How would you do Cybertronian alt modes correctly?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Transformers have always amazed us with different kinds of alt modes which can range from old to modern to futuristic cars to animals real or fictional. However one type of alt mode often recieves mixed to negetive views and that's the Cybertronian modes. I can see how people are not happy at some of them because of how they looked and function but we should also bear in mind that this is also how the transformers looked on thier home planet. We don't like them lazly designed but we should'nt have them also look exactly like earth modes because that's also lazy not to mention messes up the point of the disguise element. So how would you design a cybertronian mode to look and function. How would you fix the issuses that these types of alt modes have?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    G1 Hardhead, G1 Roadblock (his big green vehicular Pretender shell, that is) and G1 Thunderwing have some of the best Cybertronian alt modes ever. They are alien in design, but still very recognizable as actual vehicles. Same goes for Classics Jetfire, Universe Cyclonus, Generations Thunderwing and WFC Bumblebee.

That's what makes a good Cybertronian alt mode - something that isn't little more than a folded up robot and something that isn't a '(insert vehicle name here) just because Hasbro says so'. I'm looking at you, ROTF Deluxe Soundwave and 2007 Movie Leader Megatron.

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I would give them the same basic shape and transformation scheme but make it more futuristic kibble. With animal tf's try to keep the transformation as similar as possible but diferrent enough to become a cybertronian vehicle.

Put it this way: If it can be kitbashed into this form that looks futuristic it works

4. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

It would be nice if they didn't look like vehicles. No cockpits, cabs, etc.

The alt modes on other planets can serve as disguise, but Cybertronian alt modes should be specialization. Like, they can transform into a large weapon while sacrificing mobility, or transforming into a more mobile form sacrificing offensive capability.

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Actually Jetfire's alt mode is more like an earth jet with fancy pieces on top of it but I get your point though!

6. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    If you are talking about Toy Jetfire but i think he's talking comic jetfire/cartoon skyfire

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

WFC and FOC pull off the idea quite nicely. The vehicles look solid and sturdy rather than just crumpled up robots. That's why I really want more toys of the designs.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Well, all versions, actually.

I'm pretty sure Jetfire's alt mode doesn't correspond to any Earth jet. It's an all-new design, futuristic enough to be deemed a starfighter from another world.

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    True I can see that but it does resemble an earth jet still.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. I love me some Cybertronian modes and WFC/FoC hit those notes perfectly.

11. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

They should be coherent and look like they're meant for whatever function the character's vehicle mode serves, but should obviously have been designed without concern for disguise or holding passengers. The WfC toys are some of the best examples of Cybertronian modes done right.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The attached picture summarizes my thoughts on the matter.

Attached Files:

13. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree with the votes for WFC/FOC, and also wish to throw a vote towards the Cybertronian forms from Animated.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The War Within designs.

Period.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The way WFC does them.

The movies have the worst kind of cybertronian modes. It's just a jumbled mess that's supposed to vaguely look like something. Even Prime has the same kind of alien jet Megatron turned into in the first movie, but it's way sleeker and has a defined shape to it.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'm looking at the only two cybertronian alt modes in the movies, both of Megatron's, and both are obviosu what they're supposed to be. You'd really have to be blind to not see that Megatron is a tank in ROTF. Granted his movie one alt mode is more abstract, but it's not a jumbled mess. It has large, solid wings, three distinguishable forward protrusions, and a clear engine section.

Classics Jetfire or Universe Cyclonus are probably the worst kind of Cybertronian alt modes ever, as they might as well be Earth vehicles. (Jetfire is clearly just supposed to be a futuristic jet) A Cybertronian alt mode shouldn't look like an actual vehicle to be driven. WFC did them best. They look like cars and trucks and jets, but obviously aren't.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I like The War Within designs. It redesigns familar characters while keeping them recognisable. Grimlock may not be a T-Rex but he's still recognisable as Grimlock in both modes.

And I don't think Jetfire and Cyclonus' alternate modes in Classics and Universe are supposed to be Cybertronian or Earth. More an between thing. Futuristic earth jets rather than alien jets.

18. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Remember that G1 Jetfire is a Robotech figure, thus actually IS a futuristic human jet.

19. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    All of your ideas are great and so right on the money though my favourite example is probably TFP Megatron's alt mode. It is based on the first movies mode true but TFP did it much better by making a cybertronian jet look cool and yet not lazly designed. You can see the top of the head but it's not glaring either.