How Would You Write It?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Joeis4Jord4n, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I appreciate the sentiment but as much as I don't like dogs, I just want them to stay away from me. I wouldn't want to hurt them.

2. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    If I was line editor at IDW (since really, that's what this thread has really become), here's what I'd do.

After the third Hasbro Universe crossover, end Lost Light and Optimus Prime, and launch a single Transformers title, written by a new writer. Having failed in their quest, a dejected Rodimus and company return to Cybertron. Meanwhile, Optimus continues to lead a group of Transformers on Earth. However, a new threat emerges in the form of the Ultracons, a group of terrorists who are against the Council of Worlds and the colony worlds. While several of our "main characters" are away to the colony worlds, the Ultracons destroy the space bridges to each world, stranding our heroes. The book would then follow the various characters on Cybertron, the colony worlds, and Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Oh, and just because it's fun, here's what I'd do with the rest of the Hasbro Universe titles:

ROM: Rom receives a distress signal from Solstar Order HQ, ordering him to return to Elonia. While he is reluctant to leave Earth, he has never received a distress signal from Elonia. As such, Rom must journey to his home planet, traversing the galaxy to do so.

Micronauts: The Micronauts return to Microspace! But is it the same Microspace they left? Their time traveling adventures have landed them back in the past of Microspace, before the war between the Ministry of Science and the Monistry of Defense. Now the Micronauts are determined to prevent the war, stop Baron Karza's rise to power, and keep the entropy cloud from ever forming in the first place.

G.I. Joe: Krake has returned as Commander of the new Cobra, which seeks to return Cobra to its old cloak-and-dagger ways. G.I. Joe must once more wage a secret war with Cobra, while also serving as a public international peace keeping force, dealing with villains from across the globe.

M.A.S.K.: During one of their missions, the MASK team suffers a catastrophic loss - the death of Matt Trakker! In the wake of this, the team splits up. One year later, the individual members are brought back together by a mysterious benefactor... Matt Trakker, brother of Cornelius Trakker and uncle to the previous MASK leader. Trakker Sr. wishes to reestablish the Mobile Armored Strike Kommand, along with new members Hondo McLean and Buddie Hawkes. However, Trakker also has to deal with his adopted son, Scott and Scott's robot (repurposed from a Cybertronian drone) T-Bob.

4. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime

1) Rename the damn thing. None of this stupid "Let's make him like Superman!" The books work best focusing on groups, not single bots
    2) Optimus brought Earth into the Council of Worlds to protect it. Let's see that. The issue I take over writing opens with an attack by the Quintessions that causes Earth to be cut off from the universe. Maybe shunted to a pocket dimension? Worse, the Autobots find themselves separated, causing new and interesting team ups. Suddenly humanity must work together with Optimus and his group against this new threat. We get a year long event of the Autobots and GI Joe having to find allies (both new and old, including maybe introducing a group who has been enslaved by the Quints who decide to help) to free Earth. When the event ends humanity and the Cybertronians have a MUCH better relationship and we can explore now these two races truly joining together.
    3) Spike heroically sacrifices himself after pulling a Heel-Face turn, realizing he has only made things worse.
    4) The Torchbearers die. In the first issue. A Quintession vaporizes them

Lost Light

1) I think it is beginning to course correct with less of a focus on Megatron (I love that arc but agree that by the end it became too much about him).
    2) Open with Getaway in trouble and him sending out a call for aid... and Starscream revealing that because he interfered with Cybertronian Law all the muitineers are wanted for Treason and will be killed.
    3) Rodimus and the group get a new ship (called The Lost Light II because Rodimus sucks at naming things). Within the first arc they help an alien race who reveal that their Creation Story is, in fact, a tale about the Knights! Those the story becomes the Crew jumping from Planet to Planet, saving alien races, and slowly getting closer to the Knights. Make it the Transformer Version of Firefly.
    4) Introduce a new big bad group, with their lead enforcer... Doubledealer, rebuilt after his apparent 'death'. He leads his own crew (find some fun and obscure Transformers, add the likes of Lockdown) and make them the rivals to the group

Till All Are One

1) Change name to Transformers: Cybertron
    2) Every 3 to 4 issues will focus on a different group, with an overarcing theme running tying all the stories together.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joeis4Jord4n

Joeis4Jord4n Well-Known Member

No, don't kill all of the mutineers! I love Gears, Huffer, Hound, Hoist, Doublecross, Grapple, Bluestreak, Smokescreen, Broadside, Mirage, Grotesque, Hosehead, Siren, Repugnus, Blaster, Brawn, Highbrow, Inferno, Jackpot, Mainframe, and Xaaron!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    I didn't say they WOULD be killed... only that if they are caught they WILL be. Thus Getaway finds himself on the run, and the mutineering asshats on the ship are forced to flee forever.

7. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Cowboy Bebop style story of the adventures of an exiled Megatron, joined by a former police officer who lost his memory(Orion Pax) and Ravage.

8. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't he just name it the Rod Pod 2.0?

9. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    It isn't a pod though, it's a ship. So he would call it Lost Light II.

Actually, I could see Ratchet making that snide comment ("Why not Rod Pod 2?") and Rodimus arguing that of course it isn't a pod, it's a ship, and Rod Ship sounds silly.

10. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    where's action man

11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Action Man is still with the Revolutionaries, who are now exploring the mysteries of the Hasbro Universe in space while fighting against the evil Captain Zargon.

12. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    acceptable

In all seriousness, though: what I'd probably do with the rest of the Hasbroverse (paired with my earlier "one Transformers title, one Spotlight ongoing" pitch) is give the Joes one title with a relatively "pure" Joe skew - still action-y sci-fi with memorable characters and wacky supervillains, but keeping Transformers and Dire Wraiths out of it for the most part - and one Rom series that... well, would pretty much be exactly like the current Rom title.
    The Micronauts go back to Microspace, where they can wait until IDW wants to do a Micronauts miniseries, and Action Man and MASK go into limbo to occasionally be pulled out when the Transformers, Rom or GI Joe title has use for them.
    And, uh, Visionaries can also be in limbo waiting to get used again.

Purely on a gut level, I think that would generally be "sustainable", and would let the four ongoing titles in question keep up a healthy level of sales.

13. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Some of this is more what I'd do if I had creative control over the direction of the line, rather than specific plot writing.

Optimus Prime

Shortly after the events of 'First Strike', Onyx Prime at last makes his presence known and launches an assault against Earth, backed by a legion of techno-organic minions and former Eukarian colonists. In the resulting battle, Onyx inflicts massive devastation on Earth, including annihilating San Francisco in a scene reminiscent of Jhiaxus' attack at the end of the Marvel G2 comic. A team of Earth's top scientists (Bharwaney, Sumdac, Arkeville, etc.) develop an energy weapon specifically engineered to disrupt and destroy Cybertronian sparks. The weapon proves to be invaluable in defeating Onyx Prime. However, in the aftermath, the UN passes a resolution to set up a network of spark-disruptors which will generate a planet-wide energy field rendering Earth uninhabitable to Cybertronian life. Earth issues Optimus Prime a clear ultimatum: All Cybertronians are to leave Earth immediately or be destroyed when the generators are activated. Optimus and Soundwave gather their crews and return to Cybertron - joined by Verity and Marissa (and Buster), who both object to Earth's actions against the Cybertronians. As the Transformer ships depart Earth, a transmission is received welcoming the planet into the Galactic Council...

At this point, the title would be renamed to "Transformers: Cybertron".

The returning characters from Earth soon find themselves uncomfortable in Iacon under Starscream's government and facing social and political repercussions for the failed colonization of Earth. Expressing disappointment in how little Starscream has accomplished in restoring any of the planet beyond Iacon, Optimus gathers his crew, Soundwave, Soundwave's crew, the Torchbearers, Thundercracker, Springer, their human allies, and some familiar faces to form a team with the mission of charting the restored planet. The series would alternate between two parallel plotlines: Starscream's political machinations and dealings with the colonists in Iacon and Team Optimus' exploration of Cybertron.

As a general note, this change in direction would effectively remove the Transformers titles from much shared 'Hasbroverse'. Some of the space-based characters (Rom, Micronauts) may show up on occasion if warranted by the plot, but the regular interaction of Transformers with GI Joe, MASK, Visionaries, Jem, My Little Pony, Magic the Gathering - or whatever else is in the Hasbroverse now - would come to an end.

Til All Are One

Replaced with a set of thirteen four-issue miniseries called "Transformers Universe", released two-per-year, which would provide more details about all of the 13 Cybertronian colonies. Each miniseries would have a different creative team and be free to tell a story from any point in the history of their colony. Some of the miniseries, particularly those focusing on the established colonies (Eukaris, Devisun, etc.), would tie in more closely to "Transformers Cybertron". Others could allow for readers to catch up with characters not receiving focus in "Transformers: Cybertron". For example, "Transformers Universe: Prion" could serve the dual purpose of catching up with Nickel and revealing more information about her home colony, while "Transformers Universe: Earth" could focus on how Earth has changed since Optimus and his crew left.

Lost Light

Cancelled and relaunched as the maxi-series "Transformers: Knights of Cybertron" with Roberts writing and Milne on artwork. Roberts would be given 24 regular size issues, two annuals and one 'giant-size' final issue in which to tell his story, at which point the series would end. Roberts would also be given virtual carte blanche to tell his story and do whatever he wants with the characters, barring any corporate edicts from Hasbro. The only restrictions would be that Unicron is off-limits and Megatron must be back from the Functionist universe by the end of the series (not necessarily alive, just so long as his corpse is back in the right universe).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just as a thought, but: if Optimus Prime and Lost Light ended at issue 23, that would both line up with about when the third Hasbroverse crossover will presumably be happening, and would give both series 80 numbered issues when taken with their predecessors - exactly the same as the Marvel US series.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that ends up happening.