How would Optimus Prime look if he opened up the Matrix

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thygriever, Sep 20, 2006.

1. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    I was always wondering what would happen if he opened the matrix. Or has he? I don't really remember unless he did it in some japanese series. Would he/ does he look really cool? Since he is the the strongest Autobot, I wonder how strong he'd be with the matrix. Must be crazy destructive~!

What was kinda weird with Rodimus was that i felt he kinda got the downside of the Matrix. He turned older and changed into a minivan. Wouldn't it be better to turn you younger and into a hotrod (which he already was)? =]

2. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

He did open it in the G1 series to cure the universe of the Hate Plague. It had no apparent affect on his outward appearance.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Wasn't Hot Rod transformed into Rodimus Prime before he opened the Matrix?

4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, I think you're right. But it he was in the whole process of opening it.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

In the movie adapstion he Transformes into Rodimus, or Optimus says "Arise Rodimus Prime." Kinda same time deal..

6. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

yeah it happened at the same time

7. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

In the War Within, Optronix changed when he was given the Matrix and became Optimus Prime. It seems like Matrix chosen leaders are granted new bodies and powers when they place the Matrix within themselves.

8. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

And it seems that they never regain their original bodies, with the excpetion of Hot Rod/Rodimus :horse: 

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's important to point out Hot Rod had *completely* transformed into Rodimus Prime before he even began the process of opening the Matrix.

My take on that has always been that the Matrix:
    a) knew it was time to release its power to stop Unicron, and
    b) knew that it was now in the possession of the chosen Autobot

Both of those criteria had to be satisfied (right time, right person). When Hot Rod caught the Matrix (when Prime dropped it at his death), there was clearly a reaction from it - but because the time wasn't right, the change did not take place.

So it's splitting hairs to a degree, but Hot Rod was not turned into Rodimus Prime as a result of opening the Matrix, but the change took place corresponding to the Matrix deciding to allow him to release its power and succeed to leadership of the Autobots.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I really wish we could see what Sentinel Prime looked like. I wonder what type of conversion the Matrix did on him. I think there was one panel in an old Marvel comic and his arm shows up in a panel of a DW comic. There is also a shot of him in FFOD that I like as a model for him - orange and periwinkle blue with ground vehicle more like a cybertronian tanker truck and a gruff voice.

Maybe the reason Rodimus reverts back & forth and Op doesn't has to do with his status of Chosen One as well as Prime.

11. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Nah, I think it depends on the status of the writer:

Is he drunk? :drunk 

Does he remember what he wrote?

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This whole Matrix thing is inconsistant.

Ultra Magnus never upgraded in the movie, yet Prime in War Within did... which made no sense.

IMO it only upgraded Hot Rod because he actually opened the damn thing. To everyone else its just a nice glowy necklace.

13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ultra Magnus was not the Chosen One. The Matrix clearly responded to Hot Rod when he caught it.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    One of the Marvel Comics letter columns said on the subject "Prime was already a veteran soldier at his peak. Rodders had to grow up."
    Now, that may not be continuity, but from the writer's point of view, you could take it as Rodimus Prime being what Hot Rod might become in a few centuries time on his own. The Matrix merely accelerated his evolution because he is the Chosen One, but he is not ready for it... yet. Presumably it was needed to keep the evolution or else Hot Rod would bounce back to where he ought to be. If you look at how the experience matures him, particularly by Headmasters, you can see he is (mentally) becoming Rodimus.

15. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

It wasn't the Matrix, he reached a high enough level to evolve... just like a Pokemon.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    oo I like that one

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I like that explaination too.

18. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Yep.... he becomes Rodimus Prime the second time he holds the Matrix, I believe. You hear "Arise Rodimus Prime" before he opens the damn thing. After he chucks Galvs out of Unicron, he says "Now, light our darkest hour" and then opens it, if memory serves me correctly.

The general idea, in the cartoon universe, is that the Matrix would only transform the chosen one, whose destiny it was to stop Unicron. That was Hot Rod. Optimus Prime was built to be the holder of the Matrix, and Ultra Magnus was just a little bitch

19. Colossus Prime

Colossus Prime Worshiping the Matrix

It always annoyed me that Optimus never reverted when he lost the Matrix. Sure when he was on his deathbed I was ok with it, but when he came back and they showed that Rodimus reverted when he lost the Matrix, that's what bothered me. At the time that all of that was written cartoons were just stuffed with plot holes because they were for kids and they/we don't pick up on that stuff as easily.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes....he grabbed the Matrix, became Rodimus Prime. Then it was shot out of his hand by Galvatron. After he defeated Galvy, he then opened it up to destroy Unicron. Rodimus Prime rose from the ranks just like Optimus said would happen.