Minor/Repaint: Huffer; first radicon attempt...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hippie Trooper, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I recently found this site and have to say you all have inspired me! This is my first attempt ever at any kind of custom. It came out OK I guess, but I dont like the way the paint turned out. I used gloss spray paints and I have never liked the way those come out, too thick. I usually get a much smoother coat using flat paint and a clear coat at the end, sadly, I couldnt find the right colors in flat.

I picked up a Universe/movie Armorhide to change into Huffer. He's a small, flat cab truck so he seemed like the perfect candidate.

[ATT] 20014 [/ATT] [ATT] 20015 [/ATT]
    [ATT] 20016 [/ATT] [ATT] 20017 [/ATT]

IMO the crappy paint really shows in truck mode but hides OK in robot mode. I tried touching up some of that black last night, and just made things worse. I'm thinking of taking some nail polish remover to him and starting over. I've repainted my Dinobots weapons and my Universe Ironhide and they look great. Next to them this guy looks like a 1st grade project. But I wanted to get some feedback from some of the more experienced people here.

I never liked Huffer much back in G1, always saw him as a bit of a whiner, but I think he might be pretty cool though if he looked like this.
    Thoughts and comments?
    Thanks in advance
    Later

Attached Files:

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

i think he looks pretty good. u can see the thick paint in truck mode and not in the robot mode. maybe its just the pics..

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Paint's a little thick but great job all around! You are off to a bangin' start! Look forward to more!:thumbs2: 

4. JAFOPrime

JAFOPrime All work and no play.....

Good job.

5. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Pretty good job, im not going 2 point out what everyone is saying, but the purple on him, isent it meant to be blue?
    other than that its great for a first time!

6. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Actually, if you look at the toy, his tosro is purple. It was Pipes who was all blue. I say the figure looks good, previous criticism aside. My only comment is I don't think the orange is 'orange-y' enough. I think it looks a little pale (but that could just be the photos, or my monitor settings), just my opinion though.

Great job though! Much better than my first project!

7. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Thanks for the kudos everyone. I did a Google image search for "custom Armorhide Huffer" and found a drawing someone had made using similar colors. The source was much more "orangy" though. I liked the pattern so I went with it. I'm used to using spray paints on my costumes, armor, props, and even models, so I figured I'd try it on TFs too. I'm not too happy with the results. I'm finding that a brush and model paints work much better here. As I mentioned, I've done this with my Universe Ironhide and Animated Dinobots' weapons and I see a WORLD of difference. I'm really tempted to take some nail polish remover and start over.
    Anyone have any tips on the "cleanest" way to do that?
    Thanks again everyone.
    Later

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

I always use sprays. others use airbrushes. You just need to use primers and masks to accomplish what you want to. :)  Welcome aboard. I strongly suggest you peruse our Tutorials section to aide you on your journey. There's a tutorial stickied at the top of the Discussion area that shows how to work images into your posts.

9. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Thanks for the heads up on that tutorial Redline, I've never heard of ATT tags, I dont think I wouldve ever figured that out.
    Later

10. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Nice one.
    You definitely outdid FunPub's attempt!

11. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

welcome to radicons. that is very nicely done

12. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Hippie Trooper, welcome to the hobby. this kills my first try. you'll be fine. In a year's time you'll be tearing into this for parts. :)