc. sauces. I went with this spicy BBQ sauce, much better than I thought it would be.

You then walk up to this giant center grill, and they toss it on, grill it up for you, and put it on a plate for you.

And man oh man, it's delicious. It's a bit pricey (about $12 bucks for an adult), but it's a buffet and you can go back as many times as you want and create as many dishes as you want.

I highly recommend it.

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I will have to check it when I head out to Colorado this summer, I know the girlfriend will loooove it

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Mmmmm...Chang's Mongolian Grill....mmmmmm

4. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

I have a place about a block from my apartment that does the same thing, it's awsome.

5. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

There's a place near here too; it's called Mongolian BBQ, or something weird like that.

It's actually kind of a dump - strip center restaurant - but the food was good the one time I went.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sounds like a steamboat joint.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

No wai! If its not burritos or nachos, I wont eat it!

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mmmm... Mongolian BBQ... Mmmm... Korean BBQ... Mmmm... Teppanyaki... Mmmm... Mmmm... Mmmm...

9. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I've discovered a place even better than Chipotle. It's called Freebyrd's and it's pretty much exactly the same as Chipotle, but you can order burritos that are bigger than the ones at Chipotle and they have more options to put on the burrito like mixed cheese instead of just one kind and more than 4 kinds of salsa and several different kinds of tortillas too.

10. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

That sounds good. This thread makes me hungry.

11. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    Freebirds is the BEST!!! I had forgotten about them. Must stop by one in Houston next time I'm there.

Jux that sounds like a really good Mongolian BBQ place. I miss The Great Wall Mongolian BBQ." At least there the buffet came with a dessert. *mmmmm, rum sunday*

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sounds good man, wish we had something like that here.

We do have some good cafeterias here that I love hitting.
    Nothing like buffets. Plus it's cool they have the breakfast,lunch & dinner schedules kinna like they used to do in school.

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    $12.00 bucks is not bad at all. Wish we had that here in Philly too.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a Mongolian returaunt back in Edinburgh along the same lines.

You go up to the ingredients with your dish and can follow the recipies on the wall or make your own.
    Take it over to the girll and they'll cook it for you and bring it back to you.

Was pretty good, though they had some unusual meats. Kangaroo and shark are two that stick in my mind.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

theres a place in londinium exaclty like that. i think its called tiger tiger.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

how do you think i feel....ever been deployed...there aint that much choices in places to eat....i should stay away from this thread, it's bringing me down :( 

17. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I'm glad to see that you've discovered the wonder that is Mongolian barbecue. We don't have a HuHot here, but we do have BD's Mongolian Barbeque. (Yeah, there's a "q" in the name, and yeah, that's stupid.) I go there almost as often as I go to Chipotle, and I always buy one bowl instead of infinite bowls, because (1) it's cheaper and (2) I know how to cram as much into that one bowl as possible. Here's how:

Most places like this have you start with the meats. Press those into the bottom of the bowl, as if you were molding clay. You want to leave as much space as possible. Then, get the flat, flimsy veggies that are likely to slide around a lot (bell peppers, onions, zucchini) and apply lots of pressure to those too. Next, move to the veggies that don't stack well, such as broccoli, baby corn, and snow peas. Put what you can in the middle, but you'll probably have to manually shove them around the rim, between the meat and the bowl, especially the broccoli. Move quickly and you won't hold up the line at all. Now, some places include pasta on the assembly line, instead of throwing it in when you bring your creation to the grill. BD's puts it at the beginning of the line, before the meats - so after I've gotten everything else, I go back and pile on the pasta, because nothing stacks on top of that.

The above method has allowed me to regularly create mountains of food that are three times the height of the bowl itself. I've earned stares and encouraging remarks from fellow diners, and the cooks, who occasionally have trouble scraping everything off the grill onto my plate. :lol 

Looking at the HuHot website, it seems their sauce selection differs somewhat from BD's, but I think I can still make an informed recommendation. Do three parts Five Village Fire Szechuan to two parts Bekter's Ginger, or two parts Mean Bean Garlic. Then add minced garlic, a ton of cilantro, Tabasco, Cholula, jalapenos, and a small spoonful of black pepper. Careful about the pepper - too much and it'll feel like you're eating sand throughout the meal.

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

And there's nothing on the east coast. Wonderful :thumbdown 

19. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Mongolian BBQ is awesome!

20. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    QFT

Mongo's(as my friends and I call it) was the birthday spot. Everyone of my friends and I would celebrate our birthdays over there. Awesome place.