How would you solve this problem.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I was reading the latest Joe Fridays at newsarama and the idea of fixing Spiderman being married came up. I got to thinking. I never really knew Spiderman being unmarried but the idea of it does cause more drama. Ben Reilly was perfect as Spidey in this instance. He was Spiderman yet also had to try having an active socail life.

Seriously, this is something they should do with Johnny Storm.

But alas, how would you try to unmarry Peter? The problem isn't the act but the response to it. Here's my breakdown.

- Peter cheats and leads to divorce - Would simply destroy the character. Spiderman would be unlikable.

- MJ cheats - would be more tolerable because that's who we are trying to ax but Peter divorcing her for it would make him less of the man he has been built to be.

- MJ death - they tried it once and it cauised a brooding less likable Spiderman. Also would probably have the Gwen Stacy affect and we get reminded of it constantly.

- MJ just leaves - tried as well, same results

So how would you guys do it?

2. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I dunno, somehow I doubt I can see Pete cheating on MJ. Its possible for her to cheat on Peter, I mean with him gone all the time, giving no attention, etc. Could always just kill her off or have her leave.

3. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Yeah I dunno if I can it in the main book but I think what your asking about is what we're getting in the Ultimate Books.

4. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

How about not doing anything? I think having Peter as a married schoolteacher is a really interesting dynamic that they're doing basically nothing with.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd give them their damn baby back and let them get on with their lives. Times change, people grow up, even in comic books. Let Peter Parker be married, let him have a family. If written properly, this should add a whole new dimension to Spider-Man, not hold him back.

Bringing in Ben Reilly was the best chance Marvel had to undo the marriage, and they royally screwed it up. So just leave it alone now. If people want to read about single, high school student Peter Parker, they can read Ultimate Spidey.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That's my view, completely. We have Ultimate Spider-Man for a young unmarried Peter. I don't want to read Amazing Spider-Man 1500 and have it star Peter and Mary as 80 year old seniors, but being married shouldn't be a problem in Spider-Man.

7. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I agree; I think many more interesting plots can come from Peter and MJ being married. And I hope they DON'T kill MJ; she's not only a classic character, but one that it seems most everyone still enjoys seeing on the page.

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This is what I would do…

Have MJ going to London or Paris for a photo shoot and on the way OMG THE JET ENGENS ARE ALL BLOWING UP! Plain falls into the Atlantic Ocean every one dead.

Parker finds a new hot red head chick. Wait a couple years and while exploring the ocean floor near the plane wreckage they find a cocoon looking thing with MJ in side. Peter leaves the new chick in Alaska or some place and seems to forget all about her for a couple more years until she comes back into the picture all evil and stuff because OMG she is a clone of MJ crated by a villain never before seen but apparently has been manipulating aspects of Peter’s life all along! Then they can all fight or something. Maybe throw Ben Reilly back in there so they can kill him again too.

No one remembers X-Factor any more right? They could get away with it. Damn red heads.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fall into the "leave MJ alive and let them stay married" category, but just for the sake of fun, here's what I'd do to 'unmarry' Spider-Man:

Plot - Mary Jane develops cancer (of some kind) and dies.
    Qualifier - The cancer is due to natural causes alone, not because of anything even remotely Spider-Man-related.
    Reasoning - This idea would have a couple of benefits. First, obviously, is breaking up the marriage. Secondly, by having the cancer be from natural causes, we avoid the "brooding, angry Spider-Man" problem that would occur if MJ died from something Spider-Man/Peter could have possibly prevented (ie - supervillain attack, plane crash, hit by bus). Using an illness also avoids some of the problems of an 'instant death': Peter would have time to make peace with his wife and say goodbye (cutting down on the brooding afterwards) and, if the story wasn't well received, the writers could easily have MJ go into remission, rather than having to do a complicated resurrection later.
    Complication - If this route is used, inevitably some writer is going to retcon things so that MJ's cancer was 'really' caused by some supervillain, leading to the return of 'angry Spidey' once again.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Thank you and goodnight.

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Don't forget the demons. Gotta have the demons.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    And the baby that gets sent to the future and comes back as a gun-toting messiah with weaponry the size of small Volkswagens.

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Lets see, want an unmarried spiderman, ohh I don’t know let me think let me think…

BRING

BACK

BEN

REILLY

God damn it.

Other than that I am fine with Peter being married, I don’t think it needs to be changed at all.

14. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see Peter being married as a problem. Even comic book characters have to grow up eventually. I actually think it'd be cooler if MJ had a baby rather then make Spidey single again.

15. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I have to go with Joey Q on this one. I think Peter Parker was created to be the young role model, the bachelor good guy. I don't think he was ever created to get married off. Just like batman, no way Bruce is going to get married for real!! I can see a Hal Jordan or a Oliver Queen getting married but not Peter Parker. As what to do now? Wow! Do you really want to cheapen the character no more than you have in the past 12 years? I think they really need to leave it alone because if you kill her off you are just going to have another Gwen. Every story will be on how he lost the love of his life at least for a year or two. So I say leave it be, but I don't think he should of ever married. I know characters are supposed to evolve but not when you take part of the essance of the character himself away.

16. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superboy punches a wall..BANG!..Peter never got married. Simple as that.:D 

17. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

Have him wake up from a dream... a nightmare.

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ah, the old Bob Newhart idea, eh?

19. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

the only problem with Peter being married is that comic book writers don't know WTF to do with married super heroes. Superman. Spidey. Hell, even Ant Man put comic writers into panic attacks that ended in a clever & patient hero for decades becoming a wife beater because that was the only thing they could think of.

Reed Richards is basically the only successful married super-hero, and only when writers just imitate what Stan did with the characters, since he was the one that got it.

20. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

If Stan had wanted Pete to stay in some Archie/Simpsons-like stasis forever, then he would have left him in high school for his entire 100+ issue run of the comic. Instead Stan broke his own mold by having him go off to college within the 3rd year of the series, because he wanted readers to relate to Peter as a real person.