How to waste your money on Japanese imports!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If I had the money I would buy exclusively Takara unless Hasbro made a product they didn't (the recent Cybertron basics, for example, of Alt Prime).
    Why?
    Because although Takara have done nothing to earn my loyalty, Hasbro UK have been actively trying to lose it for years.

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    The only time i get one from importing when they are gifts and someone did it to suprise me. I usually just wait for the us version

3. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I can understand people living internationally not mattering for them since it probably costs the same either way. I'd just buy whatever was easiest and cheapest to get. They're just toys after all, that extra paint app isn't going to matter to anyone but myself anyways.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    For a moment, I thought this was a thread to harass people who bothered to get any import, or about some auction with an overpriced asking price.

Anyway, in regards to your question, I haven't a clue.

In many ways, I've been exceptionally lucky, with what has and hasn't been released. I wasn't sold on Superlink mini-megs, and Convoy, at their original import price, but managed to pick up the US TRU exclusives; I jumped at the pre-order special on GF Vector Prime and Starscream, but passed on the rest.

At first, I started importing figures that we're never going to see that I was interested in, Big Convoy, BW Ravage, BWII Galvatron, etc. When Car Robots came out, I jumped on most of the figures, including Brave Maximus. In retrospect, had I known that RiD was coming, I probably would've waited on a few of them.

When the lines synched up, I passed on the Japanese versions, save for a very select few, Galvatron G, or Primus, out of personal interests.

However, like you, I can't understand essentially paying for a sticker, or some other trivial difference.

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

One of my friends imports japanese toys and sells them online and I got 3 GFs off him: Megatron, Thundercracker, and Starscream. I paid a lot of them and aside from SS I don't think it's worth the money, despite superior packaging. I'll only get japanese TFs if they are only available in Japan like black lio convoy which I am still looking for.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I doubt Archonia expect to sell many of them... they probably have them on hand to sell to Europe based Transfans who don't have SW TF's local to them and can't import them becasue of extortionate customs procedures.

Since they don't have access to Hasbro toys. (Getting Hasbro TF's is a messy procedure if you're an online retailer even in the US) this roundabout way is probably their only means of getting them.

7. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Myself I only buy the imports that are totally different or I know that i can't find here like the remolded Bwars prime and megs and twincast

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I really pick and choose what to import. From GF I imported the Noisemaze simply because I had PayPal money and he looked too cool to wait on. I also grabbed Autovolt for the same reason. Now that the Cyb version of both are out I am still glad I have Noisemaze because I am a sucker for vac-metal, but Autovolt is great but I look at him as a $25 version of a $10 toy. I guess this doesn't say a whole lot, but i usually can be patient and wait for domestic. However, if I really want something I'll order it regardless. An example is GF Soundwave (my favorite of G1'ers). He is way cool, but QC issues have scared me into waiting.

With all of this under my belt I am a BT completist because:
    A) Die-cast is great. I love all die-cast robots and couldn't pass up an opportunity for very realistic die-cast T-Formers.

B) I love the faithful dedication Takara has shown to bring realistic cars to market. After getting Riccochet, D-charge, and Prowl I wish Hasbro would do the same.

C) BT's flat out rule, and I am addicted. it doesn't help that some good deals out there have allowed me to have multiples of most BT's other than Meister and Shockwave.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    First off, let me say that I buy both Hasbro and Takara products...

Second of all, I don't see why anyone has to answer anything about how or why they collect the way the collect...

If a person wants to buy Takara only, why not??? It's their money, let them do what they want...

If a person wants to buy Hasbro only, fine... It's their money, they can choose what product they wish to buy... Simple as that...

So what I don't understand is why people have to judge others on what TOYS they buy...

Part of it is brand loyalty... Yes, maybe we're all brand whores... I know I am to a certain extent... I buy my gas from Shell or Chevron only... I only wear Adidas shoes... Are there cheaper alternatives??? Sure there are... There's Brand X gas and Brand X shoes... But I prefer to buy the more expensive product... Why??? Because I like them better...

Same thing on cars... I like imported cars be it European or Japanese... I stay away from American cars...

I buy Takara's BT, BT*, TFC, regular re-issues, and Galaxy Force lines... Why do I pay extra for that??? Well here's a breakdown:

BT: I like diecast metal and I think it makes a difference between them and the Alternators line... I like the packaging... I like the booklets... I like the die cast metal car look you see in people's home office shelves...

BT*: Same thing... And I like the extra little drivers that come with them...

TFC: I love the re-issues of this line... Again, packaging is great and consistent... The booklet pages you can detach and put into the folder that comes with Convoy is great...
    And Hasbro pretty much KILLED their re-issue line...

Regular Re-Issues: Again, Hasbro pretty much killed their re-issue line... And where else can I get my hands on an Anime Galvatron or a Star Convoy??? Not through Hasbro, that's for sure...

Galaxy Force: Here's the main point I guess as to why we're discussing this in the first place... I like Galaxy Force... I like the cartoon better than Cybertron... Why??? Because Galaxy Force has less annoying voice overs than Cybertron does... When I was watching the cartoon, it made me want the figures... And which line was pumping them out??? Takara... I liked the subtle differences that Takara had to offer like the no faction badges for many of the characters...

Does it merit shelling out extra cash instead of waiting for Cybertron??? That's anyone's debate... For me, yes it is... I liked owning the figures as I watched the cartoon... I liked getting them what seems like MONTHS before Cybertron put them out... I liked the packaging better than Cybertron... I like having the fact that I'm done collecting the Galaxy Force line now (with the exception of Primus) and can take a break from importing... It's like a vacation to me... :thumbs2: 

But on top of this, I buy from Hasbro as well... I Hasbro's Cybertron exclusives, Alternators, and whatever re-issue they've managed to put out that Takara didn't... Here's a breakdown of why I do that:

Cybertron Exclusives: If I were a brand whore Takara fanboy, I wouldn't even GLANCE at Cybertron... But I'm not, which is why I really appreciate Hasbro's pushing out of exclusives... I love Downshift... I love King Starscream... I bought all the exclusives they've put out minus the repaints... I think it's great to incorporate some characters that were not in the show and I thank Hasbro for doing so...

Alternators: If Binal Tech and the Asterisk line were Kool Aid, Alternators would be the sugar... It sweetens collecting the line for me... Why??? I can pose and display these and keep the BT/BT* in their boxes to prevent damage to the paint job... Plus I love the Hasbro only Alternators, even if they are straight up repaints... I have no animosity to this line what so ever and I PRAY that Hasbro can keep it going without losing steam with the stalling on Takara's side...

Hasbro Commemorative Re-Issues: Great idea, horribly expensive... Which is why I only bought the ones that Takara didn't push out... But I have Hasbro to thank for putting out Skywarp and Thundercracker... If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have those two right now...

So there it is... I still don't see why people try to judge others based on whether they import or not... Or whether they are Hasbro or Takara fanboys... Because in the end, what are we arguing about again???

That's right...

TOYS...

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I could cite a dozen cases where my storage of product codes has enabled me to interpret a store listing before anyone else, thus making it possible to "guess" the upcoming release.

Aside from that... Did I hit a nerve or what? :) 

Once again: I see no problem if someone decides to be a "completist" and wants to get BOTH version.

I have no problem if a European imports Takara toys when they cost him the same as picking up domestic Hasbro releases.

What I can't understand is people insisting on buying the Japanese version even if it's identical to the Hasbro version, ONLY because it's the "Japanese version".

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Maybe he/she is a brand whore... Maybe Hasbro did something to him/her that created animosity towards that brand... Who knows???

But in the end, why try to understand someone else's choice??? People make choices for their own reasons so shouldn't that be good enough??? Do we really have to concern ourselves with what other people do or don't do???

That's all I'm asking... :thumbs2: 

12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I am a brand whore Takara fanboy, and I still bought Downshift and some mini-cons. I don't think a Takara fanboy has ever accused people of only buying Hasbro stuff, as some great evil.

You spelled it out thoroughly, Razerwire. Hopefully people will get off their high horses and quit complaining about our spending habits.

13. GetterDragun

GetterDragun Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, you mean you can be first to post a news item! You must feel like a big man. I also find it funny how you also post like 24 hours a day? Don't you have anything better to do? I mean, in this great post, you're trying to laugh at people for spending $10 more, but look whose on Transformer websites 24hours a day and who thinks it's cool to be the "Transformer UPS code Cataloger". Go you!

And no, you didn't hit a nerve because I prefer US boxed figures to Japanese as I grew up with the US boxes. But why do you care if people buy Japanese boxes over the US? Sounds like this thread is more out of envy that trying to make a point.

14. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Another great thing about imports (or mail order in general) is that there is nothing better after a shitty day at work than coming home to see your haul on stting there on your porch waiting like a lovelost puppy dog. IMO it is way better than cruising around, wasting petrol, looking for something that you may not find.

Then again when on a Target run it can really make the trip worthwhile if you find that one piece you've been looking high and low for.

Also as an aside, why all of the hostility? The one thing that bugs me more than anything about this board and TF fandom in particular is all of the negativity. Whether is about brands or how every new mold seems to "suck" doesn't matter, there is just a surplus of negative energy. from the importal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

:)  :)  :)  :) 

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Exactly... :thumbs2: 

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    GetterDragun, you're getting very close to getting a warning. I will not tolerate any further insults or flame baiting towards other members of the site.

17. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

Excellent post on Razerwire's part!

Why should it matter? Why try to understand it? Who cares?

You know what a REAL question is: How could anyone POSSIBLY enjoy Sesame Street over the Muppets!?!

Now THAT'S important stuff!

Also, Razerwire digs ding dongs. And Nevermore relishes redheads.

Have fun :D 

18. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I guess I'm that foolish wasteful sot referred to in the beginning of this post since I've bought Takara over Hasbro figs simply because of the character's name. I bought Dreadrock 'cause I'm sick of their blatant overuse of "Jetfire". I bought GF Skids cause I thought Clocker was one of the most ridiculous stupid names Hasbro has ever pulled out of their collective heineys. For me, it was worth the extra money just to never have to see those stupid idiotic names rearing their ugly heads in my collection list.

On the other hand, I've also imported out of necessity, and just natural preference to Takara's product, too. I got BT Hound because it appeared the southern states were never gonna get Alt Hound (it finally showed up about 6 months after its original release date). I imported BT * Alert and Sunstreaker for their cool little drivers, and IMHO Hasbro made 'Streaker look bad with the big black stripe.

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok, but how many cases like that have we actually seen? I can't think of any, maybe this is one of those things that we all assume there's at least one crazy fan doing out there but really turns out to be so few people or none at all that's it irrelevant. You're making it sound like there's a huge portion of the community that do this, I'm just trying to figure out if there really is or not.

20. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

:lol