How would you have edited DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

[EDIT 9/30/11 - I figured that I'd resurrect this thread with the recent release of the DVD/BR in the event that anyone with editing software wanted to post their fan edits.]

I'm not talking about adding completely new scenes or CGI animations, because I'm pretty sure we all would've wanted that. However, given what we already have, how would you have edited the movie as a fan? Keep in mind that you don't have the budget to film new scenes, add new CGI, and change the character dialogue.

1. Which scenes would you shorten or remove entirely?
    2. How would you fit the missing footage from the trailers?
    3. Would you have changed the order of certain scenes?
    4. What about the invasion sequence in Chicago?

I probably would've taken the shots of Simmons and Dutch (after Simmons was thrown from his vehicle) out of the highway sequence. I think the scene itself would flow better that way. I also would've removed the bus/parents scene after Sentinel's defection. I think it sort of ruins the effect that the betrayal scene was supposed to have.

2. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Wheeljack would live.

3. SparkamusPrime

SparkamusPrime Shark

Second.

4. Satomiblood

So, would you just remove the execution scene entirely? How would you make it work?

5. figsdad

figsdad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No keep the execution scene but replace que with the twins let them both die..

6. Satomiblood

That would require adding CGI... Part of the challenge is working with what we already have.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    The biggest thing I noticed was the short amount of time between Starscream's death scene and the captured Autobot scene. Bee rescued Sam and Lennox as they were falling, and then in a couple seconds he was captured with all the other Autobots. I know that they skip time in movies a lot, of course, but that didn't flow well at all IMO.

I can't remember what was between those scenes, but I think what I would have done is put the scene of the Wreckers rescuing Optimus there, and/or one of the scenes of Brain and Wheelie in the Con ship...

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The execution scene was a powerful and memorable moment in the film. It should stay, with all characters as they are.

One of the biggest editing jumps in the movie is the blackscreen to all-out invasion. I really hated that transition. None of the rest of the movie has it, and it's out of place.
    Unfortunately, fixing it would require more CGI and story.

9. Satomiblood

That's one of the other problems I had as well.

If it wasn't for the established locations being in DC and then Chicago, I would've based it all in one central location (perhaps a fictitious city not far from DC), used the DC invasion scene and combined it with the initial footage from Chicago. Even so, there would still be gaps.

10. Wheeljack94

Wheeljack94 Autobot Lycan

News Credits:
    -include the sentinal vs twins scene/death
    -include jolt in the movie and have him die instead of wheeljack
    -include the arcees (3) and have them die during the highway scene/fight/chase:bay 
    -shockwave speaks english
    -truce at the end with megs surviving, soundwave at his side, and starscream disagreeing and getting smacked for it.
    -shockwave injures optimus and others before he dies. (blasts off leadfoot's leg)
    -wheeljack snipes a protoform with that huge rifle on his back.:bay :bay 
    -optimus mentions ironhide before killing sentinal

11. Satomiblood

I think I need to be more clear in my first post.

12. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

I would shorten some of the parts with the humans so we could get more of the robots. I'd bring in the scene between Shockwave and Optimus at the beginning

13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    This isn't a "what would you add?" thread. It's a "how would you rearrange or trim what's already there?" thread.

14. Satomiblood

Would any of you shorten the Russian bar scene?

15. dino52

dino52 Well-Known Member

Hav less screen time on sam and bumblebee and focus mor on the other transformers

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I respectfully disagree. :)  I think that the editing of that sequence was powerful and the way they stitched it together only made it more dramatic.

*montage of cops and firemen enveloping the skyscraper*
    Sentinel: "It's time for the slaves of Earth to recognize their masters. Seal off the city."
    *cut to black, music stops*
    *cue destruction of stores*
    *cut to black*
    *cue destruction of entire city and dramatic music blares*

I just love that. Really made it seem like the city was under siege. And it harkened back to Laserbeak being ordered to begin the assassinations. "Laserbeak..." *cut to black* "...kill them all." "With pleasure." *montage of dead bodies and crime scenes*

17. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'd severely trim the job search/workplace scene, plus a lot of the early Simmons scenes. Those things really disrupted the pacing.

18. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that if the technique would have been used throughout the movie it would have been less awkward and more impactful. As I was watching it, I honestly for a second thought that the film had skipped.

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Did you get up and starting throwing your popcorn? ;) 

Then we shall agree to disagree, good sir. :)  Would've been interesting to see where else they could've used it, besides Soundwave ordering Laserbeak and Sentinel ordering the siege. Maybe when Sentinel attacks the NEST base? Picture this: He kills Ironhide, flees, drives up to the NEST hangar. Transforms and rises to his full height. Dramatic close-up of his face. *cut to black, silence* *Cut back to Sentinel just absolutely ****ing massacring the soldiers*. *cut back to black* *Cut back to Sentinel still absolutely wrecking the base*

20. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm actually in the planning stages of a "Fanedit" of Dark of the Moon. I've previously made a Fanedit of Transformers (07) and I'm currently working on Revenge of the Fallen. I'll post a list of my proposed changes as I get further along.

One thing for certain is that Carly won't be the reason Megatron gets off his ass and whips on Sentinel.