How would you rank them? The best lines of all-time! Input needed!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kingplay, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Curious on how you would rank the following.
    Pick your top 7 and list them from best to worst!
    Also give good reason if you got enough time :) 

Heres the list to pick from, if I am missing a major line please tell me and I will edit the post ^_^

Machine Wars
    Generation 2
    R.I.D, Robots In Disguise / Car Robots
    Armada / Micron Legends
    Alternators / Binaltech
    Universe
    Energon / Superlink
    Robot Masters
    Cybertron / Galaxy Force
    Star Wars (crossovers)
    Titanium
    Classics / Henkei
    Movie
    Animated
    Revoltech
    Robot Masters
    Marvel (crossovers)
    Beast Machines
    Beast Wars

As you notice, G1 isn't listed because these are classics thus it should be #1 on everyone's list! :D 

Masterpiece, aren't listed because they cost way more than the other lines.

I am going to predict a lot of people putting alternators/binaltech first on their list, then perhaps a lot of classics, movie, animated, quite curious about who everyone is going to slate in 5th through 7th :) 

For me personally,
    #1 Alternators / Binaltech (pure sexiness)
    #2 Classics / Henkei (great homage to G1)
    #3 Movie (great engineering on some)
    #4 Animated (taking transformers to the next level)
    #5 R.I.D (omega prime, nuff said)
    #6 Revoltech (love the poseability)
    #7 Galaxy Force (few cool combiners)

Want to see what your picks are!

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Well for starters, you put lines that arent related to Transformers (Star Wars, Marvel) or arent related to Hastak (Revoltech), and yet you skipped 2 extremely major lines, Beast Machines and the entirety of Beast Wars :p 

Anyway, Top 7 is the game huh?

1. Alternators (love the G1 design scheme and the realistic colors)
    2. Classics (Cybertron-level engineering without the interfering key gimmicks, nice G1 updates)
    3. RiD (some of the best toys ever made that arent Alternators. best combiner ever [Rail Racer])
    4. G2 (Laser Prime, Dreadwing/Smokescreen, the Laser Cycles, the Cyberjets, C'MON!)
    5. BW (pioneering line that changed the future of Transformers and gave us some toys that have yet to be topped)
    6. Cybertron (great variety and the peak of the AEC engineering)
    7. Movie (interesting and complex designs, a nice change of pace)

3. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Star Wars and Marvel had crossovers that I consider transformer-related :) 

As for revoltech, they got 5 transformer peices!

4. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

1. Classics/Universe - These are G1 toys the way they were always meant to be done.
    2. Alternators/Binaltech - G1 toys on CRACK. Love the super-realistic designs, but don't always love the fragile transformations.
    3. Robot Masters - I think they're fun, and they pull in different continuities.
    4. Titanium - Again, good G1 updates. Titanium Scourge lives with my Classics. Unfortunately the weight and fact that some of them fall apart keeps them out of the top spot.
    5. R.I.D./Car Robots - Some of the best designed toys of recent years. Omega Prime is one of the most complicated Primes/Magnuses I've ever seen. Loved the aesthetic.
    6. Cybertron/Galaxy Force - I thought the toys got to be really fun in this line. Nice G1 homages and some pretty kickass figures. Who doesn't love the huge Starscream??
    7. Revoltech - You say you want poseable figures? Here ya go. One thing keeps it from being higher up: non-transformable.

5. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    #1 - Cybertron - A really well thought out line, something for every taste, and a relatively unobtrusive gimmick that actually enhanced many of the figures

#2 - Beast Wars - Proved that great fiction could get me to care about some mediocre molds

#3 - RiD / Car Robots - The return to cars / fire trucks sucked me back in to collecting TFs, a perfect line for an Autobot fan.

#4 - Classics - Great characters with modern engineering. Limited number of characters counts against it, Universe ups the character count, but dilutes the line with some questionable molds/characters; jury's out

#5 - G1 - Great characters, a handful of molds ahead of their time that still stand up well today

#6 - Movie - A breath of fresh air that the line needed, watching entire legs automorph into place never loses its appeal

#7 - Animated - Perfect counter-point to the hyper-realism of the Movie.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 is near the bottom of my personal list; "classic" does not automatically equal "good".

And you have Robot Masters listed twice. (one for Robot Heroes?)

Anyway, my list:

(1) Movie 2007 - Excellent engineering on most figures and a unique design after years of the same old G1 redux...which they promptly went right back to.
    (2) Energon - A line with lots of variety and some experimental stuff. Not all of it worked, but the line was unique and tried a lot of ideas. Has several outstanding figures and the "Energon weapons" are my favorite gimmick over the past three or four lines.
    (3) Classics - Very well engineered toys. I was thinking of skipping this line due to my boredom with G1 rehashing, but the engineering won me over.
    (4) Armada - Some very bad figures, but most of the line was solid and I really liked the Minicons. Also gave us Unicron.
    (5) Cybertron - Very solid with lots of great figures. I would have ranked this higher, but I really hated the Planet Key gimmick, as the Keys got in the way on Deluxes and Basics (and some Voyagers) and were useless except for triggering action features...unlike Minicons, which could be a separate toy.

I'm only going up to five here, since I wouldn't classify any of the others as "best of all time" or even "great". Animated might be, eventually, but there aren't enough figures out yet to make an accurate judgment, IMO.