How to use the "BEST OFFER" option on Ebay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Noisemaze2006, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I was just answering a question on the Seibertron forums about my Custom MP Thundercracker auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130184347032&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

It seems that nobody knows how to use Ebay's "best offer" feature & nobody on the Earth knows what the word "haggle" means anymore. So here's what I wrote over on Seibertron & I think it might be helpful to everybody here.

If this auction doesn't sell I was planning to relist it as a regular auction with a reserve. I usually have good luck with the best offer option. I have a price in mind & if somebody gets close to it I'll let them have it. So far I got 1 offer for $100.00 which is way too low considering the time & effort I put into it. But I don't expect to get $299.99 for it either. People just need to start using the best offer option more. NOBODY seems to understand how that works. They send an offer, then I send a counter offer & then they stop. It seems to me that I'm the ONLY person alive these days that knows what the word "haggle" means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggling

I start the auction high, you send a low offer, I send a counter offer a little lower than my original price, then you send another offer a little higher than your 1st offer. Eventually we meet in the middle & agree on a price. Nobody understands it these days! They send 1 offer & if I don't accept it that's it! It's over! Ebay allows 3 offers, after I send a counter offer it says "you have 2 offers remaining" but people these days just don't get it. I NEVER get a chance to use the other 2 offers. I send the counter offer & then they just drop off the face of the planet. I don't wanna be too offensive but people are stupid these days. There's really no other way to put it. Ebay put the best offer option on the auction but nobody knows how to use it (except me).

A guy on Ebay was selling a loose Beast Wars Spittor for BIN $4.99 or best offer. I submitted a $2.00 offer. instead of him sending a counter offer he just ignored it. When I emailed him & asked why he refused to send a counter offer he told me that he's not gonna bother with such a lowball & offensive offer. He just didn't understand the concept of counter offers or haggling. So I think that Spittor is STILL for sale & got mine from a different seller that wasn't such a tool. He lost the sale because he was overly sensitive & my original offer hurt his feelings. How can you put "best offer" on your auction & when somebody makes an offer you don't bother to make a counter offer? I mean really! When somebody makes a low offer you automatically make a counter off until you both finally agree on a price. You don't make 1 offer & it's "take it or leave it!", that's not how it works.

Anybody that doesn't understand what the word "Haggle" means should NEVER use the "best offer" option.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I only use the "best offer" option when somebody is being an obvious idiot (like selling a KO worth $5 for $100) and then I usually offer $1.

They never respond, but I never expect them to.

I don't think so. I find it slightly offensive that you make this claim and feel the need to "teach" us, as if the rest of us are idiots. Plenty of us understand how haggling and "best offer" works - it just sounds like you're dealing exclusively with people that don't.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  3. thlinux

thlinux O/S Prime

Ebay:
    noisemaze,
    I couldn't agree more. You get the same thing selling a car. People call and ask "what's the lowest amount you'll take?". A seller would have to be an idiot to answer that. My answer is make me an offer. You will not offend me with a low offer. I will simply counter offer. Anyone that takes offense at a low offer is a moron. On eBay I wish you could give feedback for people who use Buy it Now or make an offer in their auction and don't counter offer. What's the point of make an offer?

4. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i make most of my best deals haggling without the buyer using the best offer option, and it saves me from the ebay fees. and I have some good stuff up on ebay, and nobody has even given me a low offer, but the best offer option is there. sometimes a fig isnt in demand and people just dont want to waste the time putting an offer in or they dont have the money to buy it, so making an offer would be a moot point for them. and rather than offend the seller, they rather just not offer anything. anyways, thats how I see it. but if your stuff is highly sought after and sits in an ebay store long enough, someone will come along and snag it.

I love to haggle, especially when its outside of ebay.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, there's the thing about lowballing people too. It seems like every time I make a legitimate offer (here or ebay, mostly here) and the seller thinks it's too low, they get pissed and offended that I would dare to make such an offer.

It's gotten to the point where I won't make an offer on stuff in the junkion unless there's a price or ballpark figure quoted.

6. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Well, I'm sorry you feel slightly offended but from my experience & point of view nobody but me knows how to use it. I'm writing this from "my point of view" & from my personal experience I haven't seen one single person use "best offer" properly. Every single person so far has sent 1 offer & NEVER sent a counter offer even though the feature is available to them. I can't write it from anybody elses point of view but my own & it looks like a lot of people need to have this explained to them. It looks like they just don't get it at all. Plenty of you understand but for every person that does understand there's probably a dozen that don't.

You're behaving like my thread is a personal attack on you. It's not, you may know how it works but there are plenty of people that don't. Like the guy I used in my example with the Beast Wars Spittor. That guy clearly had no idea how it works. Instead of simply submitting a counter offer he got offended. Then when I asked him why he won't send a counter offer (which implies that I'm willing to spend more) he got all sensitive & girly about it.

This thread isn't a personal attack on anybody. But there are a lot of people out there that just don't understand what the word "haggle" means. I'm willing to bet most of the population never even heard the word before because stores simply don't use haggling anymore. I'm sure there are tons of kids & teenagers that never heard the word before. These days stores set their price & that's it. Haggling doesn't really exist anymore. Even older people don't haggle anymore. So you can't really expect most people to understand how Ebay's "best offer" feature works.

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    See, the thing is I just don't agree with this paragraph at all. A few sellers on ebay does not a population make. Sure, there's some people that don't get into bargaining and may not understand all the logistics of the "best offer" function, but to say the majority of the population doesn't understand the concept of haggling and bargaining?

Come on.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  8. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    first, you have to have something to haggle about, with tf's on ebay, alot of people can find what they are looking for without going thru the process of haggling.

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Again, this is from MY point of view. I say "majority" of the population because the majority is used to going to a store & the price on the sticker is the price. No if's and's or but's. So yeah, the majority of the population doesn't use haggling very much. A lot probably have never even heard the word. So when Ebay puts up a new feature called "best offer" I'm willing to bet that the majority of the population just doesn't get it.

But again, that's just my point of view from my personal experience. I just wish people would learn how to negotiate using the best offer option.

I know in my everyday life I NEVER hear the word haggle or negotiate when it comes to buying something. It just NEVER comes up.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Alright, some people don't know how to haggle and need to learn if they're going to use the "Best Offer" option. Let's leave it at that.

11. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    haggle, haggle, haggle!!!

12. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Some times I use "Best Offer" some times I don't. It happens that I just don't want to do like a 3 days haggling and waiting for offers and counter offers, I'm not that patient when I go ebay hunting, so if I get a counter offer I don't agree with I more than often just go searching for the figure somewhere else.

BTW. It's a BEAUTIFUL figure, I'd throw in an offer :) 

13. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

*sigh*

That doesn't really help but okay, whatever.

Catch'ya later!

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Exactly - but that doesn't mean you don't understand the concept.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into this.

15. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    I think you are MMM. What I get from it is that he's trying to inform people that dont know or are apprehensive about the "best offer" option, and for that I give him a thumbs up. you can never have to much info on ebay transactions-thats what I believe, and if this can help sombody out thats never used it before, then its a good thing.

16. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    If you want to learn how to haggle, go to Thailand. They haggle, you haggle, and in the end you always get robbed :crazy: 

17. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Theres two side of the coin on this...I have used the best offer function before and NEVER haggle with anyone, I simply offer them what I feel like the item is worth, if they reject it so be it. If something is listed for 100 bucks, and I feel its "worth" 50. I offer 50, I am not going to go back and offer 75 if they reject it, because thats not what I thought it was worth.

Worth is speculative and subjective, and some people take it personally when when you reject what they think is a "fair" price. I know when I have offered someone a price and they rejected it, that the end of it, because I maxed what I was willing to pay.

18. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Haggling is pretty common in Hong Kong as well.

19. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I guess it's even more common on fleamarkets !

20. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Every time I use the best offer option I just get rejected with no counter offer or response at all. And most of the time it's only 15-20 max short of the bin price. I mean what's the use of using it if the seller won't even bother to respond.