How Will People Actually Like War For Cybertron When It Comes Out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Transformed, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any here care to speculate how purchasers of Transformers: War For Cybertron will see it?

It’s been said in interviews and a podcast that the game will play a lot like Gears of War, a game I do not have, but looked up on YouTube. I can live with a functionality like that, though I wonder how transforming, assuming this is an option, will work with those sort of mechanics.

The games based on the first two movies force transforming onto the player. Transforming isn’t just an option, it necessary for combat and achieving high scores and medals, which just isn’t fun in my opinion. The Gamer should be able to use whatever means he/she deems necessary to achieve the goal at hand. If a character can’t fly, why place a latter or something for him/her climb? If a character can’t swim, why not have platforms or some other device to aid the gamer along? (if the character's a boat, lucky him/her) The games based on the movies take away the gamer’s ability to choose, as you can’t walk, run or climb your way through missions as you’ll miss the time necessary for success or meddling at all—the gamer’s supposed to fly or drive his/her way through missions while using turbo or start over from scratch until done as intended—I fear this is set to happen all over again with this game, as I feel the developers don’t want their hard spent time developing alternate modes wasted on gamers wanting to spend their time admiring the robot designs.

The clip I saw of Gears of War appeared to give the gamer total freedom, which is most excellent. Any here know if gamer’s can lock-on to an opponent at will? Game controlled cameras can really mess a gamer’s intended plan of attack. Especially if getting hit makes you spin in the direction of the attack only to be hit by another from a complete different direction, imagine this happening again and again while being surrounded by many unfriendlies. A gamer’s only recourse is to mash buttons, hoping one or more of his/her wild swings connects with at least one of his/her attackers, attempting to make the marry-go-round of pain stop—I want to be able to lock on to my opponent, not ammo from guns with homing mechanisms.

Another thing I didn’t particularly like about the movie based games was the telling of the story by all playable characters, which wasn’t done badly, by the way. I just feel this process limits story to be told in a certain manner (chopped up) and the gamer is once again forced to complete a scenario(s) with a character not of his/her choosing—what if I DON’T like Bumblebee? Why can’t the gamer continue using his/her chosen character throughout the entire game? If his/her character isn’t the lead, why not let that character ride in the backseat, watching the events unfold as a viewer? Don’t stop the flow of the story. We all know everyone isn’t going to have a big screen time, so why should developers try so hard to make this happen? If that’s going to be the case, I hope only Prime and Megatron are playable in story mode, and all other characters free for online mode. Heck, I’d settle for being a non-important Autobot/Decepticon taking orders from prominent figures from start to finish if it’ll free me from having to switch characters throughout the game, completing missions that require fliers or whatnot. I wouldn’t be against multiple side stories with bonus/non-lead characters having their own short stories in addition to the main one being told, however.

I want free roaming, my own options and my own character.

What do you gamers want out of this game?

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I totally agree with this. The prescribed qualities of transformation and character choice in other games has always felt limited and somewhat obnoxious. Being able to take any character into any level would be part of the appeal of the game... naturally some characters would be better suited, but it would be nice if you could still play the level in a different way with someone else.

zmog

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want a game with a real single player mode, I don't care if BUT THE MULTIPLAYER WAS THE BOOBS, ROTF game had abysmal adventure mode and that DID HURT the game alot.

Oh and local Multiplayer, I don't give a shit if people can't take multi-screen, never hurt anyone back in the days of Goldeneye 009, shouldn't be that hard now.

4. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I too, really want an in depth story + game driven single player. Assassins Creed, Darksiders level stuff. Talking length of play mixed with story, not specfic play styles or quality.

I dont and probably wont ever play multiplayer stuff, its not my cup of tea. I dig long, in depth, single player games, either action or RPG. Something that makes me want to keep playing just to see the end. Something you could cut out the animatics and cut scenes, toss in some video of key gameplay, and it's a watchable movie.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Why do people always want GTA clones? Free roaming is boring. Basically you want a game, where the players makes the game. Toy commercials tend not to have games like that.

I expect nothing, and like most TF games expect it to be mediocre. If its better, then thats fucking awesome but if its not then I won't be disappointed. I guess the new game is gonna do exactly what the movies did, turn their respective forums into a mess as it won't live up to people's expectations. Low expectations = low chance to be dissappointed :D  :D 

I want a simple linear shooter that features robots chaging to vehicles and the old G1 sound being present. Thats it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  6. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

you hit the nail on the head right there. free-roaming SP games are basically linear games with a whole bunch of nothing between relevant areas - large portions of GTA were spent driving around trying to find something to do, that's not immersive and exciting, that's curb crawling.

the very best 'free roaming' games - game like Deus Ex - are not free roaming at all, they are linear with a few alternate paths to explore and some hidden goodies for the real explorers and completists. Deus Ex remains my favorite game of all time simply because it so deftly gave the illusion of freedom whilst driving the story and level design forwards all teh time.

halflife two captured some of that feeling of there being more, but drove the level design on with superb scripted events. The theif series offered some nicely pseudo-freedom within it's linear design, as did games like psychonauts or the more recent zeldas with a central hub (these hub-based games annoy me too actually, but for a host of other reasons).

We've had total freedom, it got in the way of playing videogames. Give me the illusion of freedom and a cracking game any day of the week.

7. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i'm a big RPG fan, i'd literally buy a human turd in a dvd case if Bioware made it.

that said i don't think the transformers universe is the place for a roleplaying game, role-playing-ish elements like customising stats and choosing weapons sure that would be awesome, but a PSO or even KotOR style game in the TF universe just wouldn't have the consistency, variety or quality of fluff to support a fully evolved universe.

Transformers tends to re-tell the same stories in every incarnation and whilst WFC is a whole new jump-off point, to tie all the many and varied continuities together whilst sucessfully rebooting as something new and interesting would be a mammoth task, and beyond what WFC was ever going to be. Once this new continuity has really got going and there is enough to create a cohesive universe, it may be possible. but not yet.

i know everybody in the universe will disagree and vehmently point out how the subtle linguistic choices in the Korean dub of The Girl Who Loved Powerglide creates the opportunity for at least fifty combinations of in-depth stories of the highest calibur, but i think they're completely wrong and hopelessly misguided.

8. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never played GTA--didn't like the idea of being rewarded for doing bad things, but whatever.

What's wrong with roaming? You liked closed environments? I hated how the movie-based games had these force fields that contained you in a box. 3D backgrounds make me want to see the work and care put into making them. 3D is a big step up from 2D gaming, and 2D gaming was limiting. Gamers had to travel down a fixed path. What good is Next Gen gaming if it doesn't try to push the boundaries? You like old school gaming, that's fine--I like it too, from time to time, but I want new style gaming too.

I want the option to go wherever I want--I want to see Cybertron damn it! And I want to see it with whomever I want to use, not who I'm made to use. I think it’s uncool that out of five playable characters (or whatever the final number becomes) I can only choose one of three characters for certain stages do to laziness. Transformers, transform. They were never without a means of getting the job done. Transformers without a side arm made one out of an arm, like we see in this game, some even made energy weapons out of their hands, too. Transformers without the ability to fly borrowed a jetpack from a friend, and those unable to walk on water transformed their feet in to pontons, so why is Highmoon telling me Prime can't fly?

A gamer's game is the ideal game, and the ideal game doesn't limit the gamer, in my book.

Maybe the wii/DS is better suited to your tastes. I expect more on the PS3/XBOX 360 because their talking points are big, better than Last Gen gaming.

…when did I make this thread? I don’t recall making this at all :confused: 

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Some people like the freedome of a sandbox based game world.
    You say GTA. I think if it was done as a straight up GTA clone, then yeah, that'd be boring. But I think of other games that have the free roaming concept that are actually a lot of fun. Like Fallout 3 or the Legend of Zelda games.
    If done right, I think a free roaming Transformer game would be a lot of fun. But that's just what I, and all the other free roaming fans, think.

I think I would like some actually good melee combate. Something that actually feels visceral. I remember the melee combat from the first movie game was horrible, and ROTF didn't really look any better. I want to be able to run up to an enemy, throw a punch, and feel like it actually connected. Rather then just seeing my character take swipes at the bad guy as you watch an energy bar slowly goes down over his head.

10. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I split up the large discussion thread for WFC into individual different topics. I thought this one warranted it's own thread. Since you were the first post in the newly formed thread, you become the thread starter :) 

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

ROTF game was a total let-down, in the movie you see all those parts falling and breaking and BLARGHARGH yet all they did in the game was UUUUGH pose then dying.

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, so that’s what happen. Cool. Hopefully others will join in the discussion. I’m curious to see what others want out of the game.

With Cybertron being the setting, it would be a shame for us not to be able to explore it. Especially after hearing the developers talking about how disappoint they were to see so little of it in the show way back then :lol 

13. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm really expecting a lot of various characters, and an in depth single-player aspect. It doesn't matter to me if the online modes are tacked on since online isn't my cup of tea, but split-screen co-op and versus is a must for me, since it's usually how I play games with my friends. As long as it has all the basic game modes that GoW does, like split-screen co-op, split-screen versus, online co-op and online-versus, it's cool. People will probably like it.

14. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

How Will People Actually Like War For Cybertron When It Comes Out?

If we had that magical power to foresee that every single product made on earth would be a success. :) 

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How about the question asked in the first post: care to speculate how purchasers of Transformers: War For Cybertron will see it? How about the several other questions brought up on the first/second page?

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I've seen many people on other forums/YouTube saying it's a game they've been waiting a long time for. I've also heard the term "Gears with giant robots" tossed around. And I've also heard people saying they're gonna buy it just for the "epic cutscenes".

Oh, and for some reason, a lot of people seem to think WFC is a movie, not a video game.

17. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

I've become somewhat of a CoD 6 fanboy, but who else would like squad based gameplay? Like there is a leader, and one or two other squad members with you that you can switch to at any time. Have at least four at a time so there can be a co-op campaign. I'd like it.

But I don't quite follow what you are talking about with "forced transforming" :/

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I think they did say in the campaign you would be joined by two other teammates in missions. And they did confirm co-op.

19. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Will it be splitscreen too? I hope so.

20. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Care to post links to people who think it's a movie? Just curious, really, seeing no one has said anything about WFC being a movie. (At least not on here.)

Anyways, I can't really say seeing there hasn't even been videos or pics on gameplay yet. So far, the graphics and designs are pretty good and of pretty high quality so I hope the actual gameplay will be just as good.