How would you write humans in a new series?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Honorbound, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

As in the title: Assuming that you were in charge of the Transformers production after Prime, you had to include humans, and you were given carte blanche over their depiction, how would you handle humans in a Transformers story?

Me, I would go with either a mix of S7/NEST as allies to the Transformers (even if they can't stand up to a Transformer in battle), or have the main human leads be conspiracy theorists who are trying to figure out what is going on, sort of like Hunter O'Nion, only without getting screwed by Shane McCarthy (anyone who tells me that he wasn't trying to tear down Simon Furman's work, flawed though it may be, is drinking the Flavor-Aid).

Edit: I got the idea for this thread after reading Sol Fury's post on how he would prefer humans in a series in the "How come they create new humans for almost every series?" thread.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A farm family helping the Autobots hide.

Mostly so I can set-up the idea of all Autobots being rural/heavy duty vehicles!

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    A series with the Autobots working with the humans in the Gov't while focusing on one soldier, scientist and someone in the Gov't and how their families interact with the Autobots.

4. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    Make them adults for starters

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I mostly have two ideas for what my ideal humans would be like:

- NEST soldiers in badass armor, akin to what we saw in that DOTM concept art a while back, or DOTM HA Spike Witwicky.

- I also really dig the concept of Sari, even though she's technically not a human.

- A Kicker-like human, sans personality, and with a voice that isn't incredibly annoying. I liked how he gained the ability to sense energon, thus making him relevant to the plot, and not just some random, ordinary kid the Autobots decided to take home. I also thought his suit of armor was pretty cool. Of course his core-character was absolutely dreadful, but it's the concept that I kinda liked.

- For human villains, I really like the concept of MECH, and think Silas is a pretty badass character. I think NEST and MECH having a rivalry would be cool.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    mentally broken homeless guy, wandering the streets, and going on adventures with alien robots that exist only in his imagination. I picture him looking and sounding like tommy chong. scenes would switch back and forth between his imagination and reality, but he would continue to act as if the robots were real.

I'm dead serious.

7. Honorbound

These are all looking like good ideas.

Shroobmaster: I like the idea of a family offering the Autobots shelter; it gives them a reason to be in the story, a good reason to interact with the Autobots (they're the landlords), and a compelling reason for the Autobots to keep fighting. The younger Autobots, such as Bumblebee and Arcee, could befriend the children, while the older ones would be surrogate aunts and uncles.

rxlthunder: Your idea also works, partly for the same reasons that shroobmaster's idea works, and partially because the humans would aid the Autobots in their struggle. It's rare for humans to return the favor when the Autobots lay their lives down; that's one reason why I like NEST.

Tracer: This idea also works, but we could have kids if we make them emotionally mature, like Jack and Raf, or Hogarth in Iron Giant.

Mechafire: I like your first idea, since it would enable humans to fight alongside the Autobots. Also, the Autobots could be the providers of that kind of technology, as part of their joint effort to defeat the Decepticons.

What would you all think of the Autobots and humans working together to make pilotable, transforming drones, like Powermasters without the body alteration and combining part?

Edit: Valkysas: Ooookay, then.

8. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

no humans at all, I'd have the show set during the beginning of the great war on cybertron

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    That's actually an idea I had that I forgot to list. I dig it.

10. Honorbound

Mechafire: Thanks.

Crazy Ramjetty: I was sort of wondering what you would do with them if you had to include them. I figured that most fans would take this option, so I tried to include the "you need to have humans" requirement.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I'd like it, but maybe in the second movie or season of said series.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If I win the lottery I will volunteer to bankroll this project. My word it sounds awesome.

13. Honorbound

rxlthunder: That would be best, since we need a season or so of the Autobot(s) fighting alone to demonstrate the need for backup, as well as give humanity the tools it needs to defend itself from the Decepticons (not that the mechs will be of any use against Decepticon heavy hitters; just their drones & average guys).

14. megatronski

megatronski Primaris

News Credits:
    Umm.... im gonna be all alone on this, but i prefer whats happened before, a bunch of kids pulled into the war, having the autobots as their "guardians" against the Decepticon threat.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorta the same idea I have for a movie styled reboot:

The military or some sub-section of the military discover the existence of Autobots on Earth (how they got there: still undecided) and do exactly what we'd expect: hunt them and try to capture them since they're considered an alien enemy, potential threat, etc. This is what causes the Autobots to reformat/rebuild/whatever themselves into Earth disguises - so they can inhabit our world without the fear of starting a war while they try to figure out how to get off the planet and back home. As expected, the Cons would eventually show up (again, how they got there: still undecided), quickly prove themselves to be the evil guys while of course showing that the Autobots are the good guys. This then causes a quasi alliance with the military. They won't actually work together as showcased in the movies, but will have a sort of agreement where the Autobots promise to remain as hidden as possible from humans while they try to eliminate the Decepticon threat in exchange for materials & resources to eventually get back home since, despite the Autobots technically keeping humans safe while they're on Earth, they have no desire whatsoever to stay on the planet once the Cons are dealt with. In contrast, the Decepticons not only want to also get back to Cybertron, they as usual want to plunder as much as possible while on Earth but also try to barter with the military themselves - offering weaponry & technology to use against their enemies also in exchange for resources to ultimately get back home (and obviously destroy the Autobots). This of course leads to an expected split in the military ranks (as high as NATO) on both militant & political levels which plays out via all sorts of story arcs about false wars, treason, sabotage, etc. If it got deep & detailed enough, I think that could easily play out for a good 3 seasons and still be engaging despite the human element... something that has to be there whether we like it or not.

The main goal is to do away with the kid side of things, keep it very real and very 'adult' themed, give the Decepticons an all new angle of how they're evil (through the very thing their faction name conveys:deception) and not just be mindless insect looking drones blowing random shit up or are a bunch of dumb walking cartoon bad guy stereotypes that always fail or get their asses handed to them, maintain the whole "robots in DISGUISE" angle of the Transformers brand, and maintain an clear endgame conclusion for both factions to fight for and ultimately win.

That's more or less what I'd want to see in a new series or movie reboot.

16. Honorbound

I like it; however, I would recommend having the Decepticons offer weapon to hostile nations' militaries, playing on their hatred of the Autobots' American (and by extension NATO) allies. Politically incorrect, I know, but where's the fun in that?

Edit: It could be like in Simon Furman's old Infiltration-Escalation story arc, with the Decepticons trying to destabilize Earth enough so that they can conquer it.

17. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    How would I write humans?

As bodies piled up on the side of the road, with Decepticons standing over them, laughing.

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

My idea would be making a human team entirely composed by: Seymour Simmons, Capt. Lennox, Major. Epps, Dutch, Fanzone and Fowler.

And Silas for the villains, best human villain ever.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But I think that's too predictable: Autobots aligning with Americans, Decepticons aligning with whoever is considered America's enemy - which would undoubtedly be somewhere in the middle east. I like the NATO idea because it involves several power nations as opposed to the same old boring cliche of "everything only happens in the States". And I like that the Decepticons would actually be, well, deceptive if they're also whispering in the ears of military officials with a bunch of false promises and their own alternate agenda. Makes things more complicated, and by extension more interesting, as opposed to the predictability of Autobots & Americans vs. Decepticons & some random Bombyourshitistan country.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with this idea. I really want humans who aren't a liability.

But this idea is the bee's knees. :D