How Will We Look Back On The Movie Toys In 5-10 Years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, May 3, 2011.

1. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Well TF prime took a heavy influence from the movies so this is possible that TF's could have the whole movies style aesthetic for a little while until someone else decides to bring back the cartoon-y look.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whether or not you like the design aesthetic of the movies, they churned out some pretty cool toys.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

Hah, I never thought about that. Good point:thumbs2: .

4. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think we'll have to wait a long time before these effects sort of kick in though. it's very true that movies like that are nearly eternal, especially when they resonate in a fan base such as this. Maybe you're very right. When the kids of today who grew up with bayformers become the crazy toy-buying crazies we are, then we'll see a spike in the interest of these things. heck, i suppose even I have some attachment to the bay movies, considering that it was the 2007 movie that brought me into transformers. That's why, to this day, I don't mind muscle car, mute bumblebee.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I believe Bumblebee's black stripes (and maybe OP's flames) are going to be with us a while, because that is the way kids recognize those characters. Look at Prime Bumblebee, for example. Or that recent Generations BB. And RTS G2 Prime.

6. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since I am a collector of mostly movie figures, I will want them to make more movies and more movie figures. Seriously, they are what got me back into collecting, and then I started collecting the generations and RTS and HFTD lines. I loved the robot modes and most of the alt modes.

7. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

it's been what? 4 years since the first movie, and i think they STINK. I don't own a single movie toy other than the camera, binoculars, and cellphone guys. i don't even know if they were part of the movie line or not.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why is that? It's been four years since 2007. Auto Morph asked about 5-10 years from now. In five years, it will have been nine years since movie 1, and the 11 year old kids who watched it in awe then will be 20 year olds with disposable income. It's the circle of life.

There's been a resurgence of interest in RiD. RiD, which is about as mundane as Transformers franchises get. That's ten years gone now.

Bumblebee's stripes around awhile? Try forever. The character basically didn't exist between 1994 and 2007. Movie Bumblebee is now a huge part of the character's DNA, if you will.

OP's flames...well they are already gone from Prime Optimus.

9. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

I am not fond of the Movie designs at all. I don't think time will change that for me. I do think that the movies were good for Transformers in general, in that they brought in new fans or brought back old fans.

10. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I hope BB being mute doesn't stick..

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    They're already meh to me, Leader Starscream excepted. Goodness knows how much my apathy for them will increase in a decade's time.

12. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    I hate them now, I'll hate them then.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    They'll always hold a special place in my black heart.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Looking back at just the RotF line, I can't help but notice just how vast and varied it is. So many different classes fully supported with loads of unique molds, ranging from bizarre unicycle-bots to TFs so "classic" looking some people don't even regard them as movie line. And excellent engineering all around, although actual transformation is often complex.

With so much physical product sold recently, I'd imagine value would stay low for a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if their complexity eventually cause the toys to break often, which, combined with today's kids growing up and tossing theirs, would raise the value.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I kind of wonder if movie toys in general will be looked at fondly in a few years or if people will have a negative opinion of them because too many movie lines just phoned in bad toys for a quick buck. Just seems like the impressive figures for something like Marvel don't come from things like the Wolverine line but from the Marvel Universe line of non-movie toys. With such a flood of toys for every big Hollywood film it seems like the rare factor is never going to be there.

Plus aren't we kind of making a bit of an assumption that nothing else is going to come out between now and when nostalgia should set in. It's possible we could get a cartoon, animated movie, or live action reboot that is so cool that it could be like when The Dark Knight made Batman fans forget all about Batman and Robin.

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All anyone here can make is an educated guess. What you say is possible (for all we know, the Movieverse could grow "stale" in consumers' eyes quickly and Hasbro has to change course completely, and THAT new direction ends up creating more nostalgia than the Movieverse)...but did Batman and Robin toys sell anywhere near well enough to compare to the Movieverse Transformers as Hasbro's cash cow? I'm literally asking since I wasn't buying toys then and don't know if those flew off the shelves in spite of a universally panned film.

17. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

they're fugly. my disappointment from tftm voyager ironhide still lingers even after four years. leader class ironhide would look nice on my display though.

but 5-10 years from now, i think its uniqueness can change peoples views, including my own. it strays from the mainstream japanese big robot influences. the HA line would be a perfect example of it. also the leader class ones. noideaforaname is right on the money with the variety of alt modes and robot modes. i'd probably kick myself for not picking up some of em.