How Will We Look Back On The Movie Toys In 5-10 Years?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, May 3, 2011.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Movie toys, some love them, some really fucking hate them. Others will always probably be a bit meh.

But if you consider that the first figures were released back in 2007 and the DotM lines will probably start to gradually fade from the shelves around early 2013, my question is this: How do you think the fandom will look back at almost 6 years of toys which, whatever your opinion personally, changed the way we look at Transformers figures?

Before the movie series, we had never seen a robot with thousands of moving parts represented in toy form. We had never seen more (for want of a better word) 'alien' looking Transformers.

Will they be highly sought after collectors items like classics, or will they fade into obscurity along with the likes of some portions of the Unicron trilogy or RiD?

Will the aesthetic remain a part of the design of future figures, especially as a whole generation of young children have now grown up with these robots and this will be 'their G1' in many respects. Can Hasbro afford to abandon this established style?

I think once we've had a chance to take a breather from the almost constant barrage of the live action movies, we might look on them with a different perspective. Maybe?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of both movie lovers and haters :D  :thumbs2: 

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Used to like them before we got 42 Bumblebee and 37 Primes.

Not anymore.

3. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll see them as really cheap stuff on Ebay.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Speaking as a movie fan, I think it's important that the Fandom realize these movie toys did change the way Transformers are done. I think some of the toys will be sought after once they leave the shelves, but the majority of them will be rather easy to find on Evilbay and the Junkion Exchange. With all that being said, I can't wait till those fucking things are off the shelves and we get something different.

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Huh, and that's coming from a movie fan! Actually I am one too, but I hear where you are coming from. I just think that not only did the style and design of movie figure plateau with RotF, but it was such massive overkill in terms of distribution. Those damn things were EVERYWHERE! I guess even if you were a fan of the actual figures, you eventually grew so tired of seeing the same ones every time you went into a store that somewhere along the line, the love just died... :( 

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Like most lines, some will be praised (ROTF optimus), some will be condemned (Mudflaps_)

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In 5 to 10 years I will see the people who slandered them bidding for them on ebay.

8. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I like them ok but do not collect them anymore but the main characters from the first one. The movie toys could be the G1 toys in 20 years to kids now who grow up and decide to get back into collecting Transformers.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, you'll see college kids and guys in their 20s who couldn't afford shit at retail when they were nine bidding on them on eBay.

10. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    And that's really a big question mark. Us 80s kids have thus far been an anomaly in regards to our continued purchasing of toys. I haven't seen any evidence thus far that 70s or 90s franchises have really had any major pushes for nostalgia like the 80s franchises.

So while I agree that if there is still a collector market in another 20 years, sure, movie could be a bit more "fondly remembered".

11. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

They're going to end up like Spawn toys: Bought up in droves, but after 10 years become completely worthless.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't buy toys to resell them, I buy them to keep for as long as I can. I'll look back on the movie line fondly, remembering the advancements and unique styles they introduced and expanded on.

13. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    ...as the toys that brought Transformers back on the big map and designing the franchise outside of the BOX.

14. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    i think in that amount of time, most of the loose ones not owned by collectors will either br broken, or missing parts. Considering how many movie toys ive seen returnd to stores half transformers because they were too hard etc, i cant see many being kept well over time. Most are frustrating, fiddly, loose, or just have too many pop-off parts to survive very long.

15. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    In 5 to 10 years I will think about the movie toys as much as I do now, which is not at all. I can't stand the movie aesthetic. TF Prime dialed the crazy back a bit and is overall much better.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

As fantastisc and awesome toys wich had a great level of detail and engineering.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Either way, they're still gonna sell. It's a fact.

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I think the movie design will have an aestetic that remains for a time to come on some of the main characters. Yes Prime has quite a bit of the original G1 feel to him, but I think some of the updates such as flames, etc will carry over into the future. I don't follow Prime too much (not sure if it is an partial extension of movie lore), but the few pics I have looked at seem to carry forward some of the traits on BB and Optimus.

The movie brought Transformers into a whole new galaxy where Transformers are a huge staple in almost every kids toybin once again, like when I was a kid. Many kids now growing up will probably relate these incarnations with the characters, and their childhood.

I doubt the line as a whole will hold as much value on ebay, just because of sheer production numbers, and the amount of MISB buyers these days, but they will definately carry some charm (atleast for me) when they are out of retail. It is far from my favorite line, but they have some gems, and make a nice display like many other lines. I will not be selling my on-screen characters, and they will be displayed like any other transformers series.

Much like Beastie fans say that we would not have the articulation we do today, I don't think us classics fans would have gotten nearly as much goodness as we have gotten had it not been for the success of the movie (both from resource availability, and the amount of 30 year olds it brought back to the market).

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I have many TFs that are 10-year old or more and I still think they're awesome. Animated ended a while ago and they're awesome too. Moviebots I like today are likely to remain awesome tomorrow.

20. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

The first movie i got all of the on screen toys...a year later.I'm like WTF and gave them all to my son.I haven't got another movie toys since.Maybe this is why tranformer shows rarly go past a 2nd season...fans just get tired of said style.