How Will the Movie Trilogy Age?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

We've all seen movies once legendary in their awesomeness age badly, for example Batman (1989) and Terminator 2. We have also all seen movies ill received acquire cult followings and eventual widespread praise, in examples too numerous to count. Of course, there are plenty of movies that were bad when they came out and are still considered bad no matter how many years go by, and movies that won hearts and minds upon their release and remain well-thought of.

My question is, as these movies will go down in history as a trilogy of progressively bigger blockbuster movies, how will this movie collection age?

My personal feeling is that fan rage dies quickly and is cast aside as the obscure, biased rambling that it really is. That pompous, slobbering geriatric critics will croak soon enough. And that the keepers of the legacy of these movies will be the people who saw it and fell in love with the Transformers brand. Just as many of us were children when exposed to G1 and were willing to overlook its myriad flaws, the flaws of the films will be ignored by the fans who were swept up in the fascinating world of the Autobots and Decepticons when one or more of these three films became their ticket into it.

So, I am banking that it will age well. Thoughts?

2. jle1076

jle1076 Well-Known Member

lol these Transformers Movies revolutionized CGI Animation and what could be done. they cannot be compared to those movies

3. jle1076

I still get goosebumps when i watch the first movie

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

The CGI will look silly in a few years, the 3D in DOTM will more than likely be the same. That's just how it is with growing technology.
    As for the legacy, I guess it'll be seen as a saving grace for the franchise, and the most successful thing to happen to Transformers. The toys will probably be revered as some of the most complex ever.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The thing that makes the CGI special is the complexity of what it accomplishes. Real-world believable transforming robots with thousands of tiny shifting parts. What other movie franchise will attempt this, thereby making this CGI look silly, and why? Unless, of course, it's a reboot.

Secondly, there is a threshold of realism that once reached, the human eye is incapable of differentiating.

6. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

From a Technological point of view CGI ages like milk, give it ten years and the movies may be only barely watchable. But these movies (and avatar) did push the technical barrier for sheer amount of detail put into them, so yes this is gonna be some kids G1 experience along. but unless lucas decides to remake the original star wars there isn't going to be a bigger increase in technology any time soon.

7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they're going to be appreciated a lot more down the road. Maybe not each of the three films, but as a whole. IMO, Transformers 1 was superbly entertaining and revitalized my interest after the Unicron Trilogy ended. The pure spectacle of the movie really makes it fun to watch, coupled of course with the absolute best CGI work at the time. ROTF may not have been quite as wholly enjoyable and satisfying but if TF3 can return to the saga's roots, I think the trilogy together will be held in pretty respectable regard.

8. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Terminator 2 has not aged badly.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

To me, the first will always be a complete classic for the way it build up the universe of Transformers on the big screen, like the way they introduced Optimus, the way they explained how they speak english and the absolutely GENIUS part of all modern technolgy being inspired in the Transformers, and most importantly, how a live-action movie made a history about cars who turn into GIANT FREAKING ROBOTS beliavable.

Seriously, just think how STUPID a movie about giant freaking robots who turn themselves into cars could have been, instead we got a pretty interesting movie who explored the Transformes mythology, that's one hell of an acomplishment.

The first is a film to be analyzed like a Indiana Jones movie for it sheer fun and entertaining story and action scenes for generations to come.

The Second will be a summer blockbuster as always, the lesser of the films, but funny nonetheless, I think that it will be seen in the future as the "Matrix Reloaded"/"Jurasic Park 2" of the franchise: The Sequel that could have been awesome but sucked, a movie to be ignored and pretend that never existed [although I enjoyed the movie but whataver].

The Third..well..if it sucks, Transformers will be seen as "The Matrix" trilogy on the future: First one is awesome, the two sequels sucks, never watch them.
    If it's good, the Transformers live action franshise will be seen as a "Mission Imposible"-esque trilogy [first one is awesome, second sucks, third is awesome again and redeems the franchise].

Nonetheless, the franchise won't be forgotten quickly, that's for sure.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The first Batman movie has not aged badly - most of the people I know who went and saw it back in the summer of 1989 still enjoy it. It had some great perfomances from Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton, and should be considered as one of the top three Batman movies.

I don't know that the Transformers trilogy of movies will necessarily age well - they are basically constructed as summer blockbusters, which are not always notable for standing the test of time. I think the first movie may be remembered for some time, but time will tell. The second movie - not so much. We'll see in July how good Dark of the Moon is.

11. PredaconX

PredaconX Decepticon Combiner

Very well said Shadow, i feel exactly the same.

The first movie def is something i can watch over and over.

Now even though ROTF failed in alot of ways i think DOTM will solidify the series and bring it to a successful trilogy.

I dont think the trilogy will be forgotten anytime soon at all, but i also hope whomever takes the reins after Bay will continue to do the franchise justice.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It depends a lot on how well future Transformers movies stack up.

We could get something so impressive that it makes these current movies look like total jokes, or we could get something so much worse it makes us long for the 'good old days'.

I don't think Batman or T2 have aged so badly. Sure they've been topped in terms of VFX, but they're still well paced films that tell their story in an engaging way.

13. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

The believe the movies will age 365 days per year.

14. jle1076

technology for movies wont advance as much from 2007-2020 as they did from 1998-2010 lol so comparing time like that is stupid

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Badly, with any luck. I eagerly await the day the Movie trilogy is eclipsed by live-action TF films of far superior quality and all but forgotten.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The first one will age all right.

Not so much TF2. Time will tell about TF3.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    TF1 will be remembered for a very long time. Almost everyone I know has it on DVD or BD. ROTF will be considered the sequel that tried, but failed, to live up the the first one. DOTM? Well, only time will tell.

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    No way of knowing - we are in a new era of films.

19. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

true that.

IMO this trilogy will age well. but nothing's for certain. DOTM will be the deciding factor for the trilogy.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't think it's going to age very well. It's going to be something like Independence Day. A film that comes out and people think wow look at those special effects, look at the money it made, surely this will be a classic. Effects moved on, and something that was so unbelievable at one point ended up as a joke in an Austin Powers movie.

Special effects alone just don't cut it when it comes to what is a classic and what is just clutched by a small hard core fan base. People don't remember Jaws because of the dazzling effects they remember Jaws for being a blockbuster that had people afraid to go into the water. People don't watch Aliens 2 for the effects they watch it for that feeling they got the first time of hey these aliens were so bad they killed a squad of marines but that woman kicked their queen's ass.

Transformers just lacks anything special in heroes, villains, story, unexpected moments, or the other elements that prop a film up as it ages. Throw in the shear number of big movies Hollywood cranks out year after year and at some point it's a mostly forgotten series except for by Transformers fans. Being formulaic can help when your film comes out, but without something to stand out from the crowd it starts dropping off people's favorite films list as shiny newer films go on those lists.