How Will Transformers Prime Be Remembered?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by UTF, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    If it is, I'm not even going to bother watching it after the first few episodes. Animated kept me a Transformer fans, TFP kicked me in the gut, anything worst will drive me out for sure.

2. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Minimondomayhem

News Credits:
    Jetbolt, so what did Animated do so right and Prime do so wrong for you? Edit: sorry if you said a thousand times...

3. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    This is ironic, since every time I look at Tarn I think of Prime Soundwave.

I lost some respect for you with that last sentence.

4. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Wait, is there really a show about a girl transforming into a boy?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me these days....

5. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Other way around I believe. The boy becomes a girl. I'm hoping it'll go the way of Allen Gregory.

6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Prime will be remember the only Transformers series that gives more Versions of Energon,Cast Big Name Stars and Well-Know Voice Actors, & Being Old Transformers Mythos into light.

7. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have a concise measurement of the popularity of Prime compared to the other series. But it is okay in my books. But nothing ground breaking.

And I say nothing ground breaking is due to the number of other cartoons that have begun using computer graphics from Clone Wars, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc. It also has a lot of competitors from other fields as well from films and video games, all the while draining interest in the show(Many of which have remarkable animation of their own).

Beast Wars on the other hand if I remember correctly appeared during a time when the only other cg show I remember is Reboot which was done by the same animation company.

In terms of storytelling I see it as just about average. It's okay, but not really remarkable when compared with other shows such as Gurren Lagann, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Thundercats, Tiger and Bunny, Gundam 00 and a managerie of other shows that popped out during the same time frame.

In terms of age rating playing a part in helping it become the main focus of its viewers, young children; I don't think it would be enough. There seems to be less supervision now a days of what children get to watch.

What Are the Most Dangerous Shows Your Kids Are Watching Without You? | Fox News
    THE INFLUENCE OF TELEVISION VIEWING ON PRESCHOOLERS

I also have to consider how many people even have the Hub. Or how widespread has the television series become. Hub doesn't seem to be part of the normal cable package; which could limit it's dispersal. Furthermore, it may have jumped in during a time of gradual viewer deterioraton. According to some sources, people are now more concerned about their internet rather that their cable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-why-audience-ratings-have-collapsed-for-cable-tv-shows-2012-5

And as much as Prime may try to ride on the popularity if the films it can also backfire on it; meaning that people will remember the films instead of Prime itself. The film/films may overshadow Prime and when moderately interested people see Prime they may just disregard it as another copy of the films. How long until Prime's merchandise are pulled off the shelves to be replaced by those of the coming film/films?

All in all, I think history will see Prime as an average show. Although it may gain a niche fanbase if it hasn't already.

As for Hub's gender bending show. It may be new for some viewers, but I think it's pretty common in anime in the gender bender genre. On the top of my head there's Ranma 1/2.

I don't find it that new or game changing since I don't consider the character the first Transexual superhero considering there's the comic book hero Zsazsa Zaturnnah that was written many years ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zsazsa_Zaturnnah

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm not sure it's fair to compaire Prime to some anime shows like Gundam 00 and Gurran Laggan since shows like that tend to aim more towards adult audiances. If we're going to compaire it to children's anime like Digimon then sure. As for the animation well sure it's not groundbreaking but then again neither are shows like TMNT,and Clone Wars have any special anmation today like you said.

And maybe the story isn't all special but at the same time I don't find some story elements of shows like TMNT,Thundercats,and Clone Wars to be amazing as well. And you do have to give it credit for going into some pretty dark terrortory at times which not a lot of shows can do as well as having things in it that help stand out in both the fandom and with some general audiances

However you do bring up a good point about Prime possibly being overshadowed by the movies but then again the movies arguably have a much larger range to go around and to be fair I think the movies do overshadow a lot of the other TF series too other then G1 for a lot of people who aren't in the fandom. That's pretty much my thoughts on it.

And I have to honest that I find a show about a boy turning into a superheronie would be shown at a family station like the Hub given the idea of the concept would likely raise concenred parents about it.

9. Starhawk

Starhawk Well-Known Member

I will always remember Transformers Prime as the show that really brought me into Transformers. Sure, I watched a ton of Cybertron and loved it when I was in middle school. But then it suddenly switched channels and I never saw any of it again. The movies' crude humor was off putting, as was the lack of time with the Transformers themselves.

As an entrance point into the 'fandom', I think it's outstanding. It definitely brings in some of the best of everything I've now taken the time to consume and makes you hungry to go look for the rest.

So I'll remember it as a show that offered a glimpse into the magnificent and multifaceted multiverse that is this franchise.

Because of it, I ended up learning so much more about the Transformers franchise - do you have any idea how confused I was as to where the Cybertron cast was when I saw the live action films? - and it has truly become one of my favorite things in existence. I adore the characters, and even if one incarnation is lacking substance, there's another 4 that also develop that character's overall meta-personality and style.

From the show itself, I'll remember the outstanding visuals and characters. Optimus Prime and Megatron and all of their history, certainly. Ratchet, Wheeljack and Arcee as well. There's no one I truly disliked in this show - as it went on, I've even come to appreciate Miko.

I'll just cut myself off from my essay now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:

If it's no different from the rest then people will use other variables to dicate what they will watch or get as part of their tv package. Thundercats, Clone Wars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are readily available in Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. These are readily available cable channels. And their shows are purchased by many other foreign channels due to longstanding relations and trust.

I wouldn't stack things in Prime's favour with only these.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Let's see, for one the Animated Autobots had to become better to beat Decepticons in battle. It wasn't like with Prime when one Autobot can pretty much take out fifty plus Vehicons.

All the Autobots had faults and yet grew as characters. Optimus was basically a nobody that became a hero at the end. Which I'll forever like more than the near perfect portrayal of TFP and the useless speeches.

Animated didn't waste a season dedicated for seek and finds. Instead it just gave rich and strong stories and made the characters better. Even someone like Lockdown, a minor character could be a huge factor in the overall story. Yet with TFP, remember Seaspray? The one that was killed by Dreadwing and enraged Wheeljack? That was ultimately for nothing as the two really didn't have a rivalry after that episode. Remember that past history between Breakdown and Bulkhead? Neither do I as it was never explored upon.

But Animated covered the past history of Optimus, Prowl, Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Ratchet, Arcee, Sentinel Prime, Ultra Magnus, Lockdown, Blackarachina, Wasp, Omega Supreme, and Shockwave.

On the Decepticon side, they were far more interesting. Megatron killed Starscream on the spot after he singlehandedly crushed the Autobots, after getting a body again. Plus extremely charismatic and a step a head of his enemies. Blitzwing had multiple personality disorder. Lugnut was a powerful Megatron worshipper. Blackarachina was a tragic character. Starscream had Megatron out of action for fifty years and built his own army up after being revived by the allspark. Lockdown was a skilled bounty hunter and a fallen student of Yoketron.

That's why Animated is better, the staff put their soul into the series. Animated was more than a tv show, it was a work of art. Something that I wish TFP had inspired to be.

12. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I wasn't trying to. I was just saying that there are things in those shows that I don't find all that amazing that's all. That was probably Hasbro's fault for not making the Hub being readly avalible.

13. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I have to disagree with you on the part of the Decepticons being interesting. With the exception of Starscream, the Animated Cons just didn't do enough to be called more than incidental. Heck they barely felt like a presence during the series. While that might have helped with the villain decay they suffered in G1, they did lack kich beyond initial characterization. They might as well have been just a random group of aggressive Cybertronians, particularly given the attention they garnered. And what do you mean Animated didn't waste a season on relic hunt? The whole first season centered on getting the allspark fragments. Heck even Megatron's killing of Starscream was rather pointless considering he was alive and kicking quite soon afterward. Seems like the writers were more into doing a particularly macabre form of fanservice for all those people who wanted to see Megs kill Screamer, but without risking the character.

14. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    I'll remember this show for having movie Starscream's face as TFP Starscream's chest.

15. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think the show and toys are pretty great, even the bad ones look good when all together.

[​IMG]

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Except for Blackarachnia,Lockdown,Swindle,Shockwave,Waspinator and to some extent the Contructicons I do agree with you on the Decepticons though Megatron does have a charm without a doubt not to mention they're all highly entertaining to watch. :lol  I should mention that the reason why not a lot of people get on Animated for the spark hunt in the first season that it didn't take up space for character development.

17. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

It's too early to say as the series isn't over yet.

As it is right now I look at it as a lot of squandered potential. Tightening up the ship here and there would've done the show a lot of good; it's kind of annoying that the show is near the end and some semblance of a stride is showing up just now.

18. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than what was written, TFP will be remembered by the lengthy breaks, dark energon, unicron, and predaking.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It'll be remembered as a series even the people that didn't like it kept watching.

To me it'll be remembered as a rather middling show with a few highlights here and there, most notably Knock Out.
    I think the difference was that the Allspark fragments caused some interesting problems through their effects and/or brought new characters into the show. Whereas the relic hunts of TFP were mostly just the regular team of characters looking for the items. In Animated the hunt wasn't often the main part/highlight of the episode while TFP made just the looking for and fighting over an item the focus. It shouldn't be just about the basic hunt.

Digging up some old weapon just wasn't as engaging to me as an Allspark fragment bringing Wreck-Gar or the Constructicons to life and the problems those things caused at the time and other episodes down the line.
    Perhaps if the relics had some kind of residual effect on the surrounding areas they were buried in it might've been more interesting as a kind of mystery to solve. Perhaps there's a town of what seems like ghosts as people and buildings can be passed through, but then later the Phase-Shifter is discovered to be the cause of the problem. Or animals are being weird and rampaging and we later discover it's the sonic weapon affecting the sensitive hearing of the surrounding beasts. So you could still have your relic hunt and fights over getting it, but there would also be an extra dimension added to the episode too. It would be almost like a Transformers version of Warehouse 13.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Is that Bulkhead I see in the background with all these Decepticons? It is! Gosh, that treacherous sucker! :lol 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.