How/Why are Seekers so popular?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sky Shark, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I've been thinking to myself why I like the Seekers so much and why so many other people are big fans of the 6 Seekers and esspecialy the first 3, Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker. If you think about it out of all six of them in the G1 show Starscream was the only one that had very pronuced character/personality, and the others just were minor fill characters in a way. Also Starscream has been featured in almsot every show but the others have mainly been repaints in the toy line except for Thundercracker who was in Cybertron. Yet some how they got their own huge following for some reason and a lot of us tend to really like all six or even just the main 3. Does anyone know exactly what made these guys so popular(like spilling out over 2 hundred dollars for that botcon set mainly just to get Thundercracker, Dirge and Thrust) in the first place?

My personal guess is because they represent jet fighters which are fast and deadly which would be associated with action, which is what alot of the fans like. Also there is the fact that they made up a good porton of the Decepticon troops until season 3.

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

First off, they are just a good design. Both their robot and jet forms have that intangible design quality called "appeal." Interesting shapes, good proportions, variation in the details, etc.

I think another part of it is because they all look the same. I've always enjoyed "variations on a theme," and I like seeing a set of essentially identical characters in different colors. As a kid it always fascinated me that Starscream stood out because of his memorable personality, even though he was physically identical to all his troops. That says a lot about how much can be done with the right characterization.

I also think people like drone characters that come in "fleets." There is something threatening about a giant, homogenous group.... think army troops who all wear the same uniform, or stormtroopers. You get the sense that individually they're not much of a threat, but when they come in a swarm they're unstoppable.

EDIT: I think the points you brought up are accurate, as well!

3. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I personally think they looked cool and also (like you said) Starscream's personality really made him stand out which always made me wonder about the others such as Skywarp. It really works well for Transformers in general.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Of the Seekers, the only two I really care for or Starscream and Skywarp.

Screamer should be obvious why, just dig his character.
    Skywarp, I like his colorscheme.

5. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I've just always loved their designs. They are simple, elegant, wear their wing kibble well, and turn into an aestetically pleasing jet. They also look good in any color combo, regardless of how unrealistic.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cuz jets are kool.

7. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

This.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The seekers were a team. Typicaly where ever starscream was they were too. While starscream is remembered as the leader of the group, they are still remembered as a group.

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Kids like jets.

Kids like robots.

Kids freakin' love jets that turn into robots.

I still hope and pray that the day comes we get a full set of easily available show seekers, and hey, toss in the green+yellow guy and the grey drones from those comics and any other color scheme that might look good and I'd buy them too. I'd love me a HUGE army of seekers for Starscream to command.

10. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    Yeah I always saw them as a Team. So you get one you need them all (although I don't really count Sunstorm. Just the 6) Getting some seekers is to me is like getting Grimlock, Swoop, and Snarl....and then not getting the rest of the Dinobots. Or like only getting half of the Constructicons or Arielbots. They are a team and should be together.

What I don't understand is why people are so ga-ga over guys like Bludgeon or Thunderwing. I know they played bigger roles in the comic later on....but I just think they are kind "Eh."

11. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

For me at least it was because they were F-15's. That was my favorite jet fight even pre Transformers. Plus in robot form they look bad ass.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    For me, I always loved Skywarp. How can you not like a jet that can teleport? Starsceam was neat, but I honestly didn't become a real SS fan until Armada.

13. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

there is a certain "sex appeal" that follows jets and "bad boys"

though I thinks is cause they're just damned cool

14. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

what's a seeker?

15. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

Yes, I also think they are sexy. Thrust, Dirge & Ramjet not so much...the coneheads look like clowns. But still very cool~

16. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    because they are sweet

*hugs my Thundercracker*

I wish I could get that botcon Thundercracker soooo much :( 

17. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

A Seeker is a term used to describe the Decepticon jets. They most well known I believe(I'm not up to date on any comic universes) are Sarscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG] I concur.

19. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

To me, the seekers will always be the original 3. I'm cool with the other dudes (except the far now way over-rated Sunstorm). As toys, they just looked neat.

As much as I love Starscream for the scheming dick that he is, Thundercracker will always be my favorite - his tech spec really appealed to me in ways that the others never did... I always wanted a story where he and Mirage just said "slag it" and left their respective sides to find their own adventures... they were like mirror images of one another with respect to how they felt about their respective causes.

20. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    who dubbed the term seeker anyway?

i refuse to call them seekers they're Decepticon Jets