How, why and what do you collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Grandum, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I originally wrote this as a reply to the thread about wether or not you collect classics, but realised it was going off topic since I described how I collect, what I collect and why. Since it is a transformers forum though I thought we could keep to transformers in this thread, so here's my reasoning behind my collection:

I want a transformers toy collection that is as g1 cartoon accurate as possible, preferebly to scale with how they were usually depicted in robot mode, with a few extras thrown in that I personally think fit the style of the g1 collection like Armada Tidalwave & Drift.

Before I go on I feel that I should mention that I live in Sweden, where we don't even get the rts/generations stuff, it's just movieverse at all the toystores so that means that I only buy stuff online and the total price with shipping will be about the same for a generations toy from the US and a United toy from Japan, with an additional fee of about $40 if it was to get stuck in customs. So all in all a single deluxe toy could very well set me back $20 (toy) + $25-$35 (shipping) + $40 (customs) = $85-$95

With those kind of prices it also means I don't collect placeholders that will suffice until a real one comes out, especially since I can't really sell the placeholders since the market for classic style transformers is tiny in Sweden, and ebay is out of the question for single toys because of shipping & customs fees.

On the plus side it does give me a whole different perspective on toys and their pricing. Where as people who can buy these figures in toystores think that fort max is insanely expensive when he goes for $800 I get to think of him as being worth the same as about 8 or 9 recent deluxes or 5 or 6 older henkeis

It also means that I can buy takara releases for the same prices as hasbro releases which in turn means that I get to pick whatever figure I think has the best paint job.

Anyway, to me that means a collection with a main mix of G1 and CHUG. I don't intend to collect a full g1 or henkei line (although with henkei it's probably closer to 98% of the line) and sadly that means I pick up exclusives like music label soundwave, device label blaster and faith leader to fill the gaps.

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went through a phase where I bought everything and anything, but I'm a little more discerning now. My collection is not oriented towards lines or anything like that, as I don't want to buy up a whole line for the sake of having a line, and also the fact I now live in Bolivia so the only time I can get new TFs is if I go abroad or someone brings me one. I pick and choose a little bit from each line, although at the moment it's a pretty even split between G1, Move, Animated and CHUG.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    At one time I pretty much getting anything that came out. But that was during the Beast Era, when I had the characters I cared about.

These days I go for what I like most of the time. A sure bet on a sale is anything that transforms into a beast mode for me. I'll pick that up before anything else, as that's the only thing I have left of my generation in stores. I'll pick up vehicle mode transformers, but I have to like something about it. I only got HFTD Terradive because he looked like a Vehicon.

Most of my collection is Beast Era figures, post BM beast mode transformers, Animated, and Movie 2 figures. Since BM ended, I've been picky so I dont need several different sizes of a character. The only character I'd go out of my way to get in any size isHound. Mainly because I like his Jeep alts.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I buy what I like and what looks cool. I mainly collect Animated, Movie and starting to collect Classics. May look into getting some transmetals too but that's about it. And Prime when it's out.

5. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

i started collecting in 2008. but i really "started" to seriously collect during the end of 2009. at which time i was seriously intu universe classics figs such as sideswipe, cyclonus, etc. then came animated. then came the second movie. i was having a hard time trying to collect them all, so i decided "screw it" and stopped buying movieformers and TFA, and started focusing on collecting classics.

why classics? because they have great aesthetics, great playability overall, and they are homages (most of the time) to our beloved G1 characters. third party products often complete that circle. i bought FP's bruticus addon set and the protector set just for the sake of it. currently i'm still dead set on completing my generations set and just starting out with the RTS line.

i'm a late starter, but i'm catching up.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Currently, Classics-Generations, G1, and Masterpiece in that order.

I'm still heavily into Alternators/Binaltech, but the expansion of my collection comes through customs :) 

7. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    at one time i was silly and bought every figure pumped out here. i had every figure from beast wars all the way thru rotf. sold my complete armada, energon, cybertron, movie 1, movie 2, and classics figures.

i still own complete beast wars collection including all japan issue stuff, beast machines, robots in disguise, animated. i also have a fair amount of gen 1 and gen 2 stuff. all my gen 2 stuff is sealed.

but what i really enjoy collecting are botcon figures. besides maybe 3 figures i have everything from 1997 thru 2006, then 2008 thru current. all sealed in bags , or boxes, or in boxsets that ive never taken the figures out to display.

so thats the stuff i collect. as far as why......i just like them.

8. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    How do I collect? I buy Transformers.
    Why do I collect? Because they are Transformers.
    What do I collect? Transformers.

Oh, and I hate to keep harping on this, but "CHUG" is not the collective fan-preferred term for the Classics line. Many of us, in fact, despise that acronym.

9. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First and foremost, I collect what I think looks cool. Stuff like Alternity, Device Label or some movie figures here and there. After that, it's characters and series I grew to like. G1 based classics fits the bill here, as does Beast Wars, Animated and RID. I don't feel I need a complete line of anything, except for possibly RID if I can ever bring myself to buy a Brave Max and the Pred trio. Even then, by "complete" I just mean show characters.

10. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple... because I like Transformer toys. Nothing more. Basically grew up when the G1 cartoon was aired and I was hooked up ever since. Next to Voltes-V, Transformers is one of my favorite toys along side He-man and Thundercats... Hoooooooooooooooooooooooo! Also liked M.A.S.K and G.I. Joes.

11. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

My life sucked and then I saw the re-issues and Classics line and I thought it was neat. I get so happy to get a figure or see new G1 remakes get released.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I buy Transformers because I like them, and they're the easiest, most varied, and the highest quality toys I can get at the price. If other lines that interest me more, such as SH Figuarts, came out with just as many toys, at just the same value and were just as easy to find and buy as Transformers, I would definitely not collect Transformers as much.

13. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

I can't say my life sucked, I love my life, but Classics got me into collecting.

14. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

I collected everything I wanted from Animated (one of every character released) which was deluxe, voyager, leader, and in the case of Bee and Cliff- Activator.
    Now I'm mainly just carrying on with the Classics stuff. Every now and then something great will be in another line, IF I CAN AFFORD IT, I'll get it.

I also collect other things aswel, and when looking at my collection it's obvious to see why Animate pushed so many of my buttons. I'm a sucker for that style, currently looking at a shelf filled with the Animated Spawn and Hellboy figures.

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn't know what to do if I caught it. I just do things.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I took a break from collecting prime?convoy figures to collect classiscs.

17. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If it looks cool,I'll probably buy it,assuming the price is right.

18. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I used to collect anything TF, but, with money tight, I tend to stick with just G1 and Classics.

19. matrixprime

matrixprime AJ's Toy Chest Owner

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to collect everything. Now its been parsed down to Classics/Generations and G1, although Im finding it harder and harder to care about those and Im even less interested in going to Botcon. Maybe it's time to sell the collection and grow up...

20. sacha88

sacha88 Well-Known Member

If I like it, I buy it. I don't really set limits in terms of lines. Although I have definetly lost a lot of interest in movieverse and am really focusing on Classics-style stuff.