How Would You Write It?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Joeis4Jord4n, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    All the IDW comics desperately need more Decepticons.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    If I were writing "MtMtE Gaiden" I would make Tarn Roller, not because I didn't like the swerve in Dying of the Light but because what I would do to Prowl.

Optimus and company during the time Roller went missing were fighting Sentinel Prime's enforcers. Who was a member of Sentinel Prime's inner circle? Prowl. Who more or less blamed Optimus Prime for scuttling his relationship with Chromedome? Prowl. Who would have the bearings to create a homicidal maniac out of a former Autobot and turn him against the Decepticons? Prowl. So that's precisely what he would do.

After being separated from Optimus Prime, Roller was captured by Sentinel's Security Forces. Prowl would have just thrown him in jail, but he saw an opportunity in Roller's relationship with Prowl. So he begins replicating Megatron's origin through beating and torturing Roller, but not without giving him access to Megatron's manifestos. A Decepticon made to order, a zealot to out Herod Herod. Then he turns him loose on Megatron. Megatron accepts Optimus Prime's former best friend with open arms, of course. And the DJD is born, an exquisite flower of death among the Decepticon ranks. The DJD specialized in taking powerful and high ranking Decepticons off the board. Left to their own devices, they would kill every Decepticon who wore their badge crooked. If a few thousand innocents died along the way it was no paint off Prowl's nose.

Then comes the reveal in issue 55, just in time for Ratchet to come back. It's devastating. But Prowl is busy turning over a new leaf, washing dishes with Red Alert. Will Ratchet and Optimus ever find out? I don't know, I don't write the books.

But Kup found out.

3. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I guess one of the big things I would change is that Ultra Magnus would not be Minimus Ambus. And the other major thing I would change about IDW, in general, is that the Transformers seem to have the strangest ability to forget major events in their lives that occurred just a few years ago in story. I would want that to change.

As cool as it was to see the little guy come out of the big guy (a nice homage to the original UM toy and a nice nod to Dreamwave), I can't stand that they made Magnus some other dude (retroactively) for the entire series, minus Autocracy. If they are going to do that, fine, I guess, but the fact that this was an ongoing deception by the Autobot high command, but the fact that NO ONE cares bothers me a ton. It's supposed to be this huge, grave secret that everyone is afraid will deeply affect the Autobot psyche, but it amounts to nothing. Why put it in if literally not one person looks at Minimus any different? Did OP know that someone he was supposed to be close to was someone else the whole time? How did that affect their relationship?

Which brings me to the second point... Needlenose seems to be the only Transformer with the ability to nurse a grudge. Either they all data dump the negative experiences in their looooooong lives, or it's something that's just glossed over. I would change that.

4. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I'd actually like for Micronauts to merge with one of the Transformers comics permanently.
    They have some of the best written characterisations of the characters introduced via revolutions, you can see the writers really having fun with them.

I'd have MASK do the same thing with GI Joe in some way. A MASK centered Joe book if that makes sense, for the more Sci fi Joe stuff.

5. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well then have I got good news for you. New IDW Hasbro Universe Series Announced, Plus First Strike Tie-Ins | The Allspark

• Like Like x 1
  6. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I forgot Action Man. He and Doctor X would fit in with GI Joe great too.
    In a word what i'd do is cancel Revolutionaries. And start a GI Joe/MASK/Action Man ongoing in its stead on top of the proper GI Joe ongoing. It's almost what Revolutiinaries is anyway, but this way you can shove the Transformer chatacters back into their own comics and focus on just three franchises.

7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    YOU MONSTER

8. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Yeah i knew you'd say that :p 
    But as i see it not much would change.
    The focus would just be more on Gi Joe, Action Man and MASK.
    The villains and heroes of Revolutionaries would be largely the same but without Transformers being a part of it the stories can be more for lack of a better term "levelheaded".
    Cause (not knowing too much about GI Joe and Action Man) i think these three franchises have most similarities. There is a sci fi element to them, but it doesnt go out of bounds.
    TF and Micronauts i also see having a lot in common. So i see that as a fruitfull merger.
    The only odd man out i see is ROM, wich has a more fantasy-horror aspect to it than any of the other titles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    But then you'd lose the team dynamic that makes Revolutionaries so good. You have Action Man (the young human) and Kup (the literally ancient robot) being the best of pals. Then there's Blackrock, who's questioning his humanity vs his Cybertronian nature, which is represented by his teammates, while hiding this internal struggle in his eccentric billionaire attitude. And then Mayday having to essentially be the Mom of the team, especially given her unique history with guys like Blackrock and Kup.

That's the thing. If the Revolutionaries cast were to get folded into any other book, it'd be Optimus Prime. Mayday, Kup, and Blackrock were already supporting cast members of exRID, and Action Man is now best friends with Kup. Action Man would actually be MORE out of place in G.I. Joe.

10. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Well ok, that is true. But those relationships are not set in stone. Sooner or later they will change anyway.
    And Action Man also has a whole array of people he works with who have vanished from his story since revolutions ended.
    If he were to team up with MASK, who would act as a subsidiary of GI Joe in a longterm plot were they take on Venom, Doctor X and Blitz's buddies those people would be able to enter the story again.

Offcourse i would prefer if every title could stay on it's own and concentrate on the characters from it's own franchise.
    But bad financial weather apparently made IDW cut the trial for the lesser known titles short.
    Wich is kind of sad, cause who knows if Micronauts or ROM could have become a big title if they had gotten time to develop and attract readers on the merrit of the writing outside of shared events.

11. GoLion

GoLion Sé que me estás robando

News Credits:
    I think they're the best right now. I would still say that MTMTE is still the best comic that IDW has produced.

Frankly, I think IDW has done a great job, overall, with the license. They've created some interesting characters (Getaway being one of my favorites).

And the GI Joe/Transformers crossover by Scioli/Barber was fucking... it did things with these characters that I've never seen. Stuff that was just simply amazing. A lot of people just don't get what made that series so damn special. They focused on that very old school niche art. I get why that turned some people off, but the story was damn good. Better than just about anything done at IDW. Not including Roberts' first 20 issues of MTMTE.

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

I know I stated this in a different thread also but if I was writing lost light I would take an influence from the 1986 movie and troll the hell out of the early season 1 characters.

skids and tailgate are already down and it would likely break our hearts but I think the time is right to brutalise them whether that be killing them outright or having all their hopes and dreams crushed as most of their arcs have either already played out or become repetitive. they need to take a backseat to give the newer characters the page count room the season 1 lot enjoyed first time around to give us a better chance to get to know them.

As well as reinstalling roberts's sadistic cruel part of his writing I would also add some more mysteries for us to overthink and develop crazy conspiracies about.

If I was barber I would show more of the events taking place in my stories rather than have a character over-explain them in the dreaded monologues. Show don't tell is writers cliche for a good reason.

If I was writing till all are one I would develop some magic wand to magically stop all the annoying event comics so that you can continue writing your brilliant comic and be hailed as a hero by all who enjoy idw transformers comics but are feeling fatigued and financially exploited by all the idw events

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Offhand thoughts:

-I don't like the Optimus Prime book so much, so no thoughts there.

MTMTE/Lost Light
    -TIghten things up a bit.
    -Keep Megatron's redemption quest, but make him lapse into old habits a bit more.
    -Add some Decepticons to the crew in Season 2. Folks that are sick of Starscream, have no desire to follow Galvatron, Megatron Loyalist/Fanatics that just keep following him specifically, and those who just want to get the hell out of Cybertron and do something.
    I'd probably try to add folks who haven't really done anything like Skullcruncher, Octopunch, just go through some C/D listers and pick them up.
    -Delay the introduction of the "new" season 3 cast.
    -Maybe introduce a colony or two. I find it a bit odd that they've been exploring/Dicking around as much as they have and haven't run into any colonies, or atleast ships from them.

Till All are One
    -Keep going.

I'd probably add Nightbeat to that group.

14. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I had the same thought, but at the same time it feels like Nightbeat's arc has kind of gone nowhere, you know what I mean? Or that it's not really existant. I mean, I loved his little conversation with the Necrobot about death, but that's about it, eh? I feel like there is potentially more to him, but there isn't really all that much really to it. I like him, but if he was taken out of the current story I wouldn't find there to be too much of a difference.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  15. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Optimus's lack of faith wouldn't change anything about his relationships vs the Camien religion because he's already not Camien and doesn't follow their faith. What the problem is that the story treats the Camien religion as the only other one around; if Optimus followed one of the Cybertronian sects he'd be at just as much odds with Aelerion and Pyra Magna as he is now.

Him being atheist isn't the problem.

16. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

From your point of view. An equally valid interpretation is that it is the WHOLE problem.

17. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Miniautoquintessoboticon

Well he is supposed to be the deceiver. Hiding his true, monstrous appearance behind a friendlier, more approachable face would definitely be fitting and make him more interesting.

I'd probably throw in using one of his concept helmets over the one they went with, too, just because the one he has is just a robot Loki helmet.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Sort of like Sauron in the Lord of the Rings backstory, using pleasant guises to do his work, until he was cursed by the elves.

19. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

I would really like to write my own story from the start than mess around with what's happening.

All I'd say is clean up the scripts, I've dropped every Transformers comic due to being too wordy. Make sure there is an overarching plot that goes somewhere every issue.

A risky move I would do out of respect. Kill off Optimus if Peter Cullen ever dies and kill off Megatron if Frank Welker dies.

I'd also pitch an animated adaption of IDW's comics to someone. I don't know how creating cartoons works.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Get rid of Barber and Scioli. Barber has ruined Prowl, Needlenose and Thundercracker.

Bring back Furman and EJ Su.

Bring back Spotlights.

Ignore Regeneration and start an ongoing that continues from Marvel US and will eventually lead into and expand upon G2 using modern toy designs and newer characters like Acid Storm. Never use Wildman again. Kill the Wreckers in the first issue.

More Prowl but only written by Roche or Roberts.

More Scavengers.

Kill Tailgate, Alpha Trion, Windblade, Nautica, Anode, Lug, Kup, Rattrap, Wheeljack, Rung, Fulcrum, Blackrock, Spike and Buster.