How Wide Are Your Shelves?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jason Blue Boost, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm looking to build a display case in the basement of my new house. How wide are your shelves or what do you guys suggest? I'm looking to put glass shelves in.

2. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i believe you want to talk to dj soundwave. he's got some amazing displays. do you mean how deep our shelves are? width doesn't really matter but depth depends on the figures you're putting on it. look in the website's gallery under featured collections and you'll see some different ideas.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    mine are 5 feet long and 1 foot deep I think

[​IMG]

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Eh, my curios all range from size about 5-7' tall, and usually 3-4' wide, and about 12-15" thick. 9 of them.

5. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

I use 2' wide shelves so I can stand them from tallest to shortest. It works well.

6. actionfigure73

actionfigure73 Iraq Combat Vet

News Credits:
    I use the 'ole wall shelf units from Lowes, but I seriously need to redo my office/collection room.

7. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I use my closet lol, I need shelves!!!

8. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I know you said you're looking to build, but once I got a display case with glass doors, I decided never to go back. And I'm not good enough to build that. Never having to dust is a HUGE bonus for me. On the plus side, I can easily show dimensions.

I use the Ikea Billy bookcases. 11" deep and 63" wide. The height of the shelves is adjustable, and you can add more than is pictured if you really want to pack them in. They're great because they're modular - mine have glass shelves and glass doors. With the glass doors and glass shelves, and lights on the top and middle I think each comes to about $200. The only downside is the wooden frame on the door which obstructs the view on a strip down the center. If you didn't want the glass doors, You'd take off about $60 from the price if I recall correctly. The best part is, you can line a whole wall with them if you want to.

I also use the Detolf display case. All glass except for a wooden top where you can mount a light. 16" by 14". Nice and high for display of the big stuff.

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

My shelves are 1' to 1 and a 1/2' deep/wide. The top one in my display case is 1' and the lowest is 1 and a 1/2 feet.

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use the std book cases from Walmart, they're about 11 inches deep I believe. If you've got some scrap wood to build terraces, they work great to display figures.

Abrogate, Im not sure what type of wood your shelves are made out of, but you may want to watch out that they don't start to warp over time. I know the partical board shelves in the walmart bookcases I use have a tendancy to warp and they're only 28 inches wide.

It doesn't look like there's a huge amount of weight on any particular shelf, but given the 5 foot span and no support except on the ends, they might start to warp (at least from what I can see from the picture).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  11. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I use to have shelves set up on my wall that where set on runners that were adjustable. They where 5' long and 16" deep, found it was a good depth too. But now Im using good ol' wal mart book shelves, not that great, not deep enough but there doing the job till I build my own. Going to be build some wall units I have design later down the road, like to do it now but its just not the time.

12. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! Keep them coming!:dj  My wife thought 14 inches would be a good depth for the shelves. Probably going to do a mirror backing on the wall with some lighting. How bad is the dust without having them encased?

13. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    5ft long, 12" deep.

I may get deeper though...o_O 

14. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Mine are 20" deep. It really depends on how much you have, how you want to display them and how much wall space you have. I have a lot so I needed something deeper as I did not have a lot of wall space. My shelves are six foot tall, eight foot long and 20 inches deep. I need to build two more to get everything. The shelves I made are 2 feet tall so I can stack stuff and put boxed items in there as well. Like I said before, it depends on your needs. I still don't think I'll have enough room. So new stuff goes to the totes.............

MegaMus
    -seriously thinking I need to get organized-