How's DOTM voyager OP?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, May 19, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The initial response was pretty bad, when leaks came out. Main criticisms were that he had quite a bit of cheating going on in the transformation, and that he wasn't screen accurate.

Visually, I really like. He has a cool heroic aesthetic with the exaggerated proportions that remind me of animes or Animated. However, how is he once you actually fidget with him. What's his playability/posability like?

2. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I can't really comment on the US one, but the Japanese counterpart I have is far superior despite the price. I love the trailer, its a nice touch so that I don't have to buy the Supreme class ultimate prime shit. I really bought the prime for his mech tech weapon though, the japanese voyager prime also doesn't have those huge gas tanks on his back which is a plus. Honestly if you have the voyager battle blades prime I'd just stick with that, if you had the buy the new dotm voyager prime though buy the japanese version.

3. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ya know, there IS a board for reviews n' such. I suggest looking there.

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    I quite like the figure. I don't mind the wheels too much, but the slats that form the top of the nose that end up on the back of the arms are incredibly annoying. At first I disliked mine because his backpack was floppy and aggravating, but that was a QC issue on mine easily fixed by superglue.

I actually like the armored, modified Peterbuilt alt mode. It's a refreshing new look for Prime that seems to value his personal needs in combat over the exact form of the truck he scanned, which is a neat idea.

The robot mode just looks fantastic. It's skinny, lithe and dynamic. Unlike other incarnations, this one is built for neat action poses and eschews the clutter inherent to the onscreen design. He stands well and has a large range of motion. The only real gripe I have is that his gun is too big for him to properly hold.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Personally I think it looks awful. It's no wonder all the other voyagers are selling out and it's nothing but a sea of Primes on the shelf.

So glad I have my Shocky on hold til' payday when I can actually pick him up. Looks like it'll be a while before we restock if those things don't sell.

6. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for the repaint with new gun.

7. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    It is a great figure and great toy to play with. I highly recommend it. It is a toy that once in hand, you will love, and it seems the case with a lot of people here

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    he's not my favorite iteration of the character and at first i was pretty turned off by him, but he's really grown on me. looks like a neat toy!

i'm holding out for the fireburst repaint tho

9. Mach

Mach Grand Master

News Credits:
    A sea of Optimus sometimes is to do with assortment. In a case usually u have 2 primes, 1 shockwave or whatever.... Also wave 1 & 2 also include Prime, in both wave 1 & 2, each case contains 2 prime. Both waves you have 4 pieces, as for others like shockwave only appear in wave 2.
    thats explain why you see a sea of Prime...

10. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

I thought he was pretty silly looking at first, but the more I looked at him, the more I liked him. The best comparison is having HftD Voyager Prime and DotM Prime next to each other. HftD Prime may have more screen accuracy in regards to detail and transformation, but the poseability and proportions on DotM prime are way more fleshed out.

11. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    He's awesome. Though there are some horrible positions you could put his backpack cylinders into there are a few more relaxed positions. that just help's the silhouette from looking to thin. Waist articulation is available.

The mechtech blaster and heat shield panels really helps this feel more like a overpowered mecha Hero take on the original Optimus Prime rather than a typical movie verse prime.

12. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I really like him. He might not be as great looking as previous iterations (I happen to like his look), but he's very fun to mess around with, and I like his transformation (despite the fact that mine has some QC issues that hinder it a bit). He's a lot more fun than ROTF Leader Prime, and he's better in every regard to the original Voyager mold (can't comment on HFTD BB Prime, since I don't have him). All in all, if you're looking for a fun figure, I'd say by all means, get him.

13. mechfiend

mechfiend Well-Known Member

I hated him at first, but now I really want him.. I think I'll wait till he goes on sale or I just can't control my hunger any longer.

14. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't have him, but from what I've seen and read, he looks pretty rad from a toy standpoint. I'm probably gonna pick him up when the sales start.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^Im planning on getting Dotm Takaratomy Prime with -trailer set next month. :D 

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    He's a good figure, but not the greatest Optimus Prime. He had a hard act to follow though...

17. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I like it, my only complaints are the wheels on the forearms can get in the way and that the arms in general are a little short. But it still is a pretty cool figure.

18. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Personally, I just don't like the look of his vehicle mode - the solar panels and the enormous gas tanks just ruin it for me. I may get him later if he goes on sale, but for now I'm holding out for the Walmart exclusive Voyager Prime.

19. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how much was it? I really have been considering that/hoping for a US release of the trailer at least

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^I agree with the owner of the Japanese trailer version of Dotm voyager Prime. :D  Also, it's $69 without shipping from Robotkingdom.com. :/
    Dunno if BBTS carries it.