How Violent Should Optimus Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Spunky, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I am wondering how violent Optimus should be in Transformers Prime, especially since I'm writing an Transformers Prime crossover fanfic that's going to have him fighting several Cons. I haven't seen him as violent towards Cons in the show as he was in the movies. The only time I've really seen him slicing faces has been when facing already dead zombies. Should he slice more faces or not? I am thinking of a scene in my fanfic where he sticks his sword through two Vehicons' faces at once trying to protect Mulder. (Yes, it's an X-Files crossover fanfic.) Should he really be this violent in the show and would it therefore really be appropriate for a fanfic based on such a show? I would love the face-slicing, but I don't know if it is truly appropriate for his character or not? Just need some opinions.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Violent of not, he's still gotta be Optimus Prime, so naturally he's gotta value even the evil forms of life more than most.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm not very fond of this Prime's softiness. BW Primal respected all life, but he still fought like a mofo. Movie Prime respects innocent life, but give no quater to evil doers. This Prime comes off like he thinks nobody should be killed in war. Even G1 Prime didn't think "oh, they'll come around eventually."

I would like to see him more violent. Simply because it makes for better action, and Prime needs to be a badass. Even G1 Prime was violent by G1 standards, often tossing enemies around like a pro-wrestler or gunning them down like a old west cowboy. (mostly in the movie)

Also this taking faces joke is beyond worn out. Leave it to the internet to take something possibly funny and just suck all the humour out of it.

4. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Violent enough to take faces and chew bubble gum! And he's all out of bubble gum! XD

5. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Prime's Prime has basically displayed the amount of violence that I would expect of him. He can hold his own in a battle, but he's not too violent.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I like the level he's at in the show right now.

Not overly violent so it never seems like he revels in the violence. Instead it kind of feels like wise old Prime is tired of violence but still knows sometimes it's the only answer. Like those people who tell you violence is the last resort not the first one.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus is better of not being violent, because when he is everybody and their dog start whining about "getting him wrong daaamn yoou michael bay".

Yet WFC Optimus got away with killing everything in sight, how come? Oh yeah, he got a g1 inspired design, hurf durf

8. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

What SPLIT LIP said. Optimus would have wasted Megatron on the spot in the '86 movie if Hot Rod didn't intervene. I mean, Megatron pretty much started one of the largest blood-feuds in the entire universe - like hell Optimus was gonna shake his finger and say "No, bad Megatron."

And like Ash said - Though what makes Optimus (and every other Autobot) more civilized is that he wants the bloodshed to end, yet he must continue the bloodshed to end it. It just makes the war an actual emotional conflict to the Autobots.

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd kind of disagree with that. Optimus in this series does come off as a little more tired of the war then a seemingly younger Prime like his G1 counterpart. But at the same time, he has shown that he is willing to throw down if his enemies threaten what he believes in, and those that he cares about.

He was pretty much ready to kill Megatron in that battle at the end of the first 5 parter, if it meant stopping his army of robo-zombies.

Indeed. I've excepted that movie Prime has become a homicidal maniac to this fandom now, but lets try and keep that characteristic exclusive to the Bay-verse.

That said, sometimes taking out the head of an enimy is the quickest way to ending a battle.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I don't know, I think Optimus has pretty decent standing in this show. He's shown to be very powerful (Starscream's arm), but he isn't violent in the sense that he doesn't use his strength unless he needs it. That makes him respectable and heroic in my eyes.

11. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I would rather him be more like the Movieverse Optimus. This version of Optimus has a nasty habit of showing compassion to the wrong people - the Decepticons, in the process ignoring the people the Decepticons have hurt.

Take the incident with Skyquake and Starscream - the latter, if you will remember, murdered Cliffjumper. Optimus tried to negotiate a peace with the guy that Optimus knows either actually murdered Cliffjumper or witnessed it and did nothing to stop it. What about Cliffjumper? Some compassion there.

Then there's the recent situation with Breakdown. He used two justifications to rescue Breakdown, one of which was ludicrous: by rescuing Breakdown, he was hoping to offer redemption as well. From what we've seen of Breakdown, he's an arrogant, murderous jerk who has the slightly redeeming tendency of being reluctant to attack those who bailed him out. Both Miko and Bulkhead can testify that Breakdown is a sociopath of the first order, yet Optimus completely disregarded Bulkhead's extensive experience with Breakdown to rescue him. I know that Bulkhead's judgment isn't always good, but once again, he has had actual experience with Breakdown. Can Optimus say the same?

Then there is the way he phrased it: "Rise above ourselves." Apparently this means "rising above" our common sense. I've come to the conclusion that this version of Optimus actually does have a distinguishing flaw: he's a self-righteous idiot.

12. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well I guess I can't make Prime as violent in my fanfic as he is in the movies if I want him to be all noble and in line with his TFP incarnation. I was going to have him stick his sword through two Vehicons faces at once and rip another in two down the middle. I was also going to have stick a hook in Breakdown's back to grab him and then slice his arm off to prevent him from grabbing Fox Mulder. A little too violent I guess? What do all of you think?

13. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    That's definitely more "No-holds-barred warrior fighting for the preservation of his race" Movie Optimus than "Yeah...we should probably hide in a cave or whatever" Prime Prime.

Also, X-Files/Prime crossover? I love X-Files just enough to want to read that.

14. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

I really don't like Bayverse OP's violence. I prefer OP to be someone who's inherently unrealistically pacifist, but who makes war out of necessity and feels conflicted about it.

I wouldn't like seeing him give too much quarter... but I don't really feel that any incarnation of him I can think of has done that, really.

15. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It's in the fanfiction section. Damn I sure want to make Prime violent. But...I don't know. I wonder what he should do to Megatron and Starscream? Well at least Starscream. Slice his legs off? Grab him in midair and slice his wings off before slamming him into a cliff? What should Ratchet do to Knockout and some Vehicons to protect Scully? I already have some tension going between the two Doc Bots.

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh, no he doesn't? They don't know shit about how Cliffjumper died, they only know he died. And even then that is 100% irrelevant because atleast trying to negotiate for peace is just logical, specially if they're a dying race. There's things more important than GRR YOU KILLED MY FRIEND THAT HAD A KNACK FOR GETTING IN SUICIDE SITUATIONS ANYWAY.

Movie Optimus is a dumbass that shoots decepticons that are talking about their master plan in the face and thinks killing himself in the middle of a fight will save Earth.

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When you consider that the war has been going on for millions of years and that both sides have no doubt racked up high body counts and that every day of their lives is one more battle, then Optimus would be a fool not to try and find a peaceful means to end the war. With Megatron presumed dead, he found himself in a rare position to do so.

Watching that part again, I don't get the feeling that converting Breakdown into an Autobot was ever part of the plan. Sure, he says Decepticons are capable of change, but that was in direct response to Bulkhead's cynical remark. It seems to me that despite the war, Optimus doesn't want his team to forget that they're still fighting people with sparks. I'm reminded of the panel in Marvel TFs where Rodimus kills Galvatron. Kup runs up cheering his victory, when Rodimus yells at Kup, telling him that no death should ever be celebrated and that despite being the most evil Decepticon of all, Galvatron was still a person.
    And as you noted, the real reason Optimus wanted to rescue Breakdown was to prevent MECH from getting any technological secrets from him.

I think he meant "rise above your hatred of the enemy." Even G1 Prime teamed up with Megatron on the rare occasion, putting their hatred aside for the common good. I don't think anyone would consider giving in to your hatred and letting it consume you a heroic or virtuous quality.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

No. :lol  No he doesn't need to be that.

Shroob and Mako pretty much covered this, but I'll just add, Optimus offered Screamer a chance to end the war, but he's hardly soft on the guy. a few episodes later he had no issue blowing Screamers whole arm off.

Actually that is not accurate. Optimus did not expect that Breakdown would be have a change of heart. He in fact did recognize that Bulk and him have a past, and was why he said he respected Bulkhead's decision not to help. However...

...What he was getting at is rising above our own feeling of contempt of an enemy for the greater good, or rather, the bigger picture. The bigger picture being MECH. Allowing this terrorist group to use Breakdown to get Cybertronian technology, making them a bigger threat to both the Autobots and humanity.

...Maybe you should be doing a movie-verse fan-fic instead.

19. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I'm not crazy about the movie verse. I like Transformers Prime WAY WAY better. Plus, X-Files is completely incompatible with the movie verse. If Mulder and Scully existed in the movie verse, believe me, Mulder at least would have run into the bots by the second movie for sure. Probably by the first. However, TFP could be completely compatible as the bots are still a secret unknown to the world except through rumors. Plus, in TF Prime, the Autobot writing looks a lot like the alien writing covering that spaceship Scully discovers in the episode, "Biogenesis". I seriously doubt an X-Files/Transformers Prime crossover would ever happen in real life. All I'm saying is that not only is Transformers Prime better written in my opinion, but I could see Mulder and Scully in it far more than in the movies.

20. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    This Optimus needs to start a face collection.