How will the Japanese react to the movie?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Something that I haven't seen discussed yet. We all know how we western fans are reacting to it by now, but what about the Japanese? Will they love it or hate it? And what will Tomykara do with it?

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they will run thru streets in panic!

TORANSUFOMA!

3. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's a fair bet the toys will be released in Japan. I doubt there'll be any aesthetic differences at all. They'll probably charge a lot more than Hasbro.

Plus they'll make sure the DVD release comes with a tiny figure of a 13 year old girl wearing a skimpy swimsuit.

4. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Well they seemed to like our cartoon well enough.

I could care less what the japanese think, they have enough cool crap of their own that we don't. I don't mind something coming out that they don't particularly like. .

5. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

From what I can make out on the TF Imageboard (or the Babelfished version of thereof), they are:

1) Wondering when it will be out.
    2) Why they haven't been told about it.
    3) How the TFs will look.

Pretty much the same as us. I also think it will come out over there. Thing like this is way too much to skip.

Also, :/.... srsly folks...

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Apparently the shows made in the US/Canada were a big hit in over in Japan. G1 and Beast Wars. So I think it will be the same with the movie.

7. mekboy-john

mekboy-john Mildly O.K. guy

I thought that the original Beast Wars didn't do so well in Japan, which why they came up with Beast Wars II and Neo.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Wasn't the entire Beast Wars franchise a giant flop in Japan, hence why Hasbro had to help them out?

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought the original Beast Wars was popular there?

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Pretty much. And there will be screaming girls, action lines and men in fighting robot suits. And bad dubbing.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I thought their complaint about beast wars was that it was too short, since they combined season 2 and 3 to one season and didn't carry beast macnines because they wanted to carry their own version of beast wars.

12. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    they have beast machines over there, its called Beast Wars Returns.

As for how they will respond to the movie, I bet just like we are.

and KA, that was funny as hell :lol 

13. kalantiaw

kalantiaw Member

They'll like it for sure (speaking from an asian point of view).

After the movie is released there (in the US). The actors (or at least some of the main ones, and maybe the voice actors) will fly to Japan and have a press conference to promote the movie. They'll be asked questions by the press in Japanese which will be interpreted for them and their responses will be interpreted back.

And also, the people dubbing the movie in Japanese will be present in that press conference or will be interviewed separately later about their part in the film.

Well, that's what will most likely happen over there.

14. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

From everything I heard, Beast Wars was a major success. Why else would it get TWO theatrical releases?

But that's off topic.

When they do get the new Movie over there, I hope and pray they don't hire Masamune Issei to talk through the whole fucking thing.

I hate that guy...

15. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I, for one, couldn't care less. After the way they've handled the TF fiction for the last 6 years, they don't have an inch (2.54 cm for you non-Americans) of room to bitch.

That said, I'm pretty sure they'll like it. They love their giant robots over there in Nippon, and from everything I've read over the years, they prefer western TF fiction to their own.

16. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

I think this depends on how the bots will look. Take the crapfest that was Godzilla. I mean I hated that movie with a passion because of what they made him look like. I know the Japanese weren't too pleased either. But by now, we've seen plenty of versions of our favorite bots and I know that the new movie will hardly resemble them cept for maybe optimus (hopefully) so i can deal with that. But Godzilla there was no way because I only knew him to look a certain way.

17. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

How will it be viewed in japan? I think it will be viewed the same way there that it will be viewed here. The extremely vocal minority that seems to favor the internet and hates on anything that changes what they are used to will complain and talk amongst themselves until they are all convinced the movie was a giant disaster, and the rest of the moviegoing public, myself included, will enjoy a good movie and it's sequels.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Honestly I think boxerperson nailed it. Japanese fans, save the language barrier, can't be all that different to those of us who speak English. We're all fans, we just speak different languages and get different packaged versions of the toys.

Off topic on the Beast Wars issue, I was under the impression that it was only ever a lukewarm hit. I know Beast Wars Neo bombed, and the other shows weren't very serious. Beast Wars Second was very slapstick, like the later Car Robots. Beast Wars itself suffered from, I gather, a poor dub job - many of the characters had questionable voices, much like many of us have currently complained about with Cybertron. Plus there were plotholes, from the dubbing - Airrazor as a male, for example, which screwed up the later Tigatron and Tigerhawk plots. Not the dub teams fault on their end it must be said as they didn't know what was coming up when they dubbed the shows.
    Also, BW2 and BWN were produced to make up for the lack of new material, not really due to any success on Beast War's part. The theatrical releases, to my knowledge, were a triple bill, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Metals, and something else - which I think was the main draw - all shown together as one feature. Might be mistaken on the triple bill part, though.

19. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Like all living things, each according to his gifts.

20. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Beast Wars got two seperate theatrical releases in Japan.

The first one was a Super Robot Life Beast Wars special which consisted of three segments; a 45 minute Beast Wars II feature, a recap of Beast Wars and introduction to Beast Wars Metals and "Bad Spark" showed dubbed in English without subtitles for some reason.

The second theatrical release was the episode "The Cutting Edge" airred as part of a triple feature with Microman and Magical Doll Rika-chan short movies.

I dunno, I always figured something had to be popular to get released in theaters twice.

Beast Wars II was released as a means to fill the waiting time between Beast Wars and Beast Wars Metals. Neo was a way to tie-up the Beast Wars II side of the story. Beast Wars Returns was released only via a satellite station and not broadcast on any local networks.

Honestly, I didn't live in Japan when Beast Wars came out, so I can't personally say if it was all the rage. But with 4 TV shows and 2 theatrical releases, I'd say it had to have done SOMETHING right.