How would you fix the plot of ROTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nervol, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Nervol

Nervol Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Movie opening remains the same, but add the caveat of the Fallen being imprisoned by the other Primes on Cybertron, like the Prequel comics implied.

- Flash forward to Cybertron before the war and show Megatron sending the Fallen on his ship to chase after the Matrix, as shown in the prequel comic Defiance. The Fallen would explain that Megatron had freed him from the prison he was trapped on in Cybertron

- Everything up to the Forest fight is the same, except with the removal of some of the over the top humour

- Give the autobots more active roles, period. Get rid of the Government official trying to shut down Autobot operations.

- Trim down most of the trip to the Pyramids. Make it more straight to the point.

- Explain that the Primes were severly hurt after trapping Fallen, and use their last lifebreath to hide the Matrix of Leadership back on earth.

- Properly arrange the Contructicon fight so that there arent any doubles and Devastator is a last resort ennemy

- When the Fallen appears he defeats EVERYBODY and its clear no one can defeat him

- Optimus goes through what he does at the end, but there is a much more in depth fight against the Fallen

- Megatron betrays the Fallen and proclaims him as pathetic, originally hoping to gain power from him but ends up seeing him as a weakling now. Megatron leaves, leaving the Fallen to be destroyed by Optimus.

- A more elaborate ending showing all the Autobots coming together

- End the movie with Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave back on the Nemesis scheming their next plan.

Thoughts? I didnt even drastically change anything. I just added details from the comics that would make the make a heck of a lot more sense.

2. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I would fix first the history of the matrix and the 7 Primes.
    The Decepticons and the Autobots have been fighting for a long time over the matrix and over the AllSpark and all the Primes got killed during the war except for the Fallen and Optimus.
    I will get rid of the only a Prime can kill a Prime stuff bec. it is too magical or nonsense.
    The Primes hid the matrix on earth during the war before they got killed in the war.
    The AllSpark was lost in space during the war and landed on earth maybe bec. it was attracted to the matrix.
    The sun harvester is with the Fallen on the Nemesis and the Fallen brings the sun harvester to earth after the matrix had been located.

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:

Um...none of this has anything to do with changing the plot...why are so many people confusing DETAIL with PLOT?

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd put a lot more explosions in.

5. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Soundwave should land on Earth, and have Lazerbeak, as well as Ravage.

Delete Leo as a character.

Delete Skids and Mudflap, use more iconic Autobots as sidekicks, with less stupidity and more vital dialogue.

Make the DOWN-WITH-THE-AUTOBOTS minister less of a caricature (a lot less), and make him a more logical / likeable character.

Keep Alice a little longer, explain her origins.

Mikaela and Arcee develop a bond like that of Sam and Bumblebee. Arcee becomes Mikaela's bike and means of locomotion. (as a nice touch, add a chase scene where Arcee and Mikaela must evade Lazerbeak and Ravage).

Make battles longer, with bigger essense, rather than just blowing stuff up.

DETAIL: In the forest battle, Optimus and Megatron get locked in a grapple, and Starscream zooms in his visors (we see from his eyes) and targets Optimus' head, but for a few seconds shifts the target to Megatron's. Optimus pushes Megatron aside, and Starscream lowers his guns and waits / rejoins the battle.

Prime is not killed. He is severaly damaged, and the Autobots fight off Megatron and Starscream. Prime is still missing for the rest of the film, because he's been repaired by Ratchet.

John Turturo briefs Sam, but stays put and doesn't follow him.

Decepticons do not make a broadcast to CNN.

Jetfire doesn't have a cane (GOD).

Cops don't appear from nowhere.

The whole gather-everyone-for-the-final-battle scene is done with a FAR better structure. Add scenes with Soundwave disrupting their plans and organization.

The constructicons explain WHY they turn into devastator, or just ANNOUNCE the freaking ability.

Devastator takes on a team of Autobots, is destroyed in the end, but at least kills one of the non-core Autobots.

A repaired and upgraded Prime appears and enters the pyramid to fight Megatron and the Fallen.

Jetfire does not re-appear.

Inside the pyramid, the Fallen reveals to Prime and Megatron that he wants to destroy both Autobots and Decepticons with his new-found power and create a new T race, based on his image. Prime and Megatron team up to defeat him. During the comosion from the explosions, Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave retreat with whatever Decepticons that might've made it.

6. 420bot

420bot ******

"When the Fallen appears he defeats EVERYBODY and its clear no one can defeat him

Optimus goes through what he does at the end, but there is a much more in depth fight against the Fallen."

Pretty much that was my only real complaint with the film. After seeing it two times I liked it alot more the second helping, but still, the fallen should have been a way more intense super badass.
    Thus instead of Optimus blowing up the matrix in the harvester he should have ripped it out and used it to destroy this un stoppable character, pretty much a direct homage to sam killing megs in the first one only cool.

7. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I wouldn't. It was just fine.

8. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    No The Fallen. He was an afterthought, a throw in. He wasn't needed. He was pointless. He made Megatron pointless. Megatron was the boss, remember, including flashback scenes from the first movie. Oh, except for The Fallen. He was the boss, actually. And hey, way to show the prehistoric age without a single Beast Wars reference.

Sam's parents: about one minute of screen time. No pot brownie scene, because this isn't a Harold & Kumar movie, it's effing Transformers. And why exactly did we drop them into the pyramids at the end, magically?

Sam's douchey new roomate, excised from script.

The tender "I can't say I love you" subplot? Yeah, that can go. That's about as heartwarming as an episode of The Hills. I don't want to see stupid teenaged characters contrived, laughable romance dialogue in a movie about the war of giant robots from space, dig?

The plot should have been: Remaining Decepticons hatch a plan to raise Megatron. And it amounts to more than simply finding him, sticking some parts in him and wheeee, he's back. Make it a big deal, like The Decepticons searching for Galvatron in "Five Faces of Darkness", and give them something to do to bring him back. In fact, call him Galvatron. And have Galvatron lead his Decepticons in a revenge battle with Prime. Cut out 45 minutes of the painfully long run time (by eliminating the overuse of SLOWDOWN) and make a cleaner film.

The soldiers and every human character need much less screen time. It's called Transformers, not "Hell Yeah Marine Super Awesome War Movie Time With Beautiful People And Lots of Orange Tans Did You See The Super Awesome Party Bro?".

Oh yeah, and I eliminate Megan Fox from the script because I hate her stupid face. The end.

9. Huinkimusprime

Huinkimusprime Well-Known Member

Remove Alice completely and use this film to build tensions between U.S miltary and Autobots and also build the new characters up more along with giving more screen time to Ironhide and Ratchet who were a little M.I.A in this one.

Also remove the Fallen from the beginning so Megs isnt an apprentice to him. Instead Megs wants to unleash him and at the same time blow up the sun and harvest it for energon...would be kinda a packed deal sorta thing. But once Megs unleashed the Fallen he realizes that its a big mistake seeing he will not help Megs but simply has his own agenda and both Prime and Megs must take down the Fallen. After the Fallen is defeated Megs of course turns on Prime but loses and they have to retreat!

Also finally make the Twins more racist because the flim critics were complaining that they were not nearly racists enough!

Edit: Give more meaning to Meg's resurrection....was done a little to quickly!

10. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I forgot about Alice, and she needs to be excised as well.

11. AmazSpiderman1

AmazSpiderman1 Member

I agree with most of these posts. I think alot of these ideas were kind of our expectations, because they are so logical, and then you go into the movie and SUPRISE - it's incredibly illogical and sloppy. Like putting the clues together from trailers and such, we came up with better ideas than the ones used in the actual movie. But still, there are parts of this movie I loved, and I think it is salvagable but Michael Bay SERIOUSLY needs to remove 50% of the humor for the dvd. He won't, we know this, but someone should smack him and say "HEY! We defended these movies to all those critics, we went and saw them and poured our money into them, and in return what did you do? You put testicles on Devastator, one of our most beloved characters. Do us a favor, and get rid of that shot on the dvd, as well as the dogs humping and Wheelie humping. We'll gladly buy it, as well as go see Transformers 3."

12. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    One of the scenes I would edit is Alice. Barricade would be the Decepticon sent to capture sam, then Bumblebee takes him out once and for all, the battle would be a bit longer this time.

No Simmons scrotum

And lastly, have the constructicons have there robot modes and Devs combine mode, w/ great screen time and character development.

13. newguy

newguy i

It's good

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

How I'd fix it... (note: this is not just the plot, but the film itself, in the following post)

-More backstory to the opening sequence, more than just The Fallen squishing a guy with his foot. A real, hatred inducing moment where the audience says "Wow, what a son of a bitch."

-Fix the pacing. Speed up the unnecessary moments, and slow down, way down, some of the moments that just went way too fast and became incomprehensible.

-Remove Alice, altogether. Or at the very least, make the character a real human student who's being controlled by the Decepticons. This would also help explain how she could be so slutty and throw herself at Sam. I mean, how would a machine know how to turn on the slut factor? A human, under their control could use her own ..."feminine wiles" to ensnare Sam. As it stands, it's just silly and it was filler material.

-Tone down the content. The violence needed to come down a notch, the sexual content needed to be really watered down, and the language could've at the very least been trimmed to a word here or there. The same points made currently, could've been conveyed without going to the limit and beyond.

-Make Prime into the hero he's always been, not this execution style killer he's become. One of the key points of Optimus has always been that he could kill if absolutely necessary, but what made him a hero...a superhero, was that he chose justice and knew when to dole out the violent responses. This Prime killed Grindor by prying his head in two, smashing The Fallen's face into a pillar after beating him horrendously, etc.

-Give Sam's parents more screentime and better writing. They were the ONLY thing that saved the trainwreck of Sam meeting Leo. Their scenes at home were excellent. I laughed my ass off watching them and they made the movie better just by being in it.

-Shorten the film by at least 15-20 minutes, or at least fill the current running time with substance, not filler. Especially the kind of filler that becomes a guilty pleasure that makes you feel like you just ate an entire box of Twinkies all by your lonesome.

-The reveal to the world. I'd have given it more screen time, more impact, more depth. Not a couple of silly flashes that looked like a music video or a dazzling commercial, but a scary warning to the world with real proof of what's to come by sending in waves of Decepticons to devastate cities while The Fallen spoke, and to show the world's horror as he sends his minions. So much missed potential in that scene, really.

Beyond that, I did enjoy the film, and I found it to be much better than the first. It just has a few too many problems to call it perfect. If we had received TF07's Prime in ROTF, it would've helped it immensely. No, I'm not talking about the pansy receiving a beat down Prime, but a Prime with sensibility, human survival coming first, his willingness to sacrifice himself, but with the badassedness of the ROTF version, minus the executions and excessive violence.

15. ngnikolaos

Yeah, forgot about the "Prime The Barbarian" look.

Apparently, in Hollywood there's no middle ground. You're either an ass-kickee, or an ass-kicker.

16. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Get rid of the Fallen.

17. ngnikolaos

TF3 - Galvatron, anyone? Would make sense if they plan on giving us Unicron...

18. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    here's one major thing i'd change
    i'd replace the arcee triplets with the single arcee
    from there i'd cut the twins from having such a large role, and place sideswipe and arcee where they were
    sideswipe would be the charge-in-swords-first hothead character, too arrogant and overconfident for his own good(this was hinted at, wish it had gone further) kind of like G1 Hot Rod or Armada Hotshot
    arcee would be the mother/older sister figure. a veteran of the war, but very level headed. she and bumblebee act as guides for sideswipe.
    a running subplot would be sideswipe's development of maturity, and i'd place him in the forest battle somewhere, arriving just in time to maybe stop starscream from getting a killshot in on prime but not being able to stop megatron. guilt trip blah blah goes on to egypt as per normal, except sideswipe punches a wall in frustration for the big reveal

the twins i'd push back, still as comic relief, butu more in the background. have ironhide or ratchet making comments for the pair of them to grow up and stop acting like protoforms or something

also would throw in at some point bumblebee using the touch in his musical speech.

19. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

They have internet access remember? We all know what it's for.

I didn't like the way the Fallen was done either, just out of nowhere he's the guy in charge? It would have been better if he had been awakened when Optimus died and then overthrew Megatron.
    Less comedy and more filling in minor details, like where the hell Blackout came from. I assume they brought him back to life after Megatron, but that's just speculation.

20. ngnikolaos

I think that would work really well. The problem is that we have writers and directors that care more about the popcorn, rather than a good story told (and shown).