how wouldto calculate value of your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Layne, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

How would you figure out the worth of your collection. would you go through all of it and price each one as the retail amount you paid for it at a store or online and add them all together or would you get the price you bought the item for and add/subtract a few dollars based on the shape they are in and if they are complete or not and add them all up?

2. davidarruda

davidarruda That one guy

i'd say to do the second thing you said

3. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

Well, if you're interested in an approximation of their current secondary market value, you could always enter your collection at Shmax - Home. You'll see an appraisal figure in the "Fun Facts" (see my signature for an example of this) that takes into account the condition of your toys (AFA-graded, sealed, opened, or loose) and adds everything up.

4. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

lol i cant figure out how to use it i registered already but no dice

5. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

Probably best to ask for help in the shmax forums rather than here, but in short, simply browse through the database (or do searches), and every time you see a toy you have in your collection, click the "Add to my collection" button. You then have the option of editing fine details such as price paid, condition, missing parts, etc.

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'd check ebay to see how much it would cost me to replace each item.

7. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

Exactilly what i have been doing and i haven't finished yet

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i don't know how to calculate mine, but i know that my collection is easily worth over 6 grand

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ToyFare?
    Lee's Price Guide?

I haven't bought a ToyFare in some time (well over 3 years) but they had values for MIB and Loose to give you an idea.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I guess I should have asked: what am I valuing the collection for? If I want to figure out how much I spent, it'll be a case of tallying up the price I paid for each item. If it's for insurance purposes, I'll be checking ebay to see what each item would cost me to replace.

11. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, this is something that I never cared to know, and don't want to have to figure out for two reasons.

1. It would probably lead me to approximately what I spent on these little pieces of plastic, and that would depress me thinking of what other cool stuff I could have bought, and...

2. If I ever had to, it would probably be because of the loss of it through theft or fire (although Im not sure that my insurance would cover it), which would be even more depressing and also probably the last thing on my mind at that time.

Collecting is just something I enjoy right now, and I see no reason to put a number on it. It provides me with entertainment and something to waste time on....Oh yea, and something for my friends to laugh at.