How would you design movie Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    We know he's bad, so how will you make him? Personally, I think that the problem is that they think too much of him not having an Earth mode. All his toys do is move his limbs around. Now compared to Optimus Prime, you move a lot of things moving like his chest and his legs splits etc. They can apply the same thing to Megatron cant they? like parts can swivel onto his chest and his limbs can alter themselves upon transformation, instead of being an over grown legends class figure (in terms of simplicity)

What else do you think?

2. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

Where would you start, I mean it looks awful, would have to be totally fresh!

It would need at least some colour seperation, so it doesnt look like one big blob of silvery guff. More panels and armour kind of structure around his chest and arms, to make him bulky.

Oh and I dont know a massive cannon?

But the character is so poor in the films anyway, he deserves to look crap.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I would have just given him the ROTF design the first time around.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The crab-tank?

He should've just transformed into some kind of mobile, flying BFG from the start.

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I would focus the design more on cannons than blades as the movie designers seem to have made his armor and primary weapons have more heavy metal qualitys which are fine, but It does'nt look like he has the technology to wipe a city off the planet under his own power.

His whole body should glow as he charges a fusion cannon blast. Perhaps you can even see a energy core rotate and power it from the chest. He woud turn into a Cybertronian Jetfighter hybrid with the YF-23. In robot mode It would Have a large main gun on his right arm to channel all this energy into. (though it will be much smaller in proportion than the usual megatron cannon) and Two sets of guns on the shoulders and legs. Rows of Missile pods in the chest.

The toy pretty much has a spinning mech alive cog in the center, The switch below it, While a series of 8 light bands accelerate with chargeing noise. Then they pulsate Red Simultaneously with no sound. Then a cracking fireing noise. Red from the cannon led.

The four Smaller cannons on the shoulders and legs have "rapid fireing" clips of energy bolt missiles. Like g2 megatron's loaders only smaller.

These could also be deployed in vehicle mode as a attack mode.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would turn him into a midevil catapult made of wood, and have autobot insecticons eat him......then we could get a new bad guy :)  one that would have better movie toys. muahahh ahhahah

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I was actually referring to his toy, seeing that this is the toy discussion. Not his actual movie design.

8. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

Well. it seems to me that the mechanics used on Optimu Prime's CGI was applied the the toy form of the figure in the best possible way. Why can't they do that for Megatron. I like the design. Sure I wish Megs had an earth form, but what could it be. In the end its more important for Megatron to be menacing, but they could do a better job on the toy's alt mode. I love robot mode!

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scale the RotF Voyager toy up to Leader class, paint it silver and black and add a couple more pegs here and there to increase the stability a bit. Game, set, match.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Did you see the fine print on the box? I thought it was accurate:

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Give him a more G1-esque robot mode, and an altmode that's a proper vehicle.

G1 Thunderwing, for instance, has a Cybertronian jet as his altmode. But it's still instantly recognizable as a jet. You can hardly say the same for the original Movie Megatron's Cybertronian jet altmode.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Personally I think the biggest problem is the shade of gray. Used as a secondary colour it looks fine, but as the main colour it looks a bit plain. I'd personally go with a darker silver wash or gradient effect on the main areas, chest, helmet, shoulders etc to give it more definition.

13. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

For movie 1 Megs, I think it would be better if they'd done what they did with leader Prime - make it look like right in both modes, but give it a very different transformation scheme, that way they could ditch the transformation which put the legs under the wings. Whilst I can see them as engines, of sorts, they don't appear on the CGI model.

Ignoring the film as far as which bit is supposed to become which bit, they could almost make it similar to the classics / MP seeker transformation, except jet mode would have a much truncated nose and point the arms out to the front instead of keeping them by the sides. The front of the arms and fists could be hidden with an assembly similar to Cyb. leader Meg's hands or classics Cyclonus' legs, which folds around to bulk up the the biceps or become the fusion cannon in 'bot mode.

For RotF Megs, the leader mould was OK in terms of transformation. The big changes would be to add a hinge to the cannon arm, bulk up gimp arm (a little - it was smaller than cannon arm in the film) and ditch the electronics to make a more streamlined body. Add a bit of paint to the inner parts of the body to create some depth, and I think it would be OK.

14. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    Well. my ideas:

1- I would use a dcompletely different color. Maybe make it like the Premium Movie Megatron.

2- I would improve the robot mode as far as possible. Making the left arm not so skinny. In the movie he has a thin arm, but it doesn't look so small compared to the other arm.

3- I would try to recreate the tank mode as seen in the movie and not the METAL SLUG.

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    The only reason the RotF Optimus is so accurate is because the designers have had years to get to know the finer details of the design. Megatron has been something new every time, so they can't get as acclimated to it as Optimus.

16. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Honestly, I have no problem with the ROTF Leader mould as a mould. I just wish that they had painted the bloody thing. Give him a silvery colour with rust patches and I would be exstatic.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This thread is just so full of expert opinions and witty charm I thought I had stumbled into the movie forum.

This at least is trying to be civil and on-topic. Other than this I'd say it'd need more solidity in vehicle mode, like the Earth modes but still alien and abstract.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I think the toys are just designed way too simplistically. Based on modern engineering there should be no issue with designing a robot mode with GOOD articulation that transforms into an alien jet or tank without the limbs or head being seen. It seems like they put all their energy into making Optimus 'ZOMG as complex as possible!' and just decided 'eh, Megatron a bad guy, it can just lay down and put it's arms together.'

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yours is the least civil and most off-topic post in this thread. Everyone else is discussing the toy, critical or not. I suggest you stop bellyaching about others and get on topic.

20. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Depends actually. Which size class? Which movie version?

Personally, I like nearly all the ROTF Megatron toys, with the exception of the leader, he just needs an elbow joint in his right arm, and a better left arm. Hasbro's doing quite well this time around, and I'm looking forward to Movie 3 Megatron. :) 

However, I think the first movie Leader Megatron could be seriously improved on. Easier transformation by redesigning the jet-mode, and maybe add some articulation to him while you're at it. I have never gotten my Leader Megatron into alt-mode, and that seriously hampers the playability of the toy.