How would you feel if...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegatronSupporter, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

If say Transformers 3 was liked a lot by lots of movie critics with a fresh percentage rating on RT but you and a boat load of others hated it as much as ROTF or more than it? I ask this because surreal things still tend to happen from time to time,mind blowing things. Like what if it was so bad that it didn't do well at the box office and got waves of bad word of mouth?

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Hum, that is a really interesting question.

There is always some critic out there that I disagree with, but when you group enough of them together like with Rotten Tomatoes I tend to be fairly close to the general trend of a film.

Box office is totally meaningless to me as far as judging the quality of a film. All the box office really tells me is that a marketing team really did their job selling a film. I've seen films with a small box office that totally blew me away and I've seen huge box office films that were a total let down. Yea Avatar made enough money to buy several small nations but it's still not the best film I've ever seen.

I know every film isn't going to make everyone happy, but if Transformers 3 could say at least crack the 60% margin with critics and only left us with really little things only a fan would spot to nit pick over then I'd have to call that a pretty good day for the film franchise and going out on a pretty good note.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I wouldn't give a rat's ass.

A "good" film, to me, is one that, through effective & well-handled writing, dialogue and visual elements, transports me, the viewer, out of my box office seat and into the storytelling universe for an hour or so.

As a science fiction fan, I'm ready to accept a lot of generic sci-fi concepts for the purpose of getting the story from dramatic point A to dramatic point B, but if there are jarring elements of the film (narrative, characterization, plot evolution) that make me go "Now, waitaminute, that's kinda dumb," then I enjoy the movie less. The more that happens, the less I enjoy the film.

4. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Critics are a waste of time... i never bother listening to 'pro' critics... instead i listen to the ordinary fan reactions.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Not to attack your post, but you're never gonna get a single opinion, are you?

I really wouldn't know what to think with the first question... I don't see it happening... but I really don't know what I'd think.

As for the question of it bombing commercially and critically... I'd be utterly shocked. I'd really feel sorry for Hasbro and Dreamworks, and Paramount for wasting millions of dollars with the film if it sucked that bad. I'd also feel sorry for the actors I like - Kevin Dunn, Julie White, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, and John Turturro - for adding the horrible film to their credits roll.

Then I'd feel horrible for the voice actors too. Peter Cullen, Hugo Weaving, Frank Welker, and the rest of the crew don't deserve the flaming. I bet you LaBeef will try to pin some blame on them for a bad film.

It'd be a really hard thing to walk away from for the actors and VA's.

But ultimately, it'd be a real slap in the face, to show Bay he isn't God. He isn't the perfect film director, and his "masterpiece" of dog-humping and robot balls won't fly again. Cripple the bird's wings, to give Bay a taste of how much many people really resent him.

6. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    Don't really care.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to have to agree with Chopperface that fan opinion would be a really bad source. I mean how would you ever know what something was like based just on the fans. When Animated came out some fans applauded it as one of the greatest works in Transformers history while other fans called it the worst series in Transformers history.

I might not agree with all critics but at least I've got some ideas of what they are basing their opinions on to make it easy to agree or disagree with them. Fans it's far harder to know because we are a highly opinionated group who will defend or attack depending on if we got what we were looking for or not.

8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Only interested in the robots, screw the critics.