How will the Japanese react to the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The initial dub of the US Beast Wars series did relatively well in Japan, and was fairly popular. However, on due to the constraints of technology that Mainframe used, as well as the budget they were under, Mainframe was unable to produce the number of episodes Takara would prefer to release per annum (52).

Beast Wars The Second, Beast Wars Neo and their accompanying theatrical movies were release, but all were less sucessful than the original US Beast Wars.

Takara also brought over US BW Seasons 2 & 3 as Beast Wars Metals, but it was very disliked by the Japanese fandom because of the severe changes in characterisation by Takara and [whichever studio handled the translation and dubbing]. Apparently, the characters and tone in Metals was changed to reflect the lighter-hearted slapstick in the Second and Neo, presumebly to better fit the younger age group Takara aims for with mainline Transformers.

But either way, G1 Optimus Prime and BW Optimus Primal remain the most popular 'Convoys' of their respective eras in Japanese TF fandom, as I understand.

2. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I've come to dispell these rumors that Beast Wars tanked in Japan. Here we go!

Hasbro USA released Beast Wars after buying out Kenner, which they had then kept as its own division. Mainframe, a relatively upcoming CGI company, took the reigns and created the Beast Wars show.

Takara brought it over and it did fine - akin to Galaxy Force, Superlink, Micron Legend, etc. The problem is that Japan began showing it while Mainframe was still working on the 2nd season.

When the first season ended in Japan, Mainframe hadn't finished season 2 yet, thus Takara needed something to tide it over - thus Beast Wars II (a direct animated sequel to Beast Wars), and then chose to make Beast Wars Neo since they had left the storyline.

Beast Wars season 2 and 3 were brought over after Beast Wars Neo, as "Beast Wars Metals". Beast Machines tanked so bad stateswise that Takara chose to go their own direction, Car Robots, which ended up tanking in Japan.

Hasbro brought over ROBOTS IN DISGUISE after dropping the idea of a continuation of the failed Beast Machines in TransTech, and about that time they announced the joint deal with Takara - co-develop and co-create the next 'franchise' of Transformers (Armada thru Cybertron).

That deal is now off, and both companies can go their own directions. Hasbro still licenses out Takara(Tomy) to help with designs, but as to my understanding, Hasbro and Takaratomy no longer have to co-produce the same thing/storyline.

I could be wrong, I just haven't heard anything of any agreement being renewed, and knew it was a 3 year deal when it was penned.

3. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Well, to be honest, Beast Wars season 1 had that same stupid "dumbing-down" of the characters to suit a younger audience as Beast Wars II, Neo and Metals.

Personally, I think the Japanese Dub of Beast Wars is a fucking travesty.

Megatron was butchered, in-particular, as they turned him into a Team Rocket-style goofy buffoon villain. His trademark was a silly high-pitched voice, and whenever someon shot at him or surprised him, he would shriek like a little girl.

It was supposed to be funny. No, it was not.

Blackarachnia's character as a strong, independant female was played down slightly. She'd beg for enemies not to hurt her in battle and things like that. The Japanese did the same thing to Arcee in Headmasters, turning her into a secretary, as they don't seem to look highly upon women in the battlefield.

Rattle wasn't so bad in the cartoon dub, but was brutally "Pikachu-ed" in the manga. Thankfully, the Beast Wars Metals manga is NOT in-continuity with the cartoon, and was basically off in crazy land all by itself.

Holy shit, we're getting way off topic, here...

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A funny story. I was in Tokyo when Beast Wars first episode aired. I was in the bar of my tiny hotel (the Sakura Inn which I highly recomend to anyone who visits) and was flipping thru channels looking for anime to watch.

I caught the tail end of some weird show that I really don't remember and was about to turn the tv off when the now infamous opening started. I honestly laughed out loud at the cheezy yet coolness of it which caused the desk guy to come over to see what was so funny.

Anyway, I wound up watching the whole thing while he translated what was being said to me. I filled him in with a little more info about the show and some of the episodes that he could expect. It turned out that he had watched G1 when he was a kid and after the show was over, we exchanged stories about our collections. (his was about how his mom threw his out after he went to college) That and he really liked Starscream.

The best part of the whole thing was the commercials for the toys. Heh heh, I love Japanese toy coms.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But many Japanese fans who have not seen the original BW in English to compare, that stupidity is accepted and mostly loved, I understand.
    One reason Second and Neo were disliked by them is that the animated beasts were too kiddy cute.

As far as I've read in various JP message boards, most people are not getting enough information.
    Will they like it? I think it will be the same as other TF fans in other parts of the world.
    Some will ilke it, the others won't.

6. DrSpengler

Well, that's not entirely true. "Bad Spark" was released theatrically, in English, all across the nation. So every Beast Wars fan that saw the movie got to hear the English cast.

Additionally, the DVDs come with optional English audio with subtitles. So any Beast Wars fans who own the DVDs can hear the English version.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    So is it too late to do the 'There are no speed lines! And why are the girls all so old?" joke? It seems to have turned into a serious discussion somewhere on page two.

8. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i would imagine a lot of picture taking... lots of picture taking...

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
  10. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
  11. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

THE GREATEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!

12. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

That clip was worth the time I spent reading this thread, hahahaha.

As for what their reaction will be, well, they'll sweat it like every other country does special effects. They'll sweat the technique and try to do as good, but run out of money, so they'll add 18 year old half naked chicks in schoolgirl uniforms and it will sell like wildfire!! haha

sorry, I'm just in a weird mood today.

13. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

14. DrSpengler

The musical talents of Banana Ice know no limitations.

C'mon, he was the voice of Funky Kong on the Japanese dub of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon!