HTIB suggestions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    since there is a lull in the toy collecting, i am thinking about ugrading my sound system.
    I have an old (12 years old) Aiwa Dolby Pro-Logic 2 home theater receiver i want to retire and replace with something.

i am really looking for a strong receiver with a digital audio input, to make connecting my TV easier.

I am planning to run (in addition to the included DVD player) my DVD/VCR combo and my computer.

i was wondering about suggestions or HTIB's you have.

I am googling and searching, but a lot of the product reviews leave out important details like how crappy the speaker wire is, is the speaker wire the kind that is permanenty attached to the speaker and not just clipped in, is it too short for a decent sized room...

I am trying to keep the price at or below 4 C-notes.
    and i am interested in wireless rear speakers.

thanks for the help!

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

RCA has a HTIB at Wal-Mart for $150.00 (Target had it last week for $130.00) it has Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II, and 1,000 watts of power. Owned one, sounded great. (Had to take it back because of noise complaints.)

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Amazon.com: Samsung HT-TX75 DVD Home Theater System: Electronics

That's the one I have. It has Optical Audio and HDMI in (and HDMI out) and works great for my small living room. There is a 1,000 watt version with one set of speakers that aren't on stands. The speaker wires are decent but could always be better, they aren't hard wired into the speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Tos...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237169047&sr=8-4

I use a radio shack version of that (that I had to get off of Ebay) . My Tv wouldn't output in full 5.1 so I have the cable box, PS3 and 360 running through a selector.

You have to be careful with HTiB, most of them don't have digital in. Wireless rear speaker's won't work if you have any type of wifi device close to them. I had a Samsung set with wireless rear that wouldn't work with my Wii, PS3 and 360 all being close. I ended up exchanging it for the one I have now and running the wires under my floor. Wireless speakers tend to be on the weaker side and require a power outlet or batteries.

4. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for the input.
    i kinda miss my old (recently deceased) RCA TV because it had audio (RCA) outputs, which did allow my cable to run into the tv and out to the Aiwa and i could turn off the TV's speakers.

All i got now is a digital audio out jack and i hate that these HTIB's can't have coax in or DA-in both.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

craigslist is your friend! I got an onkyo receiver that is absolutely amazing for only $300. I think it retailed for between $700 and 1200.

6. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think i could risk a look there.

7. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

time to dig out my old best buy knowledge here...
    generally when you get a HTIB, you compromise sound quality and number of inputs for a better price. Probably the only set that I generally reccommended was a yamaha unit that retailed for about 350-400. 5.1 system with a receiever that had hdmi and digital connections and around 6 inputs. Really good unit, but I can't remember the model number. also, no matter what set you get, you WILL need more speaker wire. They give you around 4-5 feet of wire for each speaker, if that. If you want a good setup(as in speakers surrounding you instead of all in front of you, negating any surround sound.) you'll need at least 30-40 feet of wire. Unless you wanna get a wireless sender/receiver for your rear speakers, but last I checked those were 100 bucks.
    as far as good sound goes, yamaha and sony are your best bet. that yamaha HTIB we had was pretty close in sound quality to much pricier systems.

8. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am thinking that i may not focus so much on the whole HTIB, but focus just on the receiver and a powered sub.
    I got another old stereo i may cannabalize- the cd unit/tape deck is shot (it is from 1994) but the speakers are still quite good.
    And the speakers that came with my Aiwa home theater are Cerwin Vega's.

the main thing is i wanna make sure i have an input for my cable tv signal or a digital audio input i can run from my tv into it.