How'd you get into collecting Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 0ptimus__Prime, Nov 13, 2008.

1. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    How did you get into collecting Transformers?

2. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

I thought the toys were cool back in the 80's, then I start collecting again with the arrival of Beast Wars.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Same here I had some of the 80's toys and played the heck out of them. Then I became a teenager and toys dropped out of my radar for a decade or so then as I was watching TV I caught a glimps of a TF show(Brought back great memories). I then got on the net looked around a low a behold Binaltech!!!! I just fell in love with the realism of the cars and Transformations then I saw MP-01 Prime and it all snowballed from that point on.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Aside from growing up with G1/G2, I tried with Armada but I simply didn't care for the show, not enough to make me want the toys after buying the first few. I only bought Energon Starscream because he was Starscream and an F-22 at that. Got a couple other Energon figures, Ravage & Arcee to name a few, but again, I wasn't feeling the line. And I thought the combiner gimmick was lame.

Classics is where it's at for me (I'm coming off as redundant, I know), these are the Transformers I love.

That said, I should be clear that I'm a fan of the movie. I love it, really. But those figures just aren't for me. (Make a Megan Fox figure, however, and we'll see...)

5. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I grew up watching G1 and my cousin gave me Trailbreaker. So started the obsession.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    only after the movie :D  the 2007 movie
    since then, ive been somewhat addicted.. spent a lot trying to catch up on the lines i liked a lot, and finally i think im done.. i mean, i'll only be picking up the figures i like from now on, when released.. must slow down :D 

7. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I was introduced to the original G1 toys at such a young age I can't remember when it started. I'm 27 now and out of all the things I've had since a small child, I still have all my transformers, when all else has come and gone.

8. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

my very first tf was a g1 beachcomber. the only g1 toy i ever had. my first alternator was silverstreak, back in 04 or so, thinking that the sunstreaker mold was not g1 enough i never bought one again.

a friend he saw my alt silverstreak. he already started collecting tftm toys and i humoured him by tagging along thinking i wasn't buying one. i bought a tftm ironhide. that toy line was a big fat disappointment. then that same friend told me about seeing the classics line. i bought a couple more until i saw some custom alternators. i was hooked. i love MPs and Alts-BTs,

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of my first transformers as a kid was Ultra Magnus. It never stopped after that.

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the 1980s, I was a kid with G1. My brother and I only had 7 TF figures, in which my first one was Skywarp. However, in 1986, the movie took the entire series off the air and so did my love for the figures. Fast forward to January 2007....I was in graduate school doing research about what kinds of movies teens would like to watch and TFs kept popping up in my research. At the same time, I found out about Alternators and learned that one of the molds was a Subaru, which I have in real life. So, I got myself an Alternators Silverstreak. I went from 7 figures to 85-90 in an almost 2 year period. Also, the same Silverstreak became my first repaint but a minor one.

11. combust

combust gobotronian

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a girl

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like so many others, I grew up with this stuff. Born in 1980, I was a perfect target for the TFs when they hit in the UK in 1984. Loved them ever since. I guess I started "collecting" (rather than just loving my old TFs and the comics) circa 2000. RID impressed me, and the reissues started trickling through from Japan...

13. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto for me, but I found the Hasbro 20th first when it was in stores and then the BT's. Then I saw his (kenm2474) Botcon seekers!

14. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    It started for me when i had Powermaster Prime, and G2 Grimlock which i still have and a lot of old ones from 86 like hot rod. Then my parents decided that toys were from the devil so they threw them all away. I then ended up where i was allowed to buy Beast Wars when i got older. I have been collecting ever sense slowed down in college now that i am out still collecting!!!! I love them gf is so so on them but ill keep collecting also getting back the ones my parents threw out. I also had the entire TMNT collection growing up they threw all them out too. I mean i had a lot! Glad to be collecting again.

15. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well when i was a kid it was Tf and joes for me. the cartoons had alot to do with it. now the classics have brought me back. as they are the updates and looks of how i always saw them.

16. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

What!? Please tell...

I, like so many others, had them as a kid. I watched the show obsessively as a child and had a few of the G1 big transformers, Ultra Magnus, Optimus Prime, Tryceptron (or whatever that giant purple dinosaur was called), Bumblee Bee, SeaSpray, so on...

Then when I saw the movie I was so stunned that Prime was killed that I stopped watching the show and started watching TMNT instead.

I would always check the toy isle for years to see what was going on in the TF toy world, then I noticed the Classics series, and I had been following the movie a couple of years before it came out, so I just started buying them and I haven't been able to stop since. I think Classics Hot Rod (Rodimus) and Classics Starscream were my first purchases because I never had them as a kid and always wanted them.