How's the future lookin' for Marvel figs?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by RoadDoc326, Dec 23, 2009.

1. RoadDoc326

RoadDoc326 Member

I'm debating whether or not I want to start collecting Marvel figures but I don't know enough about them yet.

Is it like GI Joe and Transformers where they sell well, are always releasing new figures and never had a period where they weren't making new ones since they started? Or is the Marvel Universe just a phase that Hasbro's going through and by the time it reaches the end that'll be it?

So basically how long will they continue to make Marvel figures?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It's tricky, the Marvle Universe seem to be doing fairly well. Though in my area (and it's just my area and my perception because of that), they seem to peg warm quite a bit. IMO, $9 is WAY too high for GI Joe sized figures. Unless it's a character I really want, then they're an easy pass for me. This seems to be the future of the line for quite some time.

Marvel Legends seems to be regated to two-packs. Hasbro pretty killed the line with shitty molds that on average just don't compare to the Toy Biz molds. Lately, I've gotten back into MLs, and have been tracking down alot of figures that I sold off a few years ago. I forgotten just how much enjoyed that line....so if anyone has Marvel Legends they want to pawn off, hit me up :) ....

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It'll probably go until they run out of Spidey and Iron Man repaints to fill out each new wave with.

4. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Yes Marvel Legends were dope! I suggest going after them(from the secondary market). Slowly fading away...hope they dont die........(still relesaing ML 2-packs).

If you want newer retail.....MU is the line. Kinda pricey for 3 3/4" figures though. But they will be out ongoing at any big retail market.

NSP

5. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a toyline that's going to continue, Marvel Legends (the six inch scale) is not your line.
    And the Toy Biz molds WERE nicer, but you'd have to pay a sizeable markup for them.
    The 3 3/4 scale line seems to be where Hasbro is putting their money now.

6. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    Hmm, this thread rings a bell.
    Oh yeah:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/toyark/281489-future-star-wars.html

As for your question, Marvel has some immensely popular characters. And there are countless Marvel movies scheduled for the next few years (Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 4, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Wolverine 2, X-Men First Class, etc). These characters are not going to become unpopular anytime soon. Expect Marvel toys to continue to be made for years and years to come.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you. IMO Hasbro killed the line for me with their molds. I prefer the Toy Biz ones. As nice as the 3 3/4 inch figures are, they're too pricey for me in my country and most of my collection of action figures (DC, Marvel, SOTA, NECA) are in the 6-7 inch scale for me.

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I collect only Iron Man stuff, so collecting one character across multiple iterations is a bit different. Still, I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with Universe in general... mostly due to the change to the smaller scale, which tends to equal weak joints, shoddy paint, and a general "cheapification" to the feel of the toy. It's amazing to me that a ToyBiz Marvel Legends figure from ten years ago could be as dramatically superior to a modern toy as they are.

The good news is that the vast majority of all Marvel Legends seem to still be readily available on the secondary market.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well considering how much better MU is than ML (especailly the Toy-Biz crap), I'd say the future is good.

10. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  :lol  :lol 
    Now there's a statement I'd like to see backed up by a bit of data.

11. lars573

Consdiering it's an ENTIRELY subjective based personal taste situation. I don't see that as possible. I HATE Toy-biz ML sculpting, and the amount of articulation they shoved in made the figure looks ghastly and in-human. Hasbro made major improvements in both areas. But I just don't like Marvel enough to spend money on 6" scale line

12. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I like the MU line I just got a problem paying almost 10 dollars for a figure and almost no accessories, at least gi joe manages to pack in accessories that in my mind justify an 8 dollar purchase. The Marvel Universe line though its just a figure and maybe...a beam for them to shoot which is basically a thing to stick on an arm or whatever.

I guess the reason why they are a bit more expensive is maybe the licensing from marvel or something otherwise I just don't get why they are so expensive

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    :sly2: 

14. lars573

Less is more as far as I'm concerned.

15. ams

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah. Fair enough, I suppose. From my perspective, taking away points of articulation, sculpted details, accessories, and paint apps is definitely a negative.

16. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Ditto. Hasbro's getting better, but they're nowhere nearly as good as Toy Biz yet.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand about the over emphasis on articulation on the part of Toy Biz but overall I feel that the Toy Biz ML were better. For example, "Face-off Hulk", Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer, Ultimate Captain America.

Of course some of the figures were too multi-jointed for my linking. Example, some of the Spider-mans. However, I felt towards the end of the line, Toy Biz did a good job in balancing articulation with sculpt. For example, the "villains" wave was great with figures like Abomination and Loki.

The Face-off series was perfect IMO. Of course, some collectors were complaining of the lack of articulation. For example, Face-Off Hulk had no ab-articulation.

Hasbro's ML - the face sculpts are terrible. They look too kiddish. Example, Banshee anybody? Even some of the characters like Nova and Black Bolt seems "off" as the face sculpts do seem as "sharp" as Toy Biz's.

The only good thing they had was the "balance" in articulation and...the price. Somehow I found them more expensive in my country than Toy Biz.

I'm not kidding when I say that not only did Hasbro killed the ML line in my country because of the sculpt and price point, they also killed the "action figure" craze in my country. Now most collectors I know just collects TFs, SOCs and Gundams. Major retailers in my country actually skipped some if not most of the Hasbro ML waves in my country.