How would people feel if Transformers was retconned from Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    If the films going forward continued from here and rewrote events of the series.

2. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I'm on board. As long as we'll be getting more good Transformers movies, why not. But the only thing that will bother me is, all those build up for Unicron is a waste. Other than that, I'm on board

3. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I wouldn't be interested. I bet, general audience would not understand, what's happening.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Probably. I'd like to see things continue from TLK and then have the studio do better but I wouldn't put anything past Paramount.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd feel great about it. I got the feels seeing that new shot of Hailee and the Beetle, there's a simplicity there that appeals, a divestment from everything we've gotten so far. I was never fully on board with the Knight motif, so if they can scrub all that and start fresh, more power to them.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Wouldn't bother me since I just don't see the previous films as something so special that it just has to continue on. Given the box office numbers for the Last Knight you have to wonder if the general public is clamoring for Unicron.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No,just no.
    It's too bad to fix,let alone have two connected but seperate universes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I just want good movies.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

Using the Bumblebee movie as a new starting point would the best thing short of a complete reboot.
    Why stick with a continuity where nearly all of the fan favorites are dead, and it ends with The Last Knight?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Cautious Optimist

The charm of the previous films to me was how difficult it was to connect the events between films sometimes, i.e. the hella loose continuity. I liked speculating and connecting dots. For example, take the first three films. How the hell did they get the public and the media to hate what happened in Chicago but practically ignore what happened in Tranquility (or whatever the city in the first movie was called) and Egypt? You say bad writing, I say government conspiracy. :ev:  There are other things but they escape me right now.

This whole "Cinematic Universe" crap is getting old. Not every franchise needs a 100% cohesive universe. It works for Marvel because IT WAS BUILT THAT WAY. DC was not built for it. Same goes for that Universal monster movie universe. To my knowledge, they didn't particularly give a crap about continuity when Transformers products started coming out. What mattered were the toys; the fiction was there to sell toys. Retconning usually means they will try to keep a tighter grip on consistency, or the universe could become an even larger mess than before. It's a hit or miss.

In short, I don't care whether or not they "reboot" or "soft reboot" or whatever. Gimme good popcorn flicks and quality toys.

• Like Like x 2
  11. agent j 15

agent j 15 Unfuckwittable

Bad.

Like really bad.

I'm serious, if they're going to reboot, don't do it with Bumblebee. It's too similar. Same design, Sector 7 might be showing up... if they're gonna reboot, they need to 1. Wait a while, and 2. Go VERY different. I'm talking entirely new people behind AND in front of the camera. The problems with this franchise go beyond just bad writing, it's a sickeness within the above-the-line positions that are fucking it over. Nobody cares. They just want money.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Majestic Senzu

Agreed. I don't understand the "half-baked" reboots, as in: keep the same people behind the scenes, but "hey let's change the actors and plot points slightly, that'll work!".

Looking at you AOE...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

I think that's actually an easy one. Every enemy, alien combatant before Chicago was a Decepticon. In Chicago it was many dozens of Decepticons AND an Autobot, and an Autobot leader at that. That would change human attitudes toward Cybertronians as a whole quite dramatically I imagine.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of retconning any of the films from existence, so I'd say no. Let Transformers stay a part of the continuity.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NemesisPrime12

It's called "soft reboot". It gives something "fresh and new" but also serves as a sequel for previous ones

15. Majestic Senzu

I mean, I get what soft reboots are, I just don't like them. I don't understand how they make it "fresh and new" with the same people backstage. It's the same director, script writer, producers, etc...how do you make it "fresh and new" besides giving it a new coat of paint like AOE? It's just...lazy.

Damn, you got me! I couldn't think of any other examples, but I could be wrong regardless. I was pretty young when the first 3 movies came out, so maybe the "difficult connections between movies" was just dumb youth.

16. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

Yeah, plus Prime in DotM made it seem like Sentinel was someone they could trust.

Also, I wouldn't refer to any film as a "soft reboot." You're either a reboot or you're not. Age of Extinction was in the same continuity and created by the same production team, but it went in new directions, had new designs styles and aesthetics, and featured largely new characters. Sure, it also had similarities, but it had some differences, too. Fourth films in a lineup of traditional sequels are tough because they need to be both similar enough to interest previous fans but also different enough to interest fans who may not have previously been interested. It can be a tricky balancing act. I think the fourth film was simultaneously about as similar and different as it needed to be from the first three.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Majestic Senzu

Side note on that: Since Sentinel was an Autobot, I bet there were actual Autobots on that Moon ship or whatever with him that also sided with Megatron...meaning the Autobots of Earth were slaughtering their old comrades as well as Decepticons...oh boy. Didn't realize that until just now.

Anyways, reboot or not, I hope the Bumblebee movie does well. Excessive retconning can make people care less...and Transformers films hardly interests the general public now. (This statement is coming from personal experience and observation)

• Like Like x 3
  18. NemesisPrime12

Their comrades are scary looking autobots tho

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think a strong majority of the audience would care (see this thread as an example), but for my own opinion, I think its a pretty damning statement against the writing in these movies that they can't keep the story of their "cinematic universe" straight even at 6 movies and 10 years in without fundamentally changing things, when other similar franchises have been able to world-build effectively for decades across multiple media platforms without needing a reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Depends how good or bad it is.