Howard Chaykin

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Shin Densetsu, May 9, 2008.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Is anyone here a big fan of Howard Chaykin? I didn't know much about him until recent years. A lot of people regard him as one of the best. I'm not a fan of his pattern work for his pencils/inks. I think his panel design is great though. His patterns can be distracting, and though his colorists do color holds on some of his patterns, it still manages to be distracting. His work looks messy at times.

I spent a couple of years away from comics, so I was wondering what all of you thought about him.

2. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I liked him more in the past than I have recently. His stuff in the 80's and early 90's was great, but I dunno, just got out of his style. He's a great writer, but as for the art, not so much a fan anymore.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I haven't read much of his stuff, but I'm definitely not a fan of his current work. Hawkgirl was a mess of dark backgrounds and erect nipples. What I saw of his Guy Gardner mini was pretty bad, too. So much so, in fact, that I didn't read it. And given how much I love Guy, it takes a lot to get me to not read something he's starring in (that doesn't have the word "Warrior" in the title, of course).

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't stand his art. I think his old Scorpio Connection was ok. But like Switchblade said, One Year Later Hawkgirl was HORRIBLE. His stint on Blade wasn't much better.

5. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

His older stuff was great. There are so many writers and artists who were amazing but whose styles have become extremely dated over the years. A couple examples off the top of my head would be guys like John Byrne and Dan Jurgens (can the guy draw one single book without a mullet in it?).

6. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I personally can't stand his art. I love anything to do with Green Lantern and I avoided the Guy Gardner 2-parter entirely because of him.

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bought some issues of his Wolverine run, but stopped. The story wasn't very interesting(Wolverine dead? Oh really....) and I'm just not the biggest fan of Chaykin's style. I haven't read the books he has written, just some recent books he has drawn. His work on Wolverine was sloppy at times, and the patterns are overkill. I feel bad for his colorists, they have to colorhold most of the patterns he lays down with his inks. Anyone see his work on Garth Ennis' "War is Hell"? I was going to buy it, because its written by Ennis, but the artwork...if you don't like Chaykin's patternwork and the effects that colorists almost always use on his work, you won't be able to stand the art in that book.

The most impressive thing I have seen from him is his panel design. He has a 1-2 page sequence in the Civil War Captain America issues that is brilliant.