HP 7110 help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    My HP 7110 printer will no longer print color. It has plenty of ink (at least 50%) and tries to print (I can see where it wants to print it), but it will not print color.

I took apart the ink assemlby and everything looked identical to the black ink setup (working).

I would call HP, but I dont feel like wasting my afternoon on the phone with people that don't speak English.

I cleaned everything very carefully with a Q-tip and bottled water (online article). I'm thinking I need to replace the print heads, but $35 each kind of scares me.

I'd like to know if there's anything I can do other than replacing the printheads (I'm not even sure that's what's wrong).

Thanks in advance

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You can try soaking the print heads in isopropryl alcohol - but it's a longshot. Usually when a print head dies/clogs badly, there's no choice but a new one.

I had the same thing happen with the black on mine recently, and for fun I disassembled (definitely not recommended) the black printhead in an effort to clean out the old dried ink. I soaked it in alcohol overnight TWICE, I tried forcing the alcohol through the heads, and while it worked a little better with each attempt, I could never get it back to 100%.

Are you SURE it has flowing color ink? When you shake the color tanks does color come out?

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Thanks, MMM. Looks like I need to order new print heads.

4. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't even waste your time. It's a printer from 2003 that I'm guessing you spent about $250 on? Those things aren't really made to be repaired. If you send it off to HP repairs will probably cost as much or more than a new printer would, because that's almost certainly what they're going to give you - a "new" refurbished version of your printer. Even if you can get the parts for cheap, I know that I wouldn't consider it to be worth my time.

My recommendation? Buy a cheapo inkjet printer if you're on a budget and just replace it when you go out. If you need a scanner, get a separate scanner. If you want to go with something that will last, get a laser printer.