How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jourdo, May 17, 2007.

1. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    We just moved into a new house about 2 weeks ago. No problems, everything went without a hitch. We got all our money from the sale of our house fine (after some nagging on my end). Only problem, was we got TOO much money from the sale of our house.

One of the conditions of the new mortgage was that the lawyer was to pay off one of my student loans with the proceeds of the sale. He did not do that, and I had to do it myseslf running to the various banks (nat a big deal, but time I didn't really want to spend running around).

I paid the lawyer some "courier" fee to have the cheque sent to the bank, but this was never done. I was originally going to send him an invoice for my time, but decided to let things go as it was not worth my time.

Fast forward to yesterday. We get the final papers from the lawyer, and we still owe him another $800. He was supposed to take all his fees out of the proceeds and again did not. I have no problem paying him for the work he did, but it brings me back to the work he did not do. I was pissed getting a bill for something I thought had been paid already. So, now I want to send him that original invoice for the time I spent doing the job he was supposed to do.

What would you do? Pay the bill and walk away? Pay the bill, less my "courier" fee? Send a separate invoice to be a jerk? It is not really that big of a deal, but it is the fact he did not do what he was supposed to with the proceeds (even though I took care of it personally).

Is it worth it to be a bit of a jerk on this?

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Do you consider it wise to jerk around a lawyer in any regards when it comes to money?

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No, but said lawyer did not complete said job as directed by my mortgage company.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I hate lawyers. Dealing with them every day is a really big pain in the ass.

I would question why they did not take the 800 at the time that you received the proceeds of the home.

Beside there fees are never set in stone and if you raise that big of a stink, they may waive them (for reasons mentioned).

Thant being said, they did not comply with the banks terms, (to pay off the student loan) and all you would need to do is tell the bank, and as a result , the lawyer may lose all the business from the bank...that may be reason enough to give you waive the fee.

In any case, make sure you cause the lawyer as much pain as possible…they deserve every bit.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Why don't you just ask him about it? Even scummy lawyers are capable of making honest mistakes.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Call him and let him know you want some money knocked off your bill. Partial services rendered = partial payment.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    That's called being thorough. You're dealing in matters of law, with a lawyer. You're pretty much REQUIRED to do it.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd ask him what happened. Maybe he made a mistake. But if he's an ass, you'll probably end up having to pay him, since the only thing that usually keeps folks from pursuing those smaller debts is legal fees. Which don't really apply to him. Sucks, but there it is.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If asking for an adjustment to the invoice fails, offer him a free cleaning and when he's there, put him under and pick his pocket.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I couldn't hurt to mention it to him. He may work with you. I agree with Jux though in regards to screwing with a lawyer, I sure wouldn't stiff him.

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Nail on the coffin. Legal fees for you = mucho dinero, legal fees for him = his time.

I'd call him to see what happened and then decide. Hopefully he's a good guy, but last lawyer I dealt with was a complete ___hole. I guess I'd be an ___hole to if I went to lawschool and could only be a court appointed attorney.

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I'd try to meet the guy and talk to him face to face. He'll probably subtract what you owe or forget about the whole thing. i had something similar happen to me. My lawyer just apologized and erased the debt. This was very cool of her. She showed me a lot by doing that and I've kept her around close to five years now. Whenever I need legal advise she's the first one I talk to.