Customs: How would I go about making a SG Ratchet?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Autobot Burnout, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hey, all, I was going through the TFWiki, and since I'm not in the loop in the OTFCC as much as some others, I was surprised to learn that SG Ratchet had been developed for use at the end of "Dungeons and Dinobots", complete with picture! And for the strangest reason, I want to make him.

That reason being he's possibly the closest thing to a Radicon in the actual TF cannon (be it the reversed one at that!). He likes modifying existing Transformers with things of...er, questionable taste to put it lightly, but minus the "questionable taste" part he's not that different from the likes of some of the more serious bashers and their creations. And It's inspired me to try and make him (plus, I do need more medics, even if they're the demented Dr. Frankenstien type, I'll just have him operate on my misbehaving normal Decepticons:lol ).

But here's where I run into problems: I don't know what I need to make him. I have three criteria I need to answer and obtain before I can work on this guy:

1. The Body: Energon Roadblock. According to the TFWiki, SG Ratchet is mostly drawn with the E. Roadblock body, which works for Ratchet. I'll work something out with the crane gun, but I need to aquire a complete body in order for my plan to be largley feaseable. I'm thinking eBay is my best option, even if I have to pay a price higher than what the toy originaly sold for. (EDIT: I have bought the body off of eBay. It's missing the left arm and the head, but is otherwise mostly intact and good for conversion!)

2. The Head. Obviously, E. Roadblock's head looks NOTHING LIKE Ratchet, much less SG Ratchet, who almost always has a michevous grin on his face from the pride he takes from his work. Now the question is do I try and heavily modify the existing head, or do I just try and make/aquire a better head for this project? I'm thinking the latter, as the grin is a must in order to sell the character, but I'll need to see my options after getting the body.

3. The Deco. The last and probably easiest of the three criteria. Outside of the Purple Cross on his right sholder and generaly White w/ red details, there is no other visible markings on the Evil Autobot. Since I don't have the first criteria (the body), I'm not quite sure how to go about designing the rest of the deco, but outside of what's already given and the fact he MUST have one Purple Autobot Logo, it's pretty loose for what I must adhere to in designing the deco (although it would appear the Purple Cross goes where Roadblock's Autobot symbol normaly is, so I may need to place the Purple Cross elsewhere)

Any advice or Criticisms anyone has of my "Deranged" planned project would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone could make me a digibash of SG Ratchet with the Roadblock body in full, I'd be much appreciative as my digibash skills suck.

Here's a link to the TFWiki article on SG Ratchet for those of you who don't have a clue as to who I'm talking about:Ratchet (Shattered Glass) - Transformers Wiki

2. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Although I don't know how Roadblock's body sizes up, Henkei Ratchet's head would be a good choice i think. The mouth could be modified by being sanded down and then adding apoxie sculpt or a similar material and making a new one I guess!
    As for decoration, don't reprolabels do ones to customer's specifications?

3. Autobot Burnout

I'd rather not behead a Henkei, those things are expensive enough as it is for me. A Universe Ratchet might work, though, just need to aquire two of them (one for my personal collection since I never found him at retail, the second I probably could take the head off and use the body for an Earth mode SG Soundwave...). Although looking at the Roadblock mold, it's one of those molds where the head doesn't actually go anywhere in alt. mode (the visor flips down and that's it). I could possibly try and engineer the head to fold somewhere out of sight by using the way the normal head is supposed to re-locate for forming an upper-body combined mode (which I'm debating on neutering or not, since the only other "in-continuity" Autobots he could merge with are Nightbeat and Thunderclash, but they're VERY hard to obtain...)

As for Reprolabels, they do make customer-specified labels, but you have to send in the designs in Adobe Illustrator format I think (I do not own that program), and it's a base cost of $50, which is out of the question for me since I'm on a budget.

4. Autobot Burnout

Okay, I MAY have figured out how to get the body, I found a relatively cheap E. Roadblock on eBay for $6.50 that's missing a few parts from the one working pic (no head, pretty sure the crane's main part is gone, the right arm somehow is where the missing left arm should go, and the brown skirt thingies are gone, too. There's also some visible paint wear, but since I'd be painting over it anyways that doesn't matter). I'll probably snag the broken figure, seing as how all the other listing for an E. Roadblock on eBay are complete, and are thus over $25 on average (plus I'd like to avoid destroying perfect figures like those anyways).

However, while I may have solved the majority of my body problem, I need to figure out how to aquire a compatible left arm for that figure should I get it. I have a buddy who says I can use his mostly complete E. Inferno for parts (E. Roadblock's arms are more or less the exact same), but if there's any way I could get a spare left arm from another Inferno or Roadblock, I'd like to know, as my buddy doesn't want to sacrifice his Inferno (he liked the character's role in the show, especialy the parts where his symbol turned into the Con logo) and I'd like to preserve the transformation of the junker roadblock if at all possible.