How would you make a live action Beast Wars Movie work?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DinoFreakUSA, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

If you were put in charge of a project to make a live action Beast Wars movie, how would you do it? How would they acquire animal forms? Is it connected to the original Transformers? What about scale? Where and when will the setting be? How would you make Beast modes "work" in a live action film?

I have an idea about how to make Beast Modes work in live action. Perhaps they are really mechanical animals that use holograms or some other cover over their robotic structures to resemble skin, scales, feathers, or fur.
    Perhaps the Predacons and Maximals could be an ancient race of Transformer that crashed on Earth millions of years ago and were put into stasis in pods. The pods scanned alternate modes and modified their bodies to resemble the animals they scanned. They do not need the DNA, just a scan.
    I see no problem wit keeping the original season one cast. Charactes like the Fuzors would probably not be seen. Not quite sure if the design should be like Bayformers though. Takes place in modern times.

Maximals: All have animal alt modes

Optimus Primal (Or maybe Primal Major)- Mountain Gorilla
    Cheetor- Cheetah
    Rattrap- Rat even though he would be very small
    Rhinox- African Rhino
    Dinobot- Dienonychus

Predacons: Only Megatron has a True Animal Alternate Mode the rest have animal-like machines for alternate modes

Megatron- Crocodile but later a Tyrannosaurus
    Tarantulas- No beast mode but a Spider-like alien machine
    Inferno- no beast mode but an ant-like alien machine
    Skorponok- scorpion-like alien machine or possibly revived original Skorponok
    Waspinator- poorly built wasp-like alien machine
    Terrorsaur- alien jet that appears like a pteranodon when in battle-mode

Giving the Predacons non-animal forms would further distinguish them from the Maximals. Not to mention there could be, hopefully subtle, 'protect the enviroemnt' messages.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I would keep the beast modes the same. (obviously just have them look more realistic) You're already having them be animals, giant bugs and rats aren't going to be that outrageous, especially if you make clear the alt modes are not to scale right off the bat.

The real issue is what would the story be? The aliens or the Autobots? Even if it was a trilogy and you made each movie after a season there'd still be so much abridged. Yeah season 1 wouldn't be too hard except maybe the finale, but a lot happens in the other two. And simply making up a new story seems pointless. Why make it specifically Beast Wars, then? Unless you did a sort of IDW thing and redid the Japanese and non-show characters, but fans wouldn't want it. Not that it's going to ever happen so why not, then?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd not do it in live action for one. I'd invest heavily in state of the art CGI and upgrade the series that way.

As for the how, yeah, I'd keep the story the same, but do it as an "abridged" version of the plot. Way I figure it, it would need to be shifted around a bit to work. That said, I cannot think of a convincing way to condense the plot without losing a lot of it, so it'd probably need to be a new story.

I guess the ultimate would be to go right back to the original rock bubble premise and character bios that made them exist in the modern world, as mutant gigantic animal robots?

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    My idea would be to keep it in the same movie universe, with or without Bay. Then have the Maximals and Predacons with vehicle modes at start, as a nod to the first G1 images. Instead of going back in time, I would have them crash on Earth during the 2300s. I would not go for a full BW TV series character group.

I would keep Megatron, Optimus, Rhinox, Rattrap, Waspinator, and Tarantulas. They would keep the beast modes from the TV series. By then having cloned Dinos could be in reason.

The rest of the Maximals and Predacons would be make up by:

Maximals:
    Snarl (Tas Devil)
    Wolfang
    Polar Claw
    Bonecrusher

Predacons:
    Jetstorm
    Razorclaw
    Spittor
    Cohrada

I would also have Tarantulas being much like his BW counter part, but I would have him being the creator of the Vehicons. Which I would have Megatron later using for himself.

Though in my version they would be more like Transmetals and be more machine like with organic features in robot mode. To explain the bigger versions of small creatures, I would have the scanners being damage and a error takes place during some scans.

Like the BW TV series, Megatron would have his own reason. In the TV show, it was to follow the G1 Megatron's instructions and kill Prime. In this version, it would be to send future tech to the past and have the cons kill the Autobots and thus destroy the Maximals.

5. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I say leave it alone and don't give the movie studios ideas!! J/K

Seriously though, I think it would cheapen the Beast Wars brand severely. I just can't see Hollywood getting it "right" and not totally fucking it up ,quite frankly. Can you see them throwing "code of hero" in there without screwing it up, for example? I can't, sorry.

I am perfectly happy with the Beast Wars we have already. 100% happy.

I say nay to the BW movie. :thumbdown 

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Frankly? I don't think that it could.

7. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i put some combiers in beastwars movie like [seacons, precons]

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This. There is no reason to even try IMO. There are absolutely no humans as we know them in the series. That said Andy Serkis would do a stellar job doing the motion capture for the protohumans.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Well, IMO the Bayverse has already left the door open for some version of Beast Wars, given how many of the Decepticons either have beast modes or have animal-like attributes, and also the fact that they've established Pretenders in the Bayverse as well. But how would I do it? Heh heh. Well...
    I'd set it in strictly and firmly in the future, 300 years after DOTM - NO time-travel - and the Maximals and Predacons wouldn't be native Cybertronians, either: rather, they'd be techno-organic hybrid clones given life from the salvaged Allspark shard from Megatron's chest and combining traits of the long-gone Autobots and Decepticons (thus explaining why the reptilian specimen resembles Megatron and the simian specimen resembles Optimus Prime...) as well as DNA salvaged from extinct animal species made manifest in Pretender-type synthetic skin, and created in a bid to salvage post-apocalyptic Earth's extinct animal species that goes sharply awry. Basically it'd be a dystopic sci-fi picture with Biblical parallels to the beasts inheriting the Earth, so that that way humans would still figure prominently into the picture.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The problem with a live-action Beast Wars is that if they did the characters realistically, they would look freaking disgusting. The half-organic/half-robotic stuff with odd tufts of hair here and there and seeing some of the innards during transformations would make some viewers vomit with their revolting grotesqueness. It's one of the few advantages of the primitive CG they had at the time they made the show.

11. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Pitch it as a talking animal, family movie. Hollywood eat's that shit up.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Since I don't think there's any way to touch the story of the TV series in a single movie, and no guarantee of sequels, I would go a completely different route. I'd set it in the near future, as implied in the pre-show toy packaging. As such, we'd need a new reason for the beast forms... maybe by this point everyone is already checking every vehicle possible for Transformer technology, so now they hide as animal forms which draw less suspicion. There would be a mix of urban and jungle settings, for sure.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Eh, if people can stomach stuff like the Saw films and so on, they can stomach anything.

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    You make it completely CG like every other talking animal CG movie =P

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No thanks.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given how far CGI has progressed, I don't think it would be technically difficult for them to have actual live-action animals transform into CGI robots. The main problem would be the same issue that the current live-action movies run into: That CGI is expensive. With the current movies, that expense is reduced by keeping a lot of focus on the human characters and using the TF sparingly. But, going with the setting of the BW cartoon, there are virtually no humans, so that's not really possible. So, not only would a live-action version probably not work very well, but probably isn't even feasible.

But, ignoring all of that, my pitch would be as such:

- Basic premise is similar to the cartoon: A rogue Predacon commander has obtained an artifact providing the location of a planet with rich sources of Energon and is pursued by a Maximal crew. During the pursuit, both ships are damaged during a transwarp jump and crash-land on said planet. I'd remove the time-travel aspect, since I think it's an unnecessary complication, and just have the planet in a remote uncharted region of space. Due to the high Energon levels on the planet, the characters have to take on the forms of indigenous species to avoid overload.

- Maximals - Optimus Primal, Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor and Airazor. Airazor starts off as a member of the crew to increase the number of characters a little and to give the Maximals a female team member. All characters have the same alternate modes as the cartoon. Tigatron would be added to the cast early in the second film, with he and Airazor merged into Tigerhawk by the end of that movie. Tigerhawk would join the main cast in the third film and be the only Fuzor.

- Predacons - Megatron, Tarantulas, Inferno, Waspinator, Blackarachnia, Rampage and Dinobot. In this version, Rampage starts off as a Predacon and is not initially a Transmetal. Dinobot defects early on in the first movie to join the Maximals and sacrifices his life during the third film.

- Scale - Similar approach to the cartoon in that characters do not mass shift and certain characters will have beast modes that are abnormally small (Megatron) or large (all arthropods, Rattrap).

- Plot - The plot line of the trilogy would focus on confrontations with the Vok and there would be no time travel or connections to any other TF series. The first film would borrow many elements from the first half of Season 1, particularly from the episodes "Beast Wars (pts 1-2)", "Chain of Command" and "The Trigger". The second movie would be more of a departure from the cartoon. The Vok Transmetal driver would be discovered, converting the cast to Transmetals (to sell toys), while the Metalhunter and Tigerhawk would be the main opponents, with Tigerhawk joining the Maximals by the end. The third movie would focus on the Planetkiller and both factions trying to either escape the planet or stop the device.

17. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

There's no point in making a live-action Beast Wars movie if there aren't any humans involved.

18. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    A live action movie have as much in common with the Beast Wars cartoon what the Bay Movie trilogy with the G1 cartoon.

Almost a completely different cast and those returning characters would be changed beyond recognition in appearance and personality.

Thats not how I'd want it, but its what would happen if one was made.

19. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Step One: Abandon the completely silly notion of a "live-action" Transformers movie. Because until we can build some kick-ass robots or actual Cybertronians show up from outer space looking to be movie stars, Transformers will not be live-action. Bayformers, for all of ILM's hard work, is still just "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". Transformers in fiction are cartoons, no matter how detailed the drawings.

20. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

That makes no goddamn sense.