How was the BotCon 2010 dealer room?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by xZAOx, Jun 28, 2010.

1. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just curious, since I couldn't make it. I went to 06, 07, and 08, and by 08 I wasn't seeing much new. I thought 09 would bring more variety, but it really didn't. I always managed to find stuff to buy, but only because I was changing what I was buying. And the Japanese guys usually managed to always surprise me with a few new things.

So yeah, how was the dealer room this year, especially from "veterans" points of view?

2. ANONYMOUS

ANONYMOUS Well-Known Member

It was definitely smaller...probably due to several factors. 1.... BBTs was not there which was 4 or 5 less booths then normal. 2. the costs involved in being a vendor there have gotten so high. Honestly, I am surprised at how many show up anymore as its probably much more profitable to sit at home and sell on Ebay.

On the upside, there was definitely much more vinatge G1 toys there then in the past several shows (one vendor had 14 Computrons lined up on is table). Especially Japanese stuff. There were at least 3 Black Zaraks in the room, which is very unusual. Prices were all over the place, but like always, there were deals to be had.

3. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    The amount of dealers seemed very small. The room seemed huge in comparison. As far as product? Most of the same faces minus BBTS. You got a better Botcon haul than any of us though dude. Congratulations on the new addition to the family bud!

4. brollicon

brollicon Well-Known Member

thought the dealer room was small been to other cons and they had more dealers but hay its botcon so i think alot of people didn't have transformers to sell but other toys.

thought the size was just right for the amount of people who attended

5. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I think you make a good point about it being the right size. The overall attendance was smaller, so a smaller dealer room worked out.

I don't think the variety of toys available was impacted by it. The dealers who were missing weren't the ones who bring anything unique to the show (even BBTS). Now if the Japanese dealers or Styling Online didn't show, or if we lost both BBTS and TFSource, that would probably change what was available.

6. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    damn bro. did'nt know you were there, i was there as well

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Did there happen to be any amount of Superlink toys for sale?

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I thought it felt a little thin, but that's coming out of 09' when the dealer room was slammed by walk-ins. I would also say that of the 3 Botcons I have been to this room seemed the most Transformer, I hardly saw anything non-TF for sale. Where as last year there seemed to be a lot of other stuff around. So even though there might have been fewer dealers it felt more focused.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Selection was dissapointing, most dealers were crazy on their prices. I had better luck finding stuff I needed from random people selling in the lobby

10. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

agrees with u there cobra

11. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rob, there was about 5 dealer not counting bbts that did not attend cause one of the following reasons, cost of booth jump up 50 dollars, very late online sign up, or they did not want to fight against disney.

Over all as a collector I was dispointed with the room as I only bought 8 items in the room from other dealers. 2 items were bought from fans that stop by the booth wanting to sell their stuff. The rest which was not much was bought in the parts party.

As a dealer stand point, sells were there but some what opposite then in regular years. Their were a few great buyers, but over all most sale were under 150.00. But sales were up on Sunday over other years. But Sunday I have had since being a dealer

12. rework

Weird. I didn't see it this way at all. Yes, the sales were mostly the lower price items - But that's the way it's been for a few years now. And that's what I bring.

I didn't notice anything unusual on Sunday. My sales broke down almost exactly as they have the past few years: 40% Friday (in just 3 hours), 40% Saturday, 20% Sunday.

It doesn't surprise me at all if some dealers chose not to come because of Disney being there. I really don't understand why people think there needs to be "other" things to bring people to Botcon. I thought Botcon was the reason people were coming. All these other attractions do is make it more expensive for everybody.

13. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Very spaced out and small. The biggest being 2007-08

14. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not much I was interested in. Kind of disappointed. Hard to find things like Classics Sideswipe. I was hoping for bins of loose classics like I found last year at Pasadena. The boards and lobby was the best place to buy I think. Heard the Japanese guys had some good MISB G1 stuff though....

15. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    From a collectors point of view, this years dealers room sucked! If it were not for AMS I would not have bought anything. I bought some european exclusives from him and a few odds and ends at the parts party. Overall the least amount I have spend ever!!! And for those who know me that is a great disappointment. I look forward to Botcon for filling in gaps in my collection. I had money saved up for a big purchase like Grand Max or Big Powered Convoy. I went home with the money......
    NOW from a dealers point of view. I was very happy. Friday and Sunday were the two biggest days with Sunday beating Friday by a slight margin. It was weird I heard several times about people on Saturday wanting to wait until Sunday to get the items cheaper. Now I will let people in on something. I never went down on my prices any more on Sunday than I would have on Saturday or even Friday. I don't play that game where I am gonna hold onto the item until the last day and then discount it. I have a price in mind for everything and am willing to take less at any given time. It was funny but several big purchases one over $500 came on Sunday. It was unusual as generally Friday and Saturday always beat Sunday. Oh well, I was happy to say the least.
    The Japanese guys did have some awesome sealed items and if I were at that level in collecting I probably would have bought something from them. This is also the first time EVER I did not buy anything from them. A side from my big purchase from AMS my second best score was from the Toy Addict. I was able to get some four star parts which to me is a great find, again many thanks.
    As for the room I would say that it just seemed like less dealers because the room was bigger. I think what happened in Cali made FP think they needed a bigger room. It would have been helpful in Cali when it was elbows to well you get the idea. I would say that FP needs to understand that competing with other dealers is normal and the dealers know this but competing with Disney also!!!! The big dog will always win. I hope in the future they keep that in mind. I would rather have Botcon in a less touristy location but that is just my two cents......

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's good to know how each dealer operates. I know that several dealers refused to haggle on Friday / Saturday and kept saying to come back on Sunday. So I did (out of spite), to watch them pack away the items I was interested in and have to haul it back home without a sale. Could have had my money if you just played the game, suckers.

17. rework

That is what would be called a lose/lose situation. You don't gain anything and neither does the dealer... Though somehow I doubt the dealer even noticed... If it was me, I didn't.

My policy on haggling is a little different than Megamus. I take the time to research my prices before the show and every year I have shown up with, on average, about the cheapest prices at the show. And unlike some dealers, I don't "bake in" an extra $5 or $10 in the price so that someone can haggle it back out. I see that as a complete waste of time for everyone. I price it at the price I really want to sell it at.

That doesn't mean I won't haggle. But don't ask me to do it Friday or early Saturday morning before the general admission even has a fair chance. I did break price on a few things starting Saturday afternoon, but my booth was so wiped out by then that I really didn't have all that much left to haggle over.

18. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Haggling certainly has its place, but I definitely understand your view. It's almost insulting to a seller when an item is fairly priced and a buyer still wants to haggle. There better be a darn good reason for the haggling then (ie - buying a huge lot of things from you). Reminds me of the "Best Offer" feature on eBay. I like to use that feature, but my BIN prices are already really low. If some prospective buyer shoots me an offer for half my list price, I'm usually quite taken aback.

19. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

I Don't know about how bad the dealers room Was. i would say this is my 5th con and It felt very nice balance for myself. I got a lot of great bargins even with out BBTS not being there. With them there Tf Source and them would have had price wars. I realy wanted to get some of the Japanese figures like Star Saber and Overlord but it seemed that no on had them. I did however blow all my money and did get some great deals. Mostly filled in my gaps for Universe that I wanted. I was a little said that some of the companies did not have the third party items like I was looking for...but on Late Sunday I did find what I was looking for. One of the dealers was hidden due to traffic. I did get what I wanted. I still missed out on my Straff and Dark Jetfire I wanted but there is alway the next Botcon, and megamus if your money is still burning a hole in your pocket I will be more than happy to take it off of your hands you can make a donation to Send Lordtigerhawk to Botcon fund. I am sure you can get a great tax write off.....:thumbs2: 

20. rework

Is that so much a reflection of the dealer room at this one show or it more because of where you are in your collecting? I haven't bought anything significant for my collection at a Botcon in quite a few years. I'm just at that point where the few things I would like to have are so rare and expensive, that I don't even see them at Botcon... (Nor would I likely pay the asking price if I did.)
    Big Powered and Grand Max are tough ones to throw out as examples. They don't show up every year simply due to their value and size. Each is a big, expensive item that a dealer has to be prepared to transport both ways due to with a limited market of buyers. With that and the risk of transporting large $1000+ toys, when the day comes for me to sell mine, it will probably be over Ebay.

I agree 100%. Disney may be great for Brian as he can draw some people who might not have come otherwise, but it really hurts the dealers. Brian gets his money through the registration and exclusives - He's going to get his... But the rest now have to compete with Disney, plus other than the hotel rooms, everthing was more expensive. After all that, no wonder a lot of dealers chose to pass on BC10.

Botcon should be enough of a draw by itself.