How would people feel if Transformers was retconned from Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

The thing about Transformers is that every continuity that lasted for a decent amount of time fundamentally changed at one point or another. The third season of G1 was quite different from the first two seasons. The later Marvel Transformers comics were different from the earlier ones. The G2 comics had quite a different fictional universe from the G1 comics. Ditto to Regeneration One. Beast Machines was quite different from Beast Wars in many ways. RiD 2015 is quite disparate from Prime. If Animated as an ongoing continuity had lasted longer it likely would have changed drastically at some point or another. The movies are no different from other iterations of Transformers in that regard.

If you want my opinion, I think fictional universes should change a lot over time. Many people desire character development in films, but what about fictional universe development? That is at least as important, because characters usually change as a result of the fictional universes around them changing. Views of past events change over time, and sometimes people realize that what they once knew wasn't the whole story.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I actually want the cinematic universe keep going without a "reset". Sure, making cinematic universe is not easy. But I hope they could find a way to make future installments better and fresh. At least if they want to "reset" it, do it in the universe (example: space bridge malfunction in TF6 that erase all previous installments).

• Like Like x 1
  3. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

end the bayverse after tf6...then take a few years off & bring in people who know how to properly build an cu & not try & shoe horn it in 5 films into a universe's continuity with major players already dead..it's simple.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Or maybe make TF6 as "x men dofp" for the franchise. Like Megatron somehow travelled through a space bridge and killed Sam in 2007, thus creating a new timeline

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

That's actually a really good point, but I'm not willing to equate so cleanly to the examples you give. We haven't seen an incarnation of the franchise last for like 10 years without a significant reinterpretation, true, but we haven't seen the level of investment and promises by creators from a previous incarnation of the brand either. The big difference (at least as I see things) is that in the examples you gave, the 'new' media was aware of the stories that came before, and acknowledged them as they built on them in a new direction (barring a few exceptions, I'm looking at you, naturally occurring pulleys and gears) that don't really contradict what came before. With the films, it seems like every film sequel has been more or less unaware of whatever came before beyond broad strokes, or to not care, and that's unacceptable to me. Continuity is hard, and I get that, but I don't think its too much to ask from a project with hundreds of millions of dollars of funding. If it were an issue of changing tone or theme, rather than a shifting backstory, I'd have less of an issue (hell, I'd be onboard with those kinds of differences).

6. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

Well, the previous versions of Transformers didn't always build directly on previous stuff either. Take the origins of the Transformers in the G1 cartoon for instance. You have the Dinobots built on Earth in the first season with (seemingly) no Vector Sigma. Then in the second season the Aerialbots are given life by Vector Sigma. Then in the third season you learn about how the Quintessons built the Transformers as a race of slaves, only for Cybertronians to develop emotions, but Vector Sigma is never mentioned during the Quintesson origins. Keep in mind the Quintessons building Transformers and Vector Sigma do not contradict each other whatsoever; one is simply not mentioned with the other.

Now I do think that in general the movies are built more on things from the movies that directly proceed them rather than films don't directly proceed them. For instance, the Allspark shards, Megatron being on the bottom of the ocean, and the formation of NEST are things in RotF that are built on the previous film. Prime as the wielder of the Matrix of Leadership and a heavily injured, "hobo" Megatron in DotM are straight out of RotF. Megatron being a head, humans building their own Transformers, and the formation of Cemetery Wind are the outcomes from the third film's Chicago battle in the fourth film. Even though aspects of them contradict the predecessors, the fifth film does have things like Knights, a Creator(?), and Prime on his space journey as well as Starscream's head (which admittedly is back together again after being blown up in DotM).

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I want a big final sequel to TLK.
    It has to involve Mikaela and her having a kid getting involved with Cade's family Terminator 2 style.
    It has to center around Unicron and Quintessa.
    And there has to be a definitive end to the war.
    Then they have to start a new story.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mostly, they just need to change the tone and maybe make the good guys a lot less ruthless. Optimus could stop ripping off people's faces because of his experience in TLK. It's probably a good time to brighten the colors a bit as well. They're obviously OK with changing the designs every movie or two. More red on Prime to look closer to every previous model before the movies. (G2 notwithstanding) Let the Transformers actually be the stars, not just the reason why the humans need to go do stuff. They've mined the cartoon and comics for storybeats. Bits from Megatron's Master Plan were in DOTM. Man of Iron had some influence on TLK. Don't be afraid to adapt some story entirely. Also, don't mash two or three stories in a single script.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spider-Man is infinitely more popular and was rebooted twice already. James Bond was only rebooted after five decades. Both have been largely accepted by the audiences.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly it depends if this movie is legit great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Sure, why not?

12. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Re. continuity being so hard to do with the films:
    Why is this?
    It's only FIVE bloody stories! How hard can it be?