Repro/Sticker: Huge new batch of Custom G1 boxes

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Blue Meanie, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Made a large batch of new custom boxes. I have almost all of them done on my computer, but I will be taking a break for a while as my little project is agitating my wife. I have to redo a box and insert or two because I didn't like how they came out, like trailbreaker and skids (ehobby insert failed). I also re-made the Jazz box as people seem to hate all things Pat Lee, so I replaced him with a lovely piece by Mark Brooks, also replaced Pat Lee Prowl with a much better piece. I have the minibots almost done, I am just waiting for my KO's to arrive so I can steal their bubbles for my originals to be attached to my cards. Here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Blue Meanie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That is so freaking awesome !!!
    I wanna donate for a Jazz box thx pleaz :D 

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Are these boxes available to the fandom? I'd gladly throw you a couple dollars for materials and time-spent for a few boxes.

~Z

5. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy The. Balls. Will. Touch.<br><b><font color=blue>Bi

News Credits:
    I'd kill someone for a tutorial on how to do these! :O

6. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    They look awesome. I made some boxes myself and know how much work it is.
    Some questions:
    -Do you print them yourself?(must take an awful lot of ink)
    -On what paper do you print?
    - On what size paper do you print?
    Thanks man and again, they look GREAT!!!!

7. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Speechless! Very very nice!!!

You need to make an online website or instructions on how you do these. I hope to start making my own next year.

8. Blue Meanie

I was looking into having them made but there was a general lack of interest and I couldn't make enough of them to be cost effective and affordable to those that bought them. I intended to make a tutorial with pictures and a downloadable box "blank" linked, but I ran out of time, and I was running out of patience. I was getting so impatient to finish them that a screwed up a few of them like Grapple and Skids. Its hard to get things done with a 2 year old. I think it's just because I quit smokin. But I will get one done sooner or later. i have a Kup, Hot Rod, Blurr, Springer, Hoist, Bumblebee, Gears, Huffer, red tracks, golden lagoon jazz, Anime Astrotrain and others all done on the computer. But hand cutting the boxes has my hands raw and blistered. So when I actually get motivated again I will make some new boxes and pop out the tutorial. I have the boxes printed at Kinko's in 3 pieces for $6 on a great quality print. i could do them one piece for $35 with a so-so print. So I go for quality look. Printing the boxes like the real thing and having them diecut would run me $20-$45 depending on volume. But it would have to be serious volume. 100+

9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Here's an idea...

Print the images on "sticker paper" and just apply the sticker paper to some cardboard. Its a much more crude way of doing things but much easier.

Regardless, thats some extremely beautiful work there. Congrats on that bro.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    would you make custom boxes? I have a few I might need, and I love this work.

11. Blue Meanie

Sure I could make custom boxes easy. Just supply me with the artwork, tech spec description and the four transformation pics and I could do one in about 10 minutes. Getting the file to ya would be the hardest part. I started taking pics for the tutorial today also.

12. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

Did you ever finished your tutorial? Well I have finished a couple of cardbacks. I know it takes awhile to make some of the boxes. But are you going to give out a template for people. Or you going to start from scratch? A way that I thought would be easier, if people scan the original g1 boxes and edit them in photoshop. I have done some gi joe cardbacks and thundercat like that. What do you think?

13. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hot damn, Hastakara reissues should look like these, dammit!!

14. Blue Meanie

That works great for cards, but for boxes its hit and miss. Unless you unfold the box and scan it you are going to have to trial and error a few boxes. I unfolded a beat up G1 box to get everything perfect and for some reason still had to do fixes. You have to get the measurements perfect or you have a lopsided box. But anyone can do it it is only trial and error. Anyone with photoshop skills can do it, my tutorial will be more how I assembled them.

I am going to get to the tutorial soon I hope. My life has had some serious craziness lately and the boxes were completely put on hold. I am going to try and motivate myself to start knocking them out now that I have a laptop and can work from my couch. So keep an eye out soon and I will get have it posted. I am going to do a G1 box for Ironhide for my Tutorial.

15. repair_bay

repair_bay Scramble Power!

Ebay:
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I do custom boxes as well, and used to print them on sturdy photo paper (yeah it was alot of ink XD). Since my computer crashed about two years ago, I've redone some of my boxes, but haven't printed or assembled them yet. I was thinking about doing what another memeber here suggested and printing it out on sticker paper and applying it to cardstock.

16. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    holy sh*t.

if I had your ability / techniques ... I'd re-seal everything I have.

17. valguerra

valguerra Well-Known Member

You know some local print shop will print the image for you. That way you do not need to waste your ink. If you also have the dimesnion of your box or an example. You might be able to get your boxes made by a company that makes boxes. The boxes will be in white but all you would need is to applyed the tempalte on to a box already caught down to the size. Most of the TF boxes for alot of character were the same sizes.

18. JAF

JAF 1984

Those are gorgeous BlueMeanie. Where did you get that TB art? (that's definitely ace).:thumb 

I've done a bunch of custom boxes for Alternator sized packaging and usually print out each side/panel (on a Canon Pixma 3000) of the box on gloss or matte photo paper, use an exacto to cut out the window, and fasten over an existing alt box with rubber cement.

I get great results for the larger format but have put off doing G1 boxes since the whole thing would have to be made from scratch. Seeing this lights a huge fire under me arse. Hurry up with that tutorial bro! Hah!

19. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Amazing job man! I wish you find the time to post a tutorial with the blank box you mentioned, I'd be willing to pay for some comission work done.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Total Sweetness Blue Meanie :thumb 

I have always been a fan of your custom boxes.....gonna have to get a Plowking box made one of these days.