How would you write the Transformer's origin for a live action film?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Knowing that the 'All Spark' gave them life - what is the backstory to the TF creation you would write for a live action film?

Also, I have not seen ROTF yet, its out tommorrow, so easy on spoilers if possible.
    Personally, going off TF1, I would go for:

The TFs were inanimate objects. Manufactured goods used by the Quintessons - a race of bio-mechanical beings, wallowing long in luxury.
    The transforming ability and AI were incorporated to facilitate manual labour as well as transportation and defense in a complete package. They were programmed products.
    Then, a cube fell to the planet Cybertron, a planet the Quintessons used as a staging ground for research and testing. It endowed the TFs with life and the ability to reproduce new conciousnesses.
    Early sentient TFs were punished for their 'crime', being free thought, and upon examining the cube and dissecting TFs, the Quintessons made a remarkable discovery.
    The cube contained the conciousnesses of a long dead alien race, a race of two warring factions that in a last attempt at self preservation, combined their conciousnesses in a scrambled memory cube in the dying days of their world.
    They never learned to control the Cube's power and fearing the sentience granted to their creations, the Quintessons fled with the Cube to their massive artificial planet, a huge factory, in the hopes of unlocking a cure.
    This backfired and the entire planet as well as countless individual machines became sentient.
    The TFs created in this manner spread across the universe and the factory, whose AI was named by the Quintessons as Unicron (UNanimous Independant Cybernetic Research OmNibus), was born in the far reaches of space. The Quintessons set a self destruct and fled in their ship to their homeworld, Quintessa. They blasted the cube into deep space out of sheer desperation and vowed to never divulge its' secrets.
    The vengeful Unicron, now damaged after the self destruct, slow and lumbering, followed their trail across space, consuming planetoids and moons to fuel and heal his massive bulk. He was soon forgotten.
    On Cybertron, the TFs were forming a society, though initially promising, the society crumbled in only a few months as the newly formed Decepticons, under Megatron, started to wreak havoc on the TF homeworld.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I would write that they're from Cybertron. Every attempt to explain their origin further than that has been a letdown.

3. Hand Of Omega

Not really. They are inherently machines. They would have to have been, at some point, manufactured - before sentience.
    I think G1 did a good job with the Quintessons and Vector Sigma arcs. A lot of retconning occured, this is true, but it worked for me.
    To me thats what TFs will always be.
    I can understand the people that just want them to be 'there', like the 'Gremlins' films, they are just there, its never eluded to or suggested where they came from, but G1 is a true, narrative arc to me that addresses it all very well.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite liked the earliest explanation in the comics before it went all Creation Matrix and Primus (hate the Quintesson thing personally). An evolution of naturally occurring gears or something.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The word "oxymoron" comes to mind. I can leave my toaster on the kitchen counter until the end of time. The only thing it's going to become is an artifact.

Regardless if Cybertron is a naturally occurring hunk of processed metals floating through space or an abandoned industrial planet, the All Spark came from somewhere else. The answer would have to lie in who (or what) created the All Spark and for what purpose.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Regardless, that's how Transformer life was explained away in (I think) the very first issue of the comic. Short and simple. Machine life developed and that was it. Did the job just fine for people to quickly get over the concept of a planet full of living machines and to get on with getting into the more important business of their characters and situations.

7. flamepanther

That's essentially true, but the fact that it must have happened, doesn't mean there necessarily has to still be a record anywhere of how it happened. This is a case where for myself and for a lot of other fans, the mystery has always been better than the answer.

8. Hand Of Omega

I love the idea, as I said in the original post, that it could be a vessel for the conciousnesses of other alien beings.
    It crashes to Cybertron and is cracked, releasing the conciousnesses into the AI of the TFs.

I can relate to that case. They keep trying to demystify The Doctor in Doctor Who and I think his mystery is the strongest point of his character.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I don't know why, but the human mind needs the "god complex" to explain the first occurrence. Things just can't happen on their own or just can't have just been forever. Its intriguing that the human mind can't accept that things just are - that something "greater" has to be at play behind the scenes.

I think the natural evolution of machines is as valid as any. Especially knowing that one explanation clears so many hurdles without getting into the messy stuff from before. Evolution for us is when the primordial goo of water and chemicals created the building blocks of organic cells - proteins, enzymes, DNA. This along with the environment of primordial earth - lightning, high pressures, lava, cold, etc - caused the formation of the first "cell".

If our science tells us how thats we evolved - then why can it not be the same with metals? Why can metallic objects not do the same type of evolution?

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Not sure why anyone who likes the Primus/Unicron origins is somehow someone incapable of accepting evolution or stuck in a 'god complex'. Primus and Unicron being from another plane of existence or being beings of pure energy from another dimension is perfectly capable of being rooted soundly in science and just because they are referred to as 'gods' doesn't make it religion.

I think the Primus splitting into every universe at once to protect himself from Unicron has always been a great addition to the Multiverse concept. Our Universe is 3 Dimensions, and Timelines are the 4th dimension. Having Primus Develop differently in each universe to give rise to different versions of the TF is no more or less 'science' than a robot version of DNA evolving out of goo. I also like how Tfs appear to be energy beings somehow pulled from their own world and imprisoned in physical bodies via the use of Sparks. It adds a primitive nature to the TFs and a bit of an unnatural feeling to their existence. They are trapped in those forms and are not as technologically advanced as they appear.

And the nice thing is, it ties the universes together and allows transition of technology and even storyarcs across universes.

Most superhero universes allow for the whole parallel earth design, and it works fine for TFs.

11. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Look, Jetfire is an idiot for believing this.

Unless a system is self-replicating and subject to selective pressures, there can be no evolution.

I happen to like the idea of direct creation of the first TFs by Primus. It makes the Cybertronians unique and special in the universe, as the literal children of a deity. He choose mechanical forms because they last longer and are more powerful.

- Coeloptera

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd have Victor Caroli narrate the TFs to life. :) 

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

"We now begin the Transformers..."?

Yeah, works for me.

- Coeloptera

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    how about Cybertron beeing inhabited by organics first. This is just a thought.

The planet Tron was once a lovely planet filled with life and a exceptionel civilasation. The intillect of the inhabitans were outstanding who loved everything that was technical and wanted to explore more of the known universe. The impact on life on Tron would change when a hugh asteroid crashed on the planet. The Trons inhabitans made all they could to try and stop it but the catastrof were impossible to prevent. The air filled with poisen air, life died, it became a wasteland. Some inhabitans survived and started to build giant robots bodys to move around out in the wasteland but these were hard to controll. One of the smartest inhabitans of the survivors named Primus created a super computer that was filled with all knowing data the ppl of Tron hade acumilated to be keept safe if the inhabitans would become extinct.

The time went on and they got better in using the robots, still very primitiv it worked. But time of extinction were cathing up. Even living in their shelters they were still exposed to the poisenes air. Some were as the robots were not 100% air tight, some of cracks in the shelter that was impossible to fix. Many died during the first cycles after the asteroid impact.

Primus got old and feelt very sick, he was one fo the last survivors and one of the oldest. They tried to stop the demiss that were upon them but it was to late and nothign could be done. Many lost old friends untill only a handfull were left. Primus gatherd the last survivors and said he had a way to cheat death if it worked. He wanted to merge with the computer. He conected himself with the machine and the mergin became a succses, the computer got self awerness very quikly and named itself as Vector Sigma.

Vector Sigma took out the program and enhanced Primus merging process so that the robots and surviving Tron inhabtans would stay alive in their ginat robots they build. The last 10 were to become the first 10, the mergin was a succses. Vector sigmas new program and Primus mergin ideas hade created a new life form, one that was not needed of air, water food, but energy insteed. A suprem robotic life form.

The 10 robots started to build their new world and Vector Sigma evolutioned his way of thinking and ideas. Vector Sigma created a new computer program that gave him the possabilety to give robots life without a organic to merge.

Evolution and hard work continued for many many cycles untill the first city of steel were done and the population of robots hade risen to a couple of thousends. The leader bot was named Alpha , one fo the first 10. This evolution of robotic life just grew larger, and larger and larger untill half the planet was built like a metallic world and Vector Sigma hade came up with the art of transforming, still very simple compared to what would come in the distant future, it helped alot in the upbuilding of their new world. But the inhabitans of tron feelt it was not tron any more and they hade become more of cybernetic,metallic beeings insteed. The first 10 changed the name of the planet to what it should be know for from now on and a very very very long time...the planet Cybertron hade become.

15. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I could see maybe a few primitive Sparks somehow landing on a floating chunk of metal and slowly evolving some bodies for themselves over billions of years. A bit like Unicron making his body in the comics but as a race instead of just one being. Okay, you've maybe still got to account for where the Sparks originally came from, but that's pushed so far back into the mists of time that it could almost not matter.
    Maybe just for general explanation's sake they evolve as simple minds from space energy and float around never realising their full potential until they make contact that chunk of metal and they find they can slowly change it. Eventually they develop forms of locomotion and manipulation like wheels and limbs and start to alter the metal landscape around them. They find they can split their Sparks to make more of their kind. Billions of years later it's a planet populated by mechanical beings. Now they have sophisticated Spark minds enhanced by the computers in their heads, but when they question where they first came from all they'll be able to say is they came to be as they were through a natural evolution of gears and levers because that's all they can remember from their primitive days.

16. nkelsch

Your origin idea is cool. It shows another 'way' transformers can grow

Actually, check out the 'go-bots' as it is very similar to this concept. Since Go-bots have kinda been ret-conned into the TF multiverse, it is not hard to expect that Gobotron was a race of organic beings spawned from evolution on 'that' incarnation' of Primus's physical form. (the planet)

Gobotron was hit by by a massive asteroid that destroyed the core and made the planet uninhabitable (unicron??) The organic beings were forced to download their entire civilization into robotic frames to survive. And they are now part of the 'multiverse' through those Universe comics.

So I think it is fine to see different origins for TFs, but it is nice how they can all fit into the multiverse which allows for connections and cross universe stories and it explains how beings in different universes develop with the same basic personalities and forms as they are all pulling from the same allspark.

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

When you include a god like Primus into the franchise, then it will always fall back to that. That is the canvas upon which all other things are painted. It will all be done with the knowledge there is a super god being with another bad super god being.

If you're wanting to explore TFs without religion, then its best to not even speak about religion. This is what I want. No mention of god or magical artifacts or anything along those lines. The TFs are big giant transforming robots. Heck, if they were just robots - that in itself is good enough for many great stories.

I don't like adding gimmicks to the story - and thats what adding religion does.

18. nkelsch

You can have the Multiverse include Primus and unicron without it being Religion or GODs because the Primus origin has reasonable and explainable Science based behind it. Energy beings that exist in more dimensions than our 3 dimensional world are going to be seen as 'GODS' by physical beings, but they are not. Q from Star trek wasn't a God but he might have appeared as one to us at one time.

I am unsure why you keep forcing it to be about religion. The well of Allsparks is just the name for a dimension full of energy beings that represent 'Sparks' as we know them. They are pulled from that universe via transwarp technology and encased in robotic frames in the physical realm. Is this religion? I am not sure why this is any more or less science than robo-evolution except that it may be a science fiction story that parallels human religion and someone has a grudge against human religion and wants it removed from the franchise.

I like Multiverse, I like Primus existing in infinite Universes while Unicron exists as a singularity. I like the individual scienticfic evolution of each individual universe being an isolated development. I like the 'Well of allspark' being the source for TF sparks which keeps TFs the same from series to series. I like TFs being unnatural in the physical realm and being technologically primative for being robots. And none of that has to do with religion any more than the Enterprise's warp drive being a religious magic 'space speedbooster'.

19. flamepanther

Re: naturally occurring gears, etc.

Didn't the comics eventually explain that the larger mechanical parts of Transformers are actually composed of nanomachine "cells"? That explains things like reformatting, as well as later concepts like self-repair, CR chambers, etc. Self-replicating nanomachines are already a topic of research here on earth, and are accepted to be very possible. Classical physics understands the entire world as mechanistic anyway, and what are organic cells besides somewhat squishy nanomachines? Why could these nanomachines not occur naturally somewhere in the universe, and evolve into organized groups that replicate the shape and function of gears and other mechanisms? It still isn't my favorite explanation, but it doesn't seem much less plausible than our own evolution.

20. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I disagree. If Transformers are indeed sentient creatures that are more than just machines, than they most likely would have formed their own culture(s), religion(s), philosophies, etc.

I have no problems with the Transformers believing in a creator or having their own unique takes on life.

No, my problem with using Primus/Unicron is that it's been over-saturating the stories as of late and the whole Unicron Trilogy is still fresh in peoples' mind.

I would just have them either go a different route entirely, or if the God-complex was to become a focal point, to completely do something different other than rehash Primus and Unicron.