Customs: how to weaken glue holding heads together

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rotorstorm, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sick of this, I'm taking apart a WFC Megatron to customise and his head just won't come apart, I removed the screw in the back and even tried levering using a knife (slipped a little and knicked my thumb)

I'm in no mood to hurt myself again today so does anyone have any suggestions for taking this thing apart that doesn't involve destroying the head or myself?

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Not really. anything that will soften the glue wil also soften the plastic. I've always just used brute force, or slowly trying to cut into the seams. If' your going to repaint the head later, you can always just fill in any gouges before paint.

Randy!

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You could try gently scoring along the seam with the knife, if you do it enough times you may be able to cut enough of the glue to weaken the bond (then try prising it apart with a screwdriver :p ).

4. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Paint thinner weakens super-glue, assuming they used the same kind of cyanoacrylate, paint thinner in tiny drips should work. keep adding thin layers of paint thinner and slowly wear down the glue, too much at once will melt the plastic altogether.

5. RumbleG1

RumbleG1 Active Member

I normally just gently pry them apart as you have been doing, but after taking a chunk out of my finger the other week, I recommend wearing a pair of heavy gloves for doing jobs like this.

6. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got the head to come apart, literally, one of the sides is falling off, that's even after scoring along the seems. Thankfully i managed to do that without further injuring myself or damaging the light piping (scraped the paint off so it works properly now.) Even with the side off though it was still difficult to separate. it was so difficult I'm tempted to leave my second wfc Megatron's head where it is when I customise it into Flame.