How would you salvage Optimus' character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GigatronSama, Nov 6, 2011.

1. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Just a creative experiment for anyone who didn't care for Prime's characterization in the movies, especially DOTM. What would you do to make him a more ideal Prime? Particularly if you had to continue on with the current continuity without restarting the character.

Would you move to make him more noble? Heroic? Or just bring to light his dark side and let the character slide into oblivion?

Throw some ideas out there.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The only suggestion I can put forward is that someone or something must awaken him to the fact that he's essentially doomed his race. And even then, I'm not sure such a move will work.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well his race doomed itself.

4. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I Wouldn't change his Character at all he's Perfect as Is :D 

5. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Optimus Prime is portrayed as he should be in the films. The leadership, the honor, the intergrity and loyalty that he show are all on track, and happen because of Mr. Cullen's ability to bring life to that character in a way that he never could in the cartoons.

In the final scenes of DOTM, we see Optimus at a strategic inflection point, where he is shown as the ultimate victor over the tyranny of the Decepticons. Though there may be more battles, Optimus has won the war, and turned the tide for the Autobots.

However, this is, after all, my personal view of the character.

6. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Probably, while I approve of the total badassedness of Movie Prime, I think he should show some regret for his mass slaughter of Decepticons, and remorse for his fallen soldiers. He never once mentioned Jazz, Jetfire, the Arcee's, Ironhide, Quejack, Brains and Wheelie. Likely, in a fourth film Prime comes to terms with all the shit that's gone down, all the friends he's lost, and all the carnage he had to do to ensure the victories of the Autobots.

7. Tikin

Tikin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one of my ways of seeing Movie!Prime leaves everything in the movies intact:
    He has anger problems.

Yes it is a serious oversimplification, but that's essentially what my fanon boils down to; when those he is close to are threatened he can go into an uncontrollable rage of face taking and killing all.

For the first movie he didn't really have any trouble yet, and Shanghai was his first real breaking point, a result of all the human and autobot causalities on Earth by decepticon hands. The forest battle and Egypt are these episodes exponentially getting worse and worse, due to his closeness to Sam in particular and The Fallen threatening the entire human species, culminating in snarling face-related demands at The Fallen. His dropping of Jetfire's parts was due to being too exhausted, physically and mentally, to notice, and getting all introspective about his little fits. The entire Chicago scene in DoTM is another of these episodes, but one where he is still more or less in control, brought on by Sentinel's betrayal, Ironhide's death, and the sheer fact of what the decepticons just did.

He realizes his problems since coming to Earth and worries about whether he is fit to be a leader, but the other autobots encourage him to remain leader, pointing to how the Matrix accepted him as leader and how the fits have only been happening since the decepticons involved the humans in their war, so it's born more out of a desire to protect than anything else. Nonetheless he has spent a lot of time discussing it with Ironhide, Elita-1, and others who have known him the longest, and he has come to the conclusion he's no longer quite the noble, incorruptible, moral center he used to be.

The other ones more or less what chopperface said. :) 

8. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

kill him, bring on roddy!

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Most of the Decepticons plans seemed to be about saving Cybertron so I'm not sure how you figure the race doomed itself when it's Autobot win at any cost that seems to have doomed the race.

Transformers have space travel so at some point the Autobots could have left Cybertron to the Decepticons, but no the Autobots decided to stay around and fight until the planet was in ruins.

Megatron's plan in the first film is to get the All Spark and either rebuild Cybertron in his own image or perhaps take over the Earth. Got to admit it's not really clear what Megatron's plans were past get cube and then he was going to do something.

Second film, yea the Decepticon plan would have sucked big time for the humans, but the Decepticon evil plan was going to provide loads of Energon.

Third film the Decepticon plan seems to be rebuild Cybertron even though it's not really clear just how they do it with only slave labor when the first and second films seem to indicate they needed both the All Spark and Energon.

While the Decepticon plans were all bad for us as humans they all seemed to revolve around the idea of saving the Transformers race even if it meant a race of Decepticons. Not exactly sure what if anything Prime and his Autobots did to even make any attempts at saving their own race.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't think he needs salvaging per se, but yeah, I could definitely do with TF4 having a scene with OP reflecting on his actions over the past films.

11. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too will not wish to change his character but for DOTM,he killed Sentinel,his own kind,so is he counted as really that perfect,is up to all of us to give the opinion i guess.

12. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind seeing him have a heartfelt conversation with Ratchet and reflect on everything he's done, and how the war has changed him. It would also be nice to see him quit the war altogether and maybe fall into a deep depression.

13. megapork

megapork Cheese

Cover him in batter and cook him in oil. Jokes Aside, He could have been portrayed nobler if he said more noble stuff or was more diplomatic in some situations and less give-me-your facey. To be blunt I Kinda wish he was more like a mix of G1, Animated, and Prime Personalities with psychotic elements when nessesary. But to tell you the truth, G1 prime wouldnt fit in the movie-verse nor would animated prime but Prime prime would fit just perfect.

14. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All Optimus needs to do is articulate his positions in a rational way because his actions make him seem as much of a zealot as any of the villains in the movies. It'd be nice if new Autobots tracked the Allspark energy signature to Earth or came to salvage the sunharvester to take it back to Cybertron only to find a quarter of the planet missing and were all like "WTF, Optimus? You couldn't have chopped off Megatron's head two species-saving artifacts ago?!!?"

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    This.

Optimus won the war, but at a very great cost. Not only is his race now nearly, truly extinct, but he compromised his own morals and ethics by giving into his hatred and anger. It could make for a very interesting character development if he realizes that and tries in some way to let go of the pain that thousands of years of war has inflicted upon him and atone for his actions.

It'd also be interesting if this led to him becoming a villain, but that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

16. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do anything because nothing needs to be done. He gave the Cons what they deserved and is the only version of Optimus Prime to actually defeat them. He is ideal and is honorable.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    If he showed a value for life, I might like him more. As it stands, I cannot condone his cold-blooded killing of Demolishor and Sentinel. Those actions rob him of much of the nobility I see embodied by the character of Optimus Prime.

18. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. Why should he value the lives of those who are evil? "Hey, even though you've killed innocent Humans, I'm going to show you mercy." Absolutely ludicrous. Some people just don't deserve mercy.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    He hates Decepticons.

Difficult concept?

However in my own fanon I like to think he's just deathly afraid of zombies, and that's why he always goes for a headshot so they can't come back. He also sleeps with a shotgun next to his vehicle mode.

20. Soundwave338

Soundwave338 Broke College Student

Salvage?

Attached Files: