How was it like after Beast Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dinoman96, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dinoman96

Dinoman96 Well-Known Member

Truth to be told, I never got into Transformers, or bought the toys, until the movies came along. But I'd like to ask, how was it like to be a Transformers fan after Beast Wars?

I thought BM was decent, but it was poorly received by most fans, and the Unicron Trilogy...yeah.

I say it must of been pretty bad with all these crappy shows.

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    okay, after beast wars, i got out of transformers cause of beast machines (i was too young to truely take in the awesomeness haha finally sat down and began to watch it recently and i love it, got to finish it)....i remember RID vaguely but it was armada that brought me back to transformers......i know people hate the kids but that show was awesome.....was still into transformers during energon but not heavily cause i hated energon, still bought some toys here and there....got into transformers big time in 2005 and have been stuck since......it was good times, sure the movies were good, but it was everything else besides the movies that kept me intrested....movie figures get old REALLY fast (i barely have bought any ROTF figures......still need to get long haul and leader optimus prime to have all that i want short of the bludegon wave and up)

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Its the same as its always been. There's going to be people that love the concepts that came out, and people who hate everything that isn't the one or two series they liked.

I think the only really unique part of the post-BM fandom was when we realized we'd be getting RiD (and Transtech, I suppose), and that subsequent feeling among some of us of "renewal" (for lack of a better term) in knowing that it was going to go back to mechanical alt modes like the original series. I also think that for some of us, who knew about the Japanese continuity, but hadn't necessarily become familiar with it (to say nothing about the rise of anime, for younger fans at that time), the announcement of RiD represented a window into a sort of "new take" on things. That's around the time (IIRC) that retro-G1 style merchandising started to pop up as well, so that was nice too.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I heard a lot of bad things about Beast Machines. When I watched it for myself, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the dark atmosphere and shocking twists. Yeah, there were some pretty noticeable WTF moments, ("I am transformed!", Blackarachnia's traitor comment in "The Weak Component", etc) but it's not as bad as fans claim it is.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It wasn't bad at all. Like every show and every toyline, there were good and bad elements about both. Frankly, this idea that the movie "saved" the franchise is a bit silly.

6. TMIIWonkoNemi

TMIIWonkoNemi Well-Known Member

A 9 year old couldn't understand a thing that went on in Beast Machines,only the inconsistencies of certain characters,particularly Rhinox and Silverbolt.Because of this,I never got into the Fandom at all during the early 2000s.R.i.D. I skipped entirely,and I've only watched a few Episodes of Armada,but not without wondering 'Why the Hell are everyone vehicles and not animals?'

It wasn't until 2005/2006 that Beast Wars started airing again in Canada.Since then,I finally started to get into the Fandom and learn that there are other Transformers Series before Beast Wars.I eventually watched Beast Machines again and I loved it,despite it's flaws.I learned a bit about G1 and watched the first 7 out of 100-something Episodes and need to take more time in seeing them.I also watched the first 7 Episodes of Energon and skipped Cybertron entirely.I didn't start collecting till '08 when I heard of TFCon's existence.

So,how it was like after Beast Wars....not so good,but when seeing it again in an older age,it gets better.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    BW made hate Hasbro for a while, and made me receive the Unicron trilogy with caution. Ive come to accept BW but they are still TFs.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the unicron trilogy gets a lot of hate now. But for the entire span of the armada show and toyline, it was very popular, and got lots of love. The Energon show got off to a strong start, and then decayed into "that thing we all laugh at". Cybertron was well, yeah. the japanese version, Galaxy Force was VERY popular, and everyone was always in a rush to download the newest episode. but when Cybertron was airing, few fans here cared.

but the toylines were always good. even armada was loved back then.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    agreed i do not think it needed saving

10. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I was one of those that anxiously waited to download the new ep of Galaxy Force every week. The intro got me pumped up. The Galaxy Force toys were great and I remember getting them at a import store when they first came out. They were more expensive than the later Hasbro versions, but awesome nonetheless. I kinda liked the fact that GF was made as a standalone type series, even though it was meant to be a sequel to Energon in the North American version. Also, I suppose there was nowhere else to go but up after SuperLink/Energon.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    At first I didnt care much for BM, I kept watching and over time grew to like it. Knowing what know now, it was a treasure compare to the other four series that came after it.

Then with RID I began to get bored, the style I grew up with was now gone. To me it was a step back going from a 3D show to a 2D show. Growing up with animal transformers at first it was cool to see vehicle transformers. This was after a huge what the slag moment when seeing the Autobots. With it being Predacons and Autobots at first, then later the Decepticons came. I was hoping Maximals would show up as well.

Armada, Energon, and Cybertron my intrest in Transfomers was near dead. I got tired of seeing the Decepticons and Autobots. I was wishing to hear Optimus follow by Primal again. I was getting sick of the annoying kids. I just didnt get the whole I'm Megatron, no I'm Galvatron, no I'm back to Megatron now stuff. The only thing I liked about Cybertron was Jungle planet. Gave me something that I was used too again. Then the gimicks I found annoying. Minicons, powerlink, planet keys? I didnt get Minicons at all. Powerlinking I found as a joke. So got to join together to beat somebody? The planet keys to me seem nothing more then a universal seek and find.

By the time Animated came around. I was sick of Transformers but gave it a chance. It brought back feelings for a show I didnt had since Beast Wars. A Megatron that stayed as Megatron. An Optimus Prime that was like Optimus Primal. A small groups of cast at first that gave me favorite transformers since the Beast era. Tributes to other series other then G1. As a BW fan seeing BA, Waspinator, Rattrap (Rattletrap), and Spittor was great. Then with the nod to BM with Jetstorm and Strika was another bonus. Plus other then the goofy bad guy humans, the humans on here wasnt annoying at all. I liked Sari, then she turn out to be a robot. Which would probably explain the lack of annoyance I had with her. Then when Prowl died, that was the first time in years I felt said about a TF death. Last time it was with BW Dinobot. I also like how they explain the names and how they explain other stuff. Like Starscream coming back from the dead. I was sad when the show had ended. Even better that the toy line had no stupid gimicks. Plus they were show like too.

Then I remember seeing something about a Beast Wars Animated logo and nearly fainted in joy. Then I notice it was a sig and wanted to cry.

As for the movies, didnt see them. I was kinda annoyed. I know G1 had a movie. So at first I though Hasbro would had done a movie for the other series.

12. Vla

Vla Well-Known Member

Very interesting topic! I got into TF in Autumn 2006, ~10 months before the 2007 movie, so I'm as curious as Dinoman96.

13. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When it comes to toys: Car Robots, Masterpieces, Binaltechs kept the whole thing alive. About the cartoons, heh. I gave up on watching them after BW.

14. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I'll hold my tongue on Beast Machines since I didn't like the series due to character contradictions.

But TF went downhill after Beast Wars in my opinion. It started with Robots in Disguise. That's when the Transformers rotate their war around a human kid. (Then this followed in the Unicron Trilogy and beyond, even the TF ROTF sort of proves that.)

Oh yeah, the whole "announce the attack" before shooting deal was a turn off. Not to mention the lack of direct hits but instead they fired at the ground the enemy stood on. It screamed Power Rangers. The Toys were good.

Cybertron series should have been stand alone. To much loopholes in the continuity that you have to be dumb to not notice them and the writers didn't do a good enough job to hide them.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This. This right here.

IMO, The Unicron trilogy could have been great. I thought it had decent story, likeable characters, but it just had so much annoying shit in it. Every episode consisted of a million laser blasts all around, no one getting hit, and too much talking.

What kept it going for me? The toys. The toys were always fun no matter what. There was shitty ones and then great ones. Not to mention the Unicron trilogy was a great time to go on Ebay and catch up on missing lines because I didn't want EVERY single toy.

16. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    i watched all shows but actually bendy prime got me back into the toys. the dreamwave comics were a must

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I got back into TFs during the run of Beast Machines. I wasn't a beasties fan (and still am not), so when I got back into things, I was hunting the G1s that I didn't have on ebay. I liked the Vehicons, and getting an occasional TFs at retail was cool enough. Then, I saw that we were getting vehicles again with CR/RiD! Oh man, I was excited! I thoroughly enjoyed CR/RiD. I was disappointed when I found out that Armada was replacing RiD, but overjoyed that we FINALLY got a Unicron toy! Those toys were hit or miss for me.

During all of this time, I was learning my way around the web and such, learning more and more about Transformers. Alternators got me into kitbashing, and eventually posting a lot more on the board. Transformers were still very obscure, and I rather enjoyed that aspect of it to an extent. :) 

18. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After Beast Wars... RID was really a great toy series. Yes, the show was terrible but man was Omega Prime, Car Bros and Rail Racer awesome. Some of my favorite toys but I don't own them anymore.... not sure why? I'll have to track down Rail Racer.

As far as Cartoons go.... never really watched any of the new series until Animated.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

After the Beast Era ended was a golden time of wonderful toys both old and new, supported by a cartoon with a sense of fun. Before the dark times. Before the Unicron Trilogy.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Took me awhile to accept BW, never liked Beast Machines. RID made me happy with the return of Autobots and Decepticons. I enjoyed AEC for what is was. Sorry that Animated ended while it was at it's best. I enjoy Movie TFs too. It's been a fun ride. So many good Transformers, cartoons, movies and books/comics. Looking forward to the next Botcon.