How would you change the robots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by vanylapep, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    More humanoid looking bots and less ****** looking one. But as long as it works in the movie then it doesn't bother me. At least they're not Animated style.

2. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Nobody said the current movie is perfect. There's quite a few things I would change too.

What I find ludicrous is him labelling people silly because they like the movie style and are not complaining about it. Its okay to have differing tastes, preferences and opinions. But its not okay when you proclaim "if you like that you're silly".

Whats even worse, he's suggesting that Starscream be augmented with red and blue tints. Now, I can't for the life of me imagine an air force F-22 Raptor be painted with red and blue tints, not unless the aircraft is part of the Thunderbirds acrobatic team. There is a reason air superiority fighters are painted drab grey.

It might be a nod to the cartoon era, but blue and red tints would be highly unrealistic.

3. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Sooo, you find his Starscream preferences, what? A bit silly, perhaps? :tongue:  ;)  Seriously though, there's always a comprimise in the color department. There's plenty of design styles that allow new colors not seen in alt mode to appear when in robot mode, after all.

And, yes, there were those that implied clearly a perfection to the movie franchise. The question of the topic was what would you change. If someone tells me they wouldn't change anything, then another person immediately agrees, then another, to me that says they see nothing needs changing, correct? Because that's what happened, and that's just the first page. Perhaps you didn't think things perfect, but others seemed to which is why his post came about in the first place.

Plus, liking one aspect, such as the design aesthetic of the new Transformers, leaves quite a bit else up for consideration. Actors, performances, script, music, time length, errors, focus of character, pace, camera angles, etc. And, to reiterate myself a bit, that was the point. There's such a list of things to consider for the '07 film (and any other continuity/media for TFs) that answering a question of 'what would you change' (which isn't asking 'what would make this not suck', it's asking what would you prefer for any single or multiple items to make it MORE to your liking) with a response that seems to be little more than an instant over-defense, as though every single possible criteria has been met with perfection does seem a bit, well, silly.

4. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your final paragraph would make more sense if you'd, well, punctuate it properly.

We need dogs in this movie. Is Benji still available?

5. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    The Fallen needs a deadly looking weapon bec. he supposedly killed all the other Primes except for Optimus.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well he got a satanic spear

7. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I did not say its silly, mainly because its his opinion and he's entitled to it.
    Main point being, people should be free to have opinions without other parties labelling or insulting them for liking certain things.

People are free to disagree, but that's as far as it should go. There shouldn't be any 'my way is right, yours is wrong' suppression of opinions. Hence, I merely pointed out that such colours would be unrealistic, without being judgemental about his preferences.

Even if people said they're perfectly happy with the franchise, they're entitled to feel that way. Who are we to say they're wrong if they can't find something they dislike?

Example, you see a beautiful woman, but with a few flaws. Other people see that same beautiful woman, but has no issue with those flaws and find her perfect. Are we to say they're wrong because they didn't take issue to those flaws which somehow bothers us?

8. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    The Fallen with a spear does not look like the kind of weapon that can kill all of the other Primes.

9. vanylapep

vanylapep Well-Known Member

I would change Rachet's 'pigeon shit' yellow color and give him the proper white. I don't know why they gave him the color they gave him (in '07).

As an overall thing, i would like to have the robots more distinguishable (or iconic caracteristics). Appart from Bumblebee and Optimus, i couldn't tell which robots was which when they're in robot mode. But i'll have to think on this to see how to adjust them.

10. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I would change them from alien robots to just being robots
    But that's just a personal preference

11. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Which is why you claimed him a Geewunner earlier? Look, I get it and agree 100% that people - no, not people - fellow fans should be absolutely free to voice their opinions on TF items without labels that insult. As I said I don't care for the label of fanboy and I'll go ahead and extend that now to Geewunner, Baylicker, Pokeformers-lover, and whatever else you got. After enduring the heart of crapflinging that occured at TFLive during the production and release of the '07 film, I'd love to see nothing more than fans be able to lay down an opinion on some aspect of Transformers either without them setting a label on someone else personally in the process or having one laid on them for their opinion. Perhaps Getter Rekka shouldn't have used the term 'fanboyism' to get his point across, but there's worse terms out there and I do still agree the idea all was flawless is silly (since we're running with that word).

Hey if an individual likes a TF continuity just fine that's no trouble at all, it's certainly how I feel about Transformers in general personally, yet the idea that something cannot be changed for the better, even if not especially something enjoyed already, is, again, silly. And again I'll say that if a person liked one thing about an item/aspect so much, or so many things about it so much, that the one flaw or more seemed small, insignificant its okay. But it doesn't negate the existence of said flaw. For one sort of example consistant with the material let's take the 'breakdown' scene from the '07 film with Sam, Mikaela and BB before they knew he was a robot. In that scene as Mikaela's walking away from the car with hood up and both doors open, Sam slams the hood, rushes straight to the driver's side, gets in and slams the door, the very next moment the car's shown with both doors closed. Now, feel free as a fan to say we can assume Sam closed it but we weren't shown, Bumblebee did it himself and Sam didn't notice, or blame it on Bay's editing style. Whatever the case it's something not perfect, something that could be bettered. So you point this out to movie fan and they say, "I still dig the movie, it doesn't bother me". And that's fine, one little mistake shouldn't be overwhelmingly detrimental to a person's enjoyment in life and personal interests/hobbies. Yet you ask this person, "Okay, but let's say you've got the reigns and can retroactively fix that, make the film better by not having that less than great thing there", and an instant answer to this easy hypothetical betterment is, "Nah, I wouldn't change it, it was awesome". That's not a bit brow-raising? Sometimes asking someone what they would change to better something is just that, a question as to how they would make something they obviously like a little better, not a crapfest on the entire thing (of which, I haven't seen in the topic - there's a lot of varying issues folks seem to have but the over-attacking insults that might claim the entire thing was wrong and bad don't seem present). I think that's what caught Getter Rekka's attention. It does seem to be instant & over-defending given the intent of the question. Well, at least what I took the intent to be. Perhaps I walked into a Bayformers bashing thread without realizing it. I've been trying to stay away from those. Figured this one was just for stating, now that the film continuity has been thoroughly established, personal preferences on wishful changes that would better the media while still respecting what's established as best could be.

Not at all, but now you're talking of a human being, where as before this was about media & merchandise intended for entertainment purposes. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a difference.

12. Getter Rekka

Getter Rekka Well-Known Member

I hate how the movie "fans" are so picky about things like this. They dish it out and then as soon as you "slip up" and mention something they jump on even more, they try to turn around the tables and make you look like the bad one.

13. Getter Rekka

Getter Rekka Well-Known Member

That's not ironic at all. What I'd prefer the movie to look like and thinking the movie designs are absolutely perfect and there's nothing I'd change about them are too totally different things. If someone prefers the way the movie looks to G1, that's fine. If someone thinks the movie, or G1 is absolutely perfect, they're being naive as hell.

One is preference, the other is being mindlessly uncritical. Everyone has specific tastes they deep down want to be catered to. There's no reason to feel ashamed of being that kind of "fanboy", but It'sWalky! and guys like him have made it unpopular. The kind of "fanboy" I dislike is the one that supports something to illogical extremes like this.

14. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Oh, definitely. But the key words there are deep down. There are lots of things in your head that do not merit an audience. (Starting a thread just to say "I'm going to see the movie you guys" is a relevant example.)

It's funny how much you complain about "opinion-pushing" (a self-servingly ambiguous term that raises the question of when, exactly, voicing an opinion crosses over into "pushing") when you're here now telling us that one HAS to have a problem with the robot designs or they're "mindless". I freely admit I have many complaints about the designs, but it seems awfully hypocritical of YOU (in particular!) to begrudge the few who don't.

15. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    For me at least, there's nothing wrong to be mindlessly uncritical. If he's happy with what he's got, and doesn't seek any changes, I do not see anything wrong with that.

16. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    That comment was meant as an ironical comparison, and not an accusation per se. It was meant to point out that its not entirely logical that one labels another as a Bay fanboy like its something wrong, while being a fanboy of something else himself.

17. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Well I could get into specifics, (say for Prime, more armour on his arms and upper body, no flames or mouth) but one example of what I'd do in a general sense is add more armour to the movie TFs. Long Haul and Sideswipe are more along the lines of how I hoped they'd all look in that respect.

18. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

more distinguished faces

19. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Changes (without seeing ROTF) I would have just made Skids and Mudflap Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. Seems like they shoulda been them, Sideswipe coulda kept his design, Streaker coulda been a Corvette, but the current model. I woulda dropped the role Sideswipe plays. I just can't see why Bay missed and opportunity for more awesome, the twins designs are cool, but another Sideswipe like design woulda been epic. I hope he drops the Twins to background and plays up Sideswipe and Sunstreaker in part 3.

Other change woulda been Screamers head. I like the overall bot, but Scream with no mouth, no smirk is kinda lame. Judging by the g1 repaint, they had a more seekeresque head and failed to use it. I wonder why. It just seems a bad move, with a more Starscream like head it would have been my favorite Screamer ever. I hope in part 3 they give him a head redesign and bring cracker and warp in as his wing men, and have the drones be the seekers... They were the drone army in g1 instead of the constucticons.

20. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Actually, I noticed his battlemask moving a little bit when he grabbed a hold of Megatron's head while saying 'They deserve to choose for themselves!' in the first movie during the final confrontation. It was barely noticeable, but I saw it for just a split second. I rewinded that scene twice and it became quite clear to me.

As for changes. Well, let's just say it's a whole different story for me. They could at least make Jetfire a little younger and have some kind of B-1 Lancer. He would be taller and more awsomer than his grandpa counterpart. He could even be cockier and overconfident like his Armada-self too.

Also, couldn't we have at least made Mudflap and Skids Sideswipe and Sunstreaker? I would prefer ROTF Sideswipe being Hot Rod or Tracks. I don't mind Herp and Derp, adding characters that adds comedy is perfect for kids and adults alike, but couldn't they at least make them the more like the infamous Lambo Twins?