Customs: How Would a Mechwarrior/Transformers Cross-over Work?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Jul 19, 2009.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Jaf and I were talking the other day, and the subject of a Mechwarrior (Battle Tech) cross-over with Transformers came up. Now, I think that this is a rare case where the actual concept is likely the most logical one I've come across yet. In this universe, it's way in our future, and our technologies are dramatically advanced. Space travel, warp drives, Bi-pedal and quadruped Battle Mechs are the center of our ground-based weaponry.

I think that at least in this universe, mankind might could actually be a threat to be considered by a Transformer. Mankind could actually be a valuable and prized asset, to either faction. I think this is an interesting topic. My question is, if such a cross-over were to exist, obviously, you'd have to figure in how to handle it via toys.

Would people buy non-TFing Battle Mechs that were sold along-side actual Transformers? Or do you think they'd have to transform as well in order to be viable? Would any TF's disquise themselves as a "normal" Battle Mech? Would a toy of that be viable? Let's have some fun and discuss!

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think they should transform, I could most definitely see Ironhide taking advantage of Battle Mech alt modes. Decepticons would love it as well, and a Battle Mech alt mode Decepticon spy could wreak havoc on Earthly geo politics. Great idea, lots of avenues to go down. Hmmmm.....wanders off to drwing board.

3. REDLINE

News Credits:
    I think you're right. I just kind of have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a bipedal Transformer turning into a bipedal Mech. *L*

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neat idea. Sorta like how the Exo-Squad toyline released Robotech stuff.

5. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yeah. the cool part is, you'd still have TFs that turn into jets and tanks and watercraft and such.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Mechs could transform in surrounding terrain objects like rocks or whatever to be disguised, or feature alternative modes like M.A.S.K. vehicles had them...

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Do I smell a REDLINE and JAF collaboration?

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I actually discussed this with b_h a couple months back. My thought was to have a battlemech transform into a tank mode. I loves me some Mechwarrior/Battletech and have many of the miniatures all over my house.

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    sounds like you ought to join the TFW Mechwarrior group ;) 

I can see a reason for Mechs to transform into tanks; a much lower profile so they're harder to hit, plus an enemy could be tricked into thinking they had the upper-hand with all their mechs compared to a group of tanks, only get caught off-guard.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't think the concept would do well in the commercial market. However, I think it would work well conceptually for the reasons you've given. Ever since Dreamwave got ahold of the Transformers license to create comic books, TFs have had very "meched" out designs, and I certainly see that trend continuing.

11. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I'll look into that.

You see my point exactly. Mobility for mechs isn't an issue, but typically speed IS. Not to mention how evasive a sleek vehicle can be. Such as:

[​IMG]

What the hell, here are some of my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's not a drop in the bucket compared to the tubs of them that I have stored away in my closet. I hate to guess how many hundred 'mechs, hundreds of vehicles and thousands of infantry I have.

12. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

you guys are late, takara already did it!

13. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

apparently, bandai too!

14. REDLINE

News Credits:
    eh, that tank doesn't really count, it doesn't really gain anything by its "transformation" it's still just a tank, in both modes. BSVT: you know, we DO have a NON-TF section in the customs gallery. ;) 

SQ7- that's the very reason for this thread, is how would one go about it to MAKE it commercially viable. :)  Well, doing so could possibly lead to some customs ideas too, hehehe.

aurascope- I think if the front of that tank toy was modified to turn into legs, then you'd have a really good base for one of the possible ideas to implement.